Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-17-2002, 10:42 AM   #111
kman45
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Kawasaki Reader Feedback

I hated the look of the pipes too, at first. But I keep going back to the pictures and see more stuff I like each time. So what if it takes a few styling clues from something else (what doesn't) at least they made a bold statement, unlike Honda which can't seem to pull anything decent out of the old drawing bin.
kman45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2002, 10:44 AM   #112
BorgBiker
Founding Member

I think the ST1300 and FJR are both very close to a Goldwing. The ZZR is more of what I think of as a sport-tourer(plus I love gobs of power). I am 6'2, 210lbs and the ZZR fits me perfect. The ST and FJRfit me generally speaking, but just don't feel right. Maybe I need another 10 years, get into my 40's and I might be a little more warm for their form.

The Concours is a budget version of a sport touring bike, but it's only slightly less sporty that the ZZR. But I don't like that bolt-upright seating position. I need a little lean, either forward or back (preferably forward). The ZZR is all that and TWO bags of chips (with a side of dip).
BorgBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 10:49 AM   #113
dardas
Founding Member

Default Re: Ninja value

Pith the insurance companies seem to equate along the same lines
dardas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 10:57 AM   #114
BorgBiker
Founding Member

Hmmmm... I guess everybody thinks differently. I never did like the R1/R6 styling, and I think they've improved it some, but not enough. GSXR's look best in dark colors; otherwise, kinda homely. The 'Busa has been ugly till I saw one in black at the dealer; now I like that one. I've always like Kawi's styling better than the rest, and am saddened that thier new 600's look more like the R6.

But I see it only getting worse: Many styling designs I've seen lately have the little bitty projector style head lights, very few look good with them. Some (like BMW's new cruiser/tourer) look more like spider's eyes than headlights.

Of all brands, Ducati has shown me that they can build a beautiful bike (916/996) and they can build a hideous bike (999). The Ducati red is the only thing I like about the 999. Worst looking sportbike fairing I have EVER seen, and I've paid attention since the late '70's. If someone gave one to me, I'd sell it and buy ANYTHING else. Except maybe a Madura, or that Rune.
BorgBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 10:57 AM   #115
gforces
Founding Member

Default Re: Radial Brakes and other stuff

Tires is not the only thing that is regulated in F1--aerodynamics is regulated as well. F1 is so complex you wouldn't believe it. James is right--racing improves the breed. The FIA is trying their hardest to slow the cars down because every year they get faster and more dangerous despite regulations imposed by the FIA--this is one of the main reasons for the tire/wheel choice. They even changed from the bald slicks to grooved tires in a vain attempt to slow down the cars. A fat wheel with a low profile tire would speed the cars up, which is what they DON'T want. In 1999, they imposed a maximum track width on the cars, reducing the overall width trying to reduce their speed. Yet, innovation in F1 keeps raising the bar. The most the FIA can do is try to slow it down as much as they can to keep the sport relatively safe for the drivers and spectators (the last thing I want is one of those afore-mentioned low profile tires in the head).
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 10:59 AM   #116
akcarlson
Founding Member

Default Re: Don't forget Squidly

Ha!

I don't mean to come across as anti-Beemer. Far from it. It's just that BMWs don't exactly strike fear into the hearts of the masses.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Hell, my next bike could easily be a used BMW. R90S? Hell yes.
akcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 12:08 PM   #117
wbunch
Founding Member

Default Re: Radial Brakes

Thanks itchface, best laugh I've had all day.
wbunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 12:17 PM   #118
Swimwear_Pete
Founding Member

I just have to say that I really love the styling of the ZR1000! Everytime I look at it i can't help but to crack a huge smile.

I can only hope that this bike will have an exhaust note similar to my 1985 Kawasaki Eliminator 900. Wow that would just make my year!

I can't wait to take my deposit checque to my Kaw dealer!
Swimwear_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 12:45 PM   #119
jonlich
Founding Member

Look closely at how the brake calipers are attached to the fork on the new ZX6R. They are not attached up by the fork sliders and the bolts attaching the calipers are not running across the front of the bike rather they are mounted with bolts that are aligned, more or less, radially with the hub of the wheel. On most current bike disc brakes, the bolts that hold the calipers on run in the same direction as those that allow the caliper to slide with the disk. Radial calipers mount at 90degrees to the motion of the calipers. Although I am not 100% sure about the advantages this brings, one could be that it allows a much longer bolt - hole interface on the bolts mounting the caliper to the carrier. I'm sure there is less flex in the whole system due to the fact that the brake carriers are big beefy castings that are integral with the lower slider holder/axle holder. Anyone who can enlighten us more on what the advantages of radially mounted calipers are, please speak up. But that is what they mean by "Radial Brakes."
jonlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 12:55 PM   #120
DesertwolfZR7
Founding Member

how about 2003 Kawasaki "Be-Jesus" 10R?

">)

Rubber Down!!!
DesertwolfZR7 is offline   Reply With Quote