Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Reader Feedback: 2002 Intermot (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1393-reader-feedback-2002-intermot.html)

fxrt 09-21-2002 04:21 PM

Re: Reader Feedback: 2002 Intermot

Did anyone notice that the new naked Kawi 1000 is a very close knock-off of this bike. No parts problems and half the price!

itchface 09-21-2002 07:32 PM

Re: SV1000 frame and suspension.

You know, I've been vacillating back on forth on whether to get the SV1000N or the new ZR1000 when the two materialize. The avant-garde styling of the ZR was starting to grow on me, and specs seemed mighty enticing.

But, just now I decided very firmly that the SV is the bike for me. The reasons? I read somewhere that the portion of the ZR's frame behind the engine which looks like aluminum is actually just a beauty cover, intended to look like part of an aluminum perimeter frame. This irks me to no end. Plus the SV has adjustable compression damping front and rear, and the ZR has no such feature.

I hope Suzuki will forgive me for my wandering eye.

BTW, DJS, thanks for the links you sent me!

sarnali 09-21-2002 07:45 PM

Re: New SV's styling

I'd like to see the gsx1400n over here, the sv1000 looks cool but a bigger inline four would be nice, I've seen pictures on the Brit web sites, and the blue and white version is dope as *****, I guess U.S. Suzuki doesn't want to rob sales from the Bandit line, you can just see the tail section behind the gsxr1000 in the photo's, MCN-UK has some good reviews of it.

TheFox 09-21-2002 08:09 PM

Agreed. I personally think that the looks of the GSX 1400 would draw sales from the cruiser market myself, based on its incredible presence alone. In the pics I have seen, that bike looks sharp. Plus all that power...man. What a ride that would be.

--Foxy

dwr461 09-22-2002 03:20 AM

Thanks Fxrt. That might not too bad of a price.

Take care,

Dave

rsheidler 09-22-2002 05:58 AM

Flash Gordon is immediately what came to mind first time I saw one. IMHO, it is every bit as ugly in person as in pictures, but that is just a personal opinion. Functionally, I am sure it is a great bike -- I have ridden several on the earlier BMW 650s and really enjoyed them. When I heard this one was coming, I had high hopes, but I guess I am shallow too, cause I just couldn't put one in my garage.

BorgBiker 09-22-2002 06:21 AM

The SV1000 has lost appeal for me, compared to the SV650. I thought they'd just take a TL1000S and remove the fairing, raise the handlebars and call it a day. That's what I wanted. I guess I'll have to do it myself, the new one has gone well over halfway to ugly.

SlowBear 09-22-2002 09:53 AM

Banda,

I've seen an F650CS in the flesh and I can't say it looked a lot better to me.

I may well be wrong but I think the F650CS and lots of other new bikes would stand a better chance of selling well if they were pretty instead of cutting edge. The Beemer may sell in Europe or other parts of the world but I just don't see a large groups of Americans buying it.

I live near a collage town and we have sun shine most of the year, I can easily see the young studs and hotties zooming to class on a fleet of F650CSes. I just can't see Mom and Dad coming up with nearly $10K ("You could get a nice, used Corolla for that much!" says the parental units) when they would still need a car (hard to carry dirty laundry, books, laptop, CDs, MP3s, and other essentials back to mom's on a bike with no saddle bags) and parking for both. Most of the twenty somethings I know (not that many) are working hard to keep a roof over their heads and pay off collage bills, ten large for a toy is out of the question. BMW wrote off the old folks with the styling and lack of bags, who's left?

OTOH, I'm not a marketing guru, I couldn't be completely wrong and the F650Cs and the others might sell by the boat load.

It'll be fun to watch,

SlowBear

Duken4evr 09-22-2002 02:48 PM

I wish Suzuki had put an inverted fork on the front end of the SV1000. At least it is fully adjustable and no doubt it will be large diameter tubes and quite stiff. Still, I just like the "tough" look of an inverted fork on a stripped bike.

I may have to de-plasticize my '97 TL1000S. I do love it so :)

http://duken4evr.homestead.com/files...ots/SigPic.jpg

ssmiley 09-22-2002 05:13 PM

Perfectly functional, but IÂ’m afraid that truss frame reminds me of a busted open MactchBox car. I guess the marketing boys are hoping most buyers wonÂ’t have flashbacks to the cheap cast toys of our youth.