Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   2003 Suzuki Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1395-2003-suzuki-reader-feedback.html)

Ken_Packard 09-25-2002 10:57 AM

Yes, but would you NOT buy the 999 because of how it looks?

I agree that when given the CHOICE between two bikes that are available at the same time (unfortunately the ultra sexy 998 is no longer available) the public will press the "sexy" button.

However, how many riders make their ultimate decision based on appearance? In other words, would someone NOT buy the 999, even though functionally it is a superior machine, because of the way it looks?

Rob-SV650 09-25-2002 11:44 AM

Re: 2003 Suzuki Reader Feedback

Just wanted to pipe in that I agree that function should always come before form unless the bike costs $$$ like a Ducati Monster S4 or an Aprilia Tuomo, in which case it better have both.

However, I wish they would have kept the round frame form the original SV. The original SV, particularly in red, is a beautiful bike (in person it is - pictures never do it justice). Kinda like a Ducati with Japanese engine technology and reliability. The new one looks Japanese too.

Oh well, I'm sure it will still be fun to ride anyway....

crankin500 09-25-2002 01:55 PM

Re: Stiction is not in my dictionary

Sorry, I used dictionary.com. I'll have to check elsewhere next time.

crankin500 09-25-2002 03:04 PM

Re: Not the same as TLR

The SV1000 does not have the same engine specs. as the TLR. SV has 36mm. intake valves vs. 40mm. for TLR and 11.3:1 compression vs. 11.7:1. The SV1000 may have the same specs. as the TL1000S. I hope its nothing less.

dardas 09-25-2002 04:05 PM

Re: Hyosung

That Hyosung-Suzuki partnership was evient in the 90's, but I belive that Hyosung is trying to distance themselves from Suzuki these days. Same with Daelim and Honda.

The Korean cycle makers seem to be following in the footsteps of the Korean auto makers. Hyundai, Daewoo, and Kia all created parterships and took design/engineering cues from many Japanese, European, and even US companies.

Here's to seeing a Korean 600 Supersport in 2006.

dardas 09-25-2002 04:07 PM

Hate to see your wife/gf ;-)

Benji_2 09-25-2002 06:49 PM

My boss just bought a Pontiac Aztek. For those of you who don't know what one is, your eyes have been saved a great distress. Anyway, he goes on and on about how well it drives, how nice the interior is, how easily it transports his aging mother, and blah, blah, blah....I personally wouldn't care if the thing ran on air or folded out into a swimming pool or deployed little robot mechanics to fix itself should a problem arise! The thing is UGLY!!! Oh, but it functions so well and look, a tent pops out the back. Who freaking cares? Looks matter. Call me shallow or whatever, but one should be able to enjoy the look of his bike as well as the way it rides. I owned an SV 650 and loved the way it rode/handled/sounded. For a Japanese bike, I thought it looked pretty good, although I think the Ducati Monster looks much better. But, the SV in terms of looks was in the good category. Yes we've gained more function for 2003, but at what cost? I'm not saying the new bikes are ugly, but they don't look as good as the original. I'd still like an SV 1000.

By the way, I think the Aztek looks like a Tranformer in mid-transformation. I just kind of look at it and wait for it to do something. Yeah and the Chevy Avalanche is also an ugly piece of crap.

Duken4evr 09-25-2002 06:54 PM

SV1000 Conservative?

I dunno, the flaming meat curtain tail light is pretty suggestive. It could cause arousal for the males that happed to follow behind you :)

sarnali 09-25-2002 07:53 PM

Well, glad to see I'm not the only one at the shallow end of the pool, if I think a bike or car is ugly, I wouldn't buy it if it was gold plated and leaked Hienie's, However just 'cause I think it's butt-Ug doesn't mean it is , and to someone else it might be beautiful, case in point, your bosses hurl-wagon, form and function have to balance, total performance bikes and drop dead lookers are usualy impractical on a day to day basis , but a bike has to look good as well as run good or it'll just grate on your eyeballs after a while,

dardas 09-26-2002 02:46 AM

Re: SV1000 Conservative?

I could get my 15 minutes of fame on a Discovery Channel nature show ;-)