Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-18-2002, 10:31 AM   #141
BorgBiker
Registered Member

Default Re: forged pistons are 5mm lighter

I think you may have gotten it wrong. It is my understanding that the 600RR engine is all new, and the 636 is a Euro spec bike from last year. That Euro bike was, as I recall, a 600R engine with a bit more displacement, and more street useable torque.

It's been a while, I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.
BorgBiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2002, 01:16 PM   #142
Radarluv55
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Kawasaki Reader Feedback

What are the actual web sites you are refering to? MCN??? I went to motostation.com, but it's in French. Is there an English version? Thanks.

Jck
Radarluv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 02:01 PM   #143
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: forged pistons are 5mm lighter

My post is based on John's article with no other information. It seems to me that Kawasaki didn't come up to the mark set by the other majors; can't wait for tests! What can you say when your data comes from PR experts who don't understand what they're saying.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 02:57 AM   #144
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

I agree.. 410 seems -really- light, but that's why I was/am so excited about this bike. Even at 460lbs -wet-, that's pretty light for a liter-class bike. What's a Gixxer 1K weigh fully wet?... 430lbs?.. around there? I think an FZ1 weighs like 460lbs dry... and every other 'sport-standard' weighs more.

Since this bike has a big ol' handlebar to heft it around with, I'm sure it'll feel lighter than it is anyway. I'm still psyched even if this bike comes in at 470lbs wet... still light for this type of bike. Can't wait!!

If that other poster is right about the price $8400... man, that's CHEAP! Given Kawi's tendency to wheel/deal at sale-time, I'd bet you could get it plenty cheaper. As I recall though, doesn't a ZRX1200 go for around $7900?.. price drop maybe! Whew.. then I'd have a tough choice.. still love the z-rex, and if ~$1000 cheaper than this bike (after deals made), man....that's a toughie.

I really hope Kawi delivers on all this promise.. this bike's a winner (and of course, it's super-easy to do -something- 'bout those funky exhausts... that stuff doesn't affect my opinion of the bike in general... at least it's different I suppose! )

Is the drool hanging off my chin -that- noticeable!?

-James

jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 03:24 AM   #145
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: Ninja value

Definitely. Everything's in a name in marketing.

Quick questions:

1. What is a kleenex?

2. What does a xerox machine do?

A1: simply facial tissue, but who asks for 'facial tissue' when you got a load of snot to blow! .. you wait to get all of that out and it'll be too late!

A2: makes photo-copies, but who says "I have to go make a photo-copy of your driver's license to post with this bad check you wrote." (<-- just me? ) They say ... "lemme xerox this real quick..." -actually-, to me, they say "look dip-sh*t, I gotta xerox this before you get your bike back out of the impound lot...dumb-a**!" ahh.. yeah..

For the record, every one of my non-biking friends identifies my sport-bikes as a 'Ninja-bike', as if it's a generic term. "Hey James, I see you rode that ninja-deal today... you'll get yourself killed, those things are FAST I hear!" Further, if I'm having to describe my sport-bikes to someone for the first time, it's -always- helpful to point out "they're sporty, you know.. like a Ninja" The lights come on, bells go off.. they 'get it' all of the sudden.

I can't imagine the strange stares I'd get saying ..."You know, it's like a GSXR.., or an F4i, ... or a YZF, or.. ahhhhh.. forget it."

Oh yeah, and the use of the term Ninja from Kawi pre-dated the TMNT cartoon, but probably not the comic-books by Eastman and Laird (the b&w ones).

-James
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 06:29 AM   #146
Lobotomy_Boy
Founding Member

You can get a (sort-of) English translation at Moto-Station by clicking on the English flag in the upper left-hand corner.

Another site that breaks a lot of news before the U.S. sites is Motorcycle News (motorcyclenews.com)
Lobotomy_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 09:31 AM   #147
chriss_1
Founding Member

Default When do you guys get to ride 'em?

So when do you guys get ahold of all the new '03 beauties for test rides? Can't wait to hear how they handle etc.
chriss_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 12:06 PM   #148
flatspin
Founding Member

Any idea if the ZX9R will be getting a makeover like the ZX6R? (Lighter, trimmer, new styling, inverted shocks, etc.) Thanks
flatspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 06:50 PM   #149
TheFox
Founding Member

Default Here's to immaturity! Cheers!

Ha! I love this guy!

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 08:55 PM   #150
sarnali
Founding Member

Oh yeah, my Bandit 1200 S is supposed to be 468 lbs and that feels pretty well balanced when your moving, if the Kawi's anywhere near that it's no problem, plus the 122 horses is real good, the more models available in this catagory the better as far as I'm concerned, I think for the real world this type of bike is a lot more useful 90% of the time, I don't think the pipes look too bad, just different, [how PC] if you look at the angle view they look cool, this should be a winner for Kawasaki, all we need now is for Suzuki to import the gsx 1400 n, and we'll be in fat city fer sure
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote