Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   2003 Kawasaki Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1387-2003-kawasaki-reader-feedback.html)

Dave305 09-16-2002 05:51 PM

Re: Upon closer inspection.....

Think you both missed the point here. On heavy acceleration the weight shifts where? To the rear of course. So where do you want to be putting down the ponies in a high performance vehicle?

Conversely the heavy braking is done in the front, where the weight shifts under braking.

Dave305 09-16-2002 06:01 PM

Re: What are they NOT Selling?

Have you seen the new 500?

Benji_2 09-16-2002 06:15 PM

Re: 2003 Kawasaki Reader Feedback

Man, I think the ZX-6RR is going to be the 600 to have this year. Finally, a 600 with inverted forks! I know on the street this is probably not going to give any added performance, but I've always liked how they looked. The bike looks a bit sleeker and they added a slipper clutch, I can't believe it! This bike just seems to be a whole lot more serious than the Honda or Yamaha. I'm happy for Kawasaki because I feel like they're the ones that find talent in racing, but are always robbed. Look at Carmichael. Bubba Stewart is with them now as well as E. Bostrom, but Honda has the deep pockets so who knows. I'm just glad to see Kawi come out with a bike that (hopefully) will be a cut above the rest.

akcarlson 09-16-2002 06:15 PM

Don't forget Squidly

'Could be that the only ones interested in the RR are the people that actually plan to race it competitively.'

Let's not forget the squids who'll buy one, bolt on the loudest can possible, and hop on (helmet- and gear-less, natch) with their scantily clad girlfriends (likewise attired) and blast up and down the urban streets a 3am.

Sorry. Riding in Chicago has been making me increasingly bitter about the general state of motorcycling. I ride everyday, and on a typical day, I only see a rider wearing a helmet (I've given up all hope for any other protective gear) if I ride by a particularly reflective building. If it's not a yuppie on a high-buck cruiser, it's a young squid with his obviously thong-wearing girlfriend perched on back (which, in and of itself, is obviously not a bad thing, but there's a time and a place).

It almost cheeses me off even more that I'm reduced to this sort of stodgy safety Nazi argument. I'm a freakin' 21 year old biker, shouldn't I be dangerous and carefree?

I'm really looking for validation here, so if you're just planning to ridicule me and ask what kind of BMW I ride, just let me off the hook would you?

akcarlson 09-16-2002 06:28 PM

Ninja value

I can empathize with Kawasaki's reluctance to drop the Ninja moniker. It's valuable to Kawasaki for the same reason it's tired to us motorcyclits: when the average person (non-motorcyclist) sees a sportbike, eight times out of ten (like some of the best market research, I have no science to back that statistic) he/she thinks 'Ninja.' For some reason, people have come to equate sportbike with 'Ninja.'

I think that name will probably be on tailsections for a while, though Kawasaki will predominantly market their bikes alphanumerically.

Benji_2 09-16-2002 06:58 PM

Oh yeah, IT REVS TO 16,000RPMS???!!!!!!!

Unbelievable, I have to say I'm without _____.

BorgBiker 09-16-2002 07:40 PM

Actually, I'm thinking MV Agusta Brutale for the average guy. Very similar profile. I would just about KILL for a Brutale. No it's not the F4, but it has attitude like a Vmax with a sportbike physique. This new ZR1000 has the same vibe. Maybe it's ugly if you think R6's and GSXR's are beautiful (I don't). I look forward to seeing one in the showroom, and riding one, it might just be my next bike.

chrisek 09-16-2002 07:43 PM

Radial Brakes and other stuff

Umm, Formula One, I'm assuming you mean cars here. This is probably one of the most regulated sports (OK, NASCAR is even more so), that logic is difficult because then you could also come up with "How can 17 inch wheels be any good for performance? ALL of the Formula 1 guys use 13s!" I'm not knocking the mid-engine rear wheel drive at all, I'm just saying they don't have a choice either. Just like Audi's quattro system has been banned from many road race organizations (obviously not rally). Coolio? As far as radial brakes: more rigid mounting of the caliper, even pad wear. That's what I hear.

chrisek 09-16-2002 07:46 PM

Re: Where is the 10R(R)

My local Dealer told me the 10R is a twin. Maybe that's why Kawi voted in favor of the inlet restrictions for 1000cc 4's in WSB ;-)

silverr6 09-16-2002 08:10 PM

Re: What are they NOT Selling?

What about it? it hasn't changed, they just keep changing colors on the thing. I agree, as i used to sell them, the 500 and 250 would sell waaaaayyyy better if the fairing were updated to look like sportbkes built less than ten years ago, however since most riders of these bikes are newbies they will be dropping those bikes and the design consistency will save them a great deal of money in replacing the plastic stuff.