Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   2003 Kawasaki Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1387-2003-kawasaki-reader-feedback.html)

tkarp 09-16-2002 01:33 PM

Re: Die-cast models

The new zx6 looks like the old R6, and nothing like the f4i. The new R6 looks like the Ninja 500 with the front tire inches from the fairing. Maybe Kawasaki and Yamaha are sharing design engineers. And the GSX-R's are the uglier than any of the above mentioned. There, I feel better now.

jamesohoh7 09-16-2002 01:37 PM

Re: 2003 Kawasaki Reader Feedback

You sh***ing me... 410lbs dry! wow! So, add like.. what... 30 lbs for oil, water, some gas... man! (no idea how close 30lbs is... I have 2-strokes.. oil + gas are mixed :) )

Anyway!..this bike, on paper, sure shapes up to be a real stormer.

Finally too.. a bike company put USD forks on a 'hooligan' bike (outside of Ducati, of course),

and made them adjustable. Wow again!

I can't wait to find out what the price will be. I've been lusting after a ZRX since their debut, so if I can't afford this new bike, perhaps the ZRX will take a cut in price... Hmmm!

Damn.. Kawi's done good this year.. brand new KX250/125's, this bike, the 600's... very cool! I want one of each. How is it one goes about winning the lottery again?? :)

-James

tkarp 09-16-2002 01:40 PM

Apparently someone broke into the Kawasaki plant, stole the hideous green paint, and designed a modern looking 600 sportbike. I guess miracles can happen. Maybe someday those same vandals will have the nerve to modernize the 900 too. One step at a time I guess.

tkarp 09-16-2002 01:43 PM

Re: Where is the 10R(R)

Indeed, that would be the only way to make the gixxer even uglier than the "flagship" blue/white.

jamesohoh7 09-16-2002 01:57 PM

Re: Upon closer inspection.....

No street bike made by any major/minor companies (not counting 'micro' companies, or ultra high-end stuff), until now, have used radial calipers... including any/all dirt-bikes (I'm a dirt-bike guy too... they're all the 'normal' way).

As to "better/worse/etc...", I would guess they're better if only b/c all the GP race bikes have them now. Why would they go with radial brakes if they weren't?

I find this is a good litmus test for all kinds of things. Ever get in the debate with a buddy about the merits of front-wheel-drive on a car?

Just me? :) (I admit, I'm a car-guy too... in fact: a general gear-head, I appreciate all things engine-fied).

I can't tell you how many times someone's tried to convince me that 'Front-drivers are better, period. The wheels -pull- you around a corner!, you can't lose that way!" (not to be confused with -all-wheel-drive-, mind you.. different animal).

Hmmm.. well, if so, why doesn't Formula One use this "awesome" technology? :)

In fact, all car-racing -EXCEPT- that where the cars are based on originally-equipped front-drivers, are rear-wheel or all-wheel drive.

Thus, I point to racing as the acid test for things like these brakes. I have no actual 'facts' to support same though :)

-James

Buzglyd 09-16-2002 02:30 PM

It looks like Kawi has some really cool stuff on the horizon.

I just wish they would dump the whole Ninja thing. It's tired and dated.

Weren't the Ninja turtles popular in the 80s?

buzz

Captain_1 09-16-2002 02:35 PM

TEENAGEMUTANTNINJATURTLES....

itchface 09-16-2002 02:53 PM

The new Kawasaki 600's look terrific, but their new ergos will cost them the 'most-comfortable 600' crown. Oh well, considering the demographics of the typical 600 sportbike buyer, there's probably no real harm done.

The new ZR1000, if the 410 lb dry weight and 140 hp+ numbers are correct, will make the other naked bikes seem like old, creaky, anachronisms overnight. And to think that the 410 lb figure includes a 4 into 2 into 4 exhaust system. A titanium 4 into 1 should make it about 15 meters lighter (sorry MO; was poking fun at your "forged pistons are 5mm lighter" remark).

The weird-ish looks of the new ZR (splashes of red on an orange bike?) will turn off a lot of the retro-fogies out there, but should make the bike acceptably cool for the pimple-poppers out there.

2003 is gonna' be a very interesting year for motorcyclists!

Captain_1 09-16-2002 02:53 PM

Re: Upon closer inspection.....

I agree... For the real sport driver, FWD is not desirable or just plain sucks depending on the car. Cause when you bump-up the ponies torque steer rips the steering wheel out of your hands and the front-end plows through corners. AWD is another thing altogether but adds weight. Front-Wheel-Drive is fine for your aunt Zelda's economy car. The automakers build'em that way 'cause its cheaper to package. To be fair, some front-drivers are fun. Take a new MINI Cooper S out for a test ride.

itchface 09-16-2002 03:03 PM

I totally agree that the 'Ninja' moniker is about a decade beyond its 'use-by' date. Thing is, the average motorcyclist is way older now than in the mid 80's when we were first burdened with the Ninja name. So now, the name is seen as evidence by more mature riders that these are 'kid's bikes,' and that's gotta' be hurting their image as well as their sales. Why hasn't anybody in the Kawasaki marketing department said anything about this?