Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-16-2002, 10:20 AM   #11
Grover
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Kawasaki Reader Feedback

I'll do my best here...

If you look at any (to my knowledge anyway) production bike so far, the brake calipers are held to the forks by fasteners that extend parallel to the front axle. Radial brakes, which are found on most high end race bikes these days hold the caliper on differently. As you may have guessed, the fasteners extend radially (sort of) inwardly toward the front axle. That is, they are parallel to the plane of the front wheel. You'll see it if you look really closely at the pictures.

The reasoning behind all this is that fasteners are much better in tension/compression (as they are in the radial setup) than they are in shear (as they are in the conventional setup). The radial setup provides a stiffer brake caliper mounting, resulting in better brake feel.

Hope that covers everything, but I'm sure someone will find something else to add.

Grover is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-16-2002, 10:25 AM   #12
Mooner
Founding Member

Great, bigger bore for the "street" version. But why make the ergos more racy on a "street version" bike. It seems to me that if you are going to have two versions of basically one bike, you would try to make the differences more clear cut. It will be interesting to see the dyno results. Could be that the only ones interested in the RR are the people that actually plan to race it competitively.

-Andy

Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 10:28 AM   #13
ARTBIZTOMMY
Founding Member

i'm looking, i'm thinking, i'm looking, i'm thinking.....and.........

i've decided: the new zrex is really ugly!
ARTBIZTOMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 10:30 AM   #14
ARTBIZTOMMY
Founding Member

Default Re: Die-cast models

well which does it look like? the f4i or the r6?
ARTBIZTOMMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 10:30 AM   #15
patelladragger
Founding Member

Default Where is the 10R(R)

Man I've held off on buying an gixxer 1000 all this time waiting for team green to come out with the 10RR. Where is it? Is this little 600 and the naked bike all that kawasaki's going to do for us street riders that get tired of the gixxer whoopin everybody's but?
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 10:49 AM   #16
dwr461
Founding Member

Dude,

Relax, my life hasn't changed in the least not knowing about the new bikes for an extra three or four days. They got medications that will help you though.

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 10:53 AM   #17
dwr461
Founding Member

Artbiztommy,

I think maybe that ugly is "in" this year. The BMW R1200CL, the new Honda Rune, this Z1000. Who knows if this trend continues, I might be the next Brad Pitt.

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 11:01 AM   #18
hackfu
Founding Member

We have different press release dates (or embargo dates) than the overseas press has. Its kinda sucky considering we're all part of the big "global" media thing. But we have to follow our release dates and they have to follow theirs.
hackfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 11:02 AM   #19
crankin500
Founding Member

Default Re: Upon closer inspection.....

Upon closer inspection of the photos and my 93 CR500 with upside down forks, I have come up with two more questions about radial disc brakes. Are six of these slightly better than a half dozen of the other? Or is there no other way to mount a caliper to an upside down fork? Either way, you won't see "radial" in the description of Honda's or Yamaha's 600 class front brakes, so it must be better.
crankin500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2002, 11:12 AM   #20
crankin500
Founding Member

Default Re: Where is the 10R(R)

Do you really think Kawasaki would try to shoot down their partner's top bike? It's possible, but don't be supprised to see a green gixxer at your Kawi dealer.
crankin500 is offline   Reply With Quote