Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Reader Feedback: 2002 Intermot (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1393-reader-feedback-2002-intermot.html)

itchface 09-23-2002 09:10 AM

Re: Compliment

Though it pains me to the core to agree with anyone named Richard Nixon, I must concur on the favorable Multistrada evaluation. My first reaction to it was to violently upchuck, but it somehow has grown on me like a zit on the forehead of a Backstreet Boy. I can't imagine that the 950 Duke's styling will become any less nausea-inducing with greater exposure though. The Duke's specs are mind-boggingly impressive. It deserves styling that does not assault the eyes of a potential purchaser.

EP 09-23-2002 09:30 AM

Re: New SV's styling

Damn! I'm glad someone said this. The new look is UGLY! The frame was the best looking part of the SV650. One can only hope that the remaining SV650's will be heavily discounted to make room for the new ugly framed bikes.

SlowBear 09-23-2002 01:12 PM

Re: Reader Feedback: 2002 Intermot

Probably the only German in the group, the beer is very good. ;-)

Seriously, the Roadster is a small bright spot in a very dim line up. For $5K less than a GS (without ABS) you get a bike that is better in just about every way. Now watch the GS out sell the Roadster 5 to 1 . BTW, I've owned the 1100 version of both bikes, the Roadster is even better off road than the GS, at least at the speeds I'm going to use riding a street bike (and they are both street bikes) off pavement.

SlowBear

Z3Coupe 09-23-2002 09:52 PM

So am I gonna be the only idiot that says the Guzzi MGS/01 (Metal Gear Solid? hehehe) looks absolutely gorgeous?

*DROOL*

Matthew

SeanAlexander 09-24-2002 06:55 AM

Pretty Guzzi!

You're not the only one... I'll take two please.

ollie 09-24-2002 09:13 AM

I love it too. However, am I the only one who's reminded of that somewhat-recent Honda prototype when I look at it? I forget the name of the Honda, but it had that same "slim-red-top-piece-riding-on-a-big-naked-engine" look to it.

96sp 09-24-2002 01:04 PM

Re:Ducati in trouble

You are so right, Pierre is so over his head he doesn't even know it and Ducati is in so deep with this guy they have to back his designs ( at least for now). He is just fumbling around with shapes and hoping for the best. Bring back the Great Massimo Tamburini. Can you imagine if the MV F4 was the new 999? Instead we get a steaming turd of a design. And by the way yes I can do better.

mxgb5 09-24-2002 07:10 PM

It does look great. Is there any word on whether the smaller monster-esque bike is coming Stateside?

Captain_1 09-25-2002 04:54 AM

Re: MotoGuzzi Breva

Look for it at your Guzzi retailer next September as an '04 model. The Breva should also be on the U.S. show circuit by year end.

SlowBear 09-25-2002 06:06 AM

seruzawa,

You are correct, the CS was built for Europe and is being brought to the US as an afterthought. What I still do not understand is the decisions being made, regardless of market. Does anybody say "I will not buy that bike because it has an option for saddle bags"? If you don't want bags, don't order them. It is the same for the styling, cutting edge is cool but take look at the Benelli Tornado. It is as far out as anything in production and is also attractive. Same for the MV F4. Good stylists can make a bike that is progressive and attractive. Second rate stylists can do one or the other.

Given the loss of market share BMW has had in the US I'd say BMW is looking pretty second rate. Ducati has also lost market share since Terblanche took over, I'd say because of the same problem. Both are hiding behind the old "our styling is so progressive some people don't get it" excuse. I'd say the emperor has no clothes. I can say for sure they have pushed this Ex-Ducati and multi BMW owner to other companies.

JMO,

SlowBear