Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-21-2002, 08:52 AM   #31
SlowBear
Founding Member

Default Re: Reader Feedback: 2002 Intermot

Just to be clear, because my post wasn't, I'm just talking about styling. Functionally a lot of these bikes are awesome. Being an "Adventure Touring" fan the KTM Adventurer looks like an incredible ride.

I don't know if this makes me a shallow person or not but for the last 25 or so years (since I graduated from the junkers I could afford as a kid) I've taken great pleasure in walking into my garage and seeing my bikes. Some of these bikes make me fear I'd either have to cover them (e.g. F650CS, both KTMs) or just ignore them (e.g. 999, 749) or I'd start avoiding my garage.

JMO,

SlowBear
SlowBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-21-2002, 09:53 AM   #32
Benji_2
Founding Member

Default Re: New SV's styling

I have to agree. I had an SV and I really liked how it looked. With the new frame I thought maybe they had to beef it up for the 1000, but they could have made it look better. What I really want to know is how adjustable the suspension will be. Hopefully it won't be another 919 in that regard.

Benji_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 11:33 AM   #33
DurangoKid
Founding Member

Dave,

Moto Guzzi has a press release about all of the models they released at Intermot.

http://www.motoguzzi.it/noaudio/main.htm
DurangoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 12:36 PM   #34
banda
Founding Member

The F650CS isn't nearly as ugly as it appears in photos. I saw one on the road a couple weeks ago, and it was quite attractive. It looks light and fast, and the bodywork has kind of a "bike of the future" sort of look to it... in a Flash Gordon kind of way. The old guy riding it wasn't slow by any means. It appears to be a very capable backroad bike.
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 12:40 PM   #35
banda
Founding Member

I wouldn't steal anything from Ray Charles. Remeber that scene in "Blues Brothers" when he pulls the gun on someone trying to sneak off with his stuff?
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 01:21 PM   #36
FrankS1
Founding Member

About that outside personal transportation. I thought radial brakes were the rage, well maybe inside only. Looks like it's drum brakes on the roller boards, or reverse thrust with the prop, not anything modern. You'd better practice your 130 db "WATCH OUT" yell before you go for the motorized weed eater as the latest transport innovation.
FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 02:37 PM   #37
stevem
Founding Member

Default Re: New SV's styling

Agreed...too angular, which apparently is the new thing.
stevem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 03:04 PM   #38
dwr461
Founding Member

Thanks Durango,

I really like the looks of that bike. I wonder how much it'll end cost, as a "starter" bike.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 04:04 PM   #39
DJS
Founding Member

Default SV1000 frame and suspension.

SV1000 Suspension is fully adjustable front and rear. See the not yet released Suzuki website for details

http://www.suzukicycles.com/sr_03/sp.../sp_SV1000.htm

While I agree the older frame was prettier, this new frame is stronger, lighter and cheaper to manufacture. Instead of being a dozen tubular sections joined by welds, the cross piece from steering head to swingarm is a single cast piece that is actually a truss inside of a truss (look at the frameshots on http://www.mcnews.com.au/NewBikeCata...1000_Page2.htm ).

You lose the pretty look of a hand built frame but it is far superior technically. And somehow it starts to look prettier when you know how much better it is than the old frame.

David

DJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2002, 04:17 PM   #40
fxrt
Registered Member

I was at an open house at a Moto-Guzzi dealer today and spoke to a factory rep and he said the price will be about $8k or same as the Monster 750 when it comes to the usa in Sept 2003
fxrt is offline   Reply With Quote