Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-13-2002, 09:08 PM   #81
pattonme
Founding Member

Default Honda == "we rest on laurels"

Except purhaps on the 600cc race bike category. but barely.

The 919 was a half-assed job. Where's the bloody suspension? Chicken-hawk: 98mile range? oh ha ha!

It doesn't have to be "new" to make an impression. Where is the Hornet 600? The euro-spec 750 Nighthawk? The Dueville? The Africa Twin? The CB1300? The CB400 Super Four with VTEC?

These are bikes that make sense and can actually compete with Suzuki, Yamaha, and Kawasaki head to head where Honda's entry is non-competitive provided it even exists.

And what's with the ****ty color schemes year after year after year? Heck, Canada gets some decent colors!!

I wish Honda USA would quit treating the richest country in the entire world as some kind of 3rd world also-ran that has but 2 tastes: cruisers and full-on sport bikes. There are how many people in this country? Our geography covers how many time zones and different terrain types?

ps. Hay Yamaha: be a pal and bring the Fazer 600 over here. At least Suzuki doesn't leave half their product line on the wrong side of the oceans. I give them major props.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-13-2002, 09:15 PM   #82
KPaulCook
Banned

Default VTX is a failure that is why we have a new Valk (Honda got it right the first time)

I think the VTX proved the point that bigger is not always better. Sales have been disappointing. The Six the Valk uses is sweet. Technically it is a much superior piece of hardware. V-Twins should be left back in the 50s. Honda is saying by producing the new Valk that it was right the first time.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 09:26 PM   #83
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Meanwhile Honda has a record year. Defending Honda

I take exception to your assertion that Honda rests on its laurels. Hmm which company is dominating MotoGP? And just gave us the MotoGp inspired RR. Hmm which company is beating Ducati in its own back yard in WSB? Which company won the AMA superbike? Which company gives us inovation year after year? ST1300 last year. VTEC VFR last year. 954 last year. VTX last year. New Valk coming. T RR this year. Hey a new liter bike is coming probably mid year. Get Real and Give Honda a break. Harley is example of a company resting on its laurels i.e a new motorcyle every 20 years.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 09:58 PM   #84
PurpleYam
Founding Member

Default Re: '03 Hondas Reader Feedback

The Valkyrie Rune will certainly turn a few heads (which is what cruiserdom is all about). No doubt, there'll be a few testosterone challenged guys drag racing it on the one sunday of the month that they go riding. But it's too long and heavy for serious mountain riding. Neither will you see anybody flicking this thing from lane to lane in city traffic. Eyecatcher - yes. Intensive riding - no.
PurpleYam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 10:56 PM   #85
badsac
Founding Member

Default Looks like no other. I like it to. (NT)

badsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 12:49 AM   #86
painter_1
Founding Member

Default Re: In defense of Honda

The reason tommy Hayden's zx6r can beat a gixxer 750,{because it is not stock motor}. I wander why that bike did not get torn down and checked. My friend raced in the formula usa at Portland last week, He has a 2002 gixxer 750. it is stock but for the exhaust and power comander, it had over half a season of racing on it, and it dyno'd at 136hp with nutech race gas. ZLOCK racing dyno'd their ZX6R at 110hp. There is no way in hell can tommy hayden's supposedly supersport ZX6R beat a bike down the straight's that should have 15hp more, like I saw him do at Daytona. There was some very skeptical superstock racer's talking about what was done to his engine.
painter_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 01:13 AM   #87
Probuzz
Founding Member

well,i just gotta say that is a damn fine looking 600,and being an older fart,i am glad that mr duhamel will be dicing on one next year,i was kinda hoping that they were gonna poof up the 954 a bit,but i can ride my 93 900 rr another year i guess,should hit the 50 k mark by then ( no problems at all except for a brief interlude with a k- car's left front fender in '93) till the next power up variant comes out,i predict in 2004 it will blossom to near full liter bike size

i also like the new valkyrie's looks,i think,got that old greeve's front end thing going on,make sure you guys do a dragstrip/boulevard comparison with all it's brethren next spring,you guys should find some robocop style leathers to complete the effect.also,i am not quite sure what it is,but the ruckus thing looks like my first minibike,might have to buy one just for the hell of it,except for the comet clutch eating my left big toe,nevere had more fun on two wheels-Probuzz
Probuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 01:56 AM   #88
Probuzz
Founding Member

Default Re: You must buy a new bike every year then...

buy what you like,like what you buy,and don't worry about what someone else thinks,it's your butt in the seat,as long as your smiling,that's all that matters,spec numbers are just there for reference,getting the latest/greatest won't make you a better rider,just like $150 sneakers won't make you michael jordan,they will help you a lot,but most good riders can kick ass on most bikes,chase a good rider on a rd 400 thru some 30 mph corners ( old and might be 55 horsepower on the pipe ),then see what ya think
Probuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 02:34 AM   #89
95XV1100
Founding Member

Default News-Just Out In The Big And Tall Section

I'm a short guy but I notice most stores have a "Big And Tall Section" and now Honda stores have one too. Just how long a wheel base will we finish this decade with? The cruiser arena has taken the form over function styling too far. Super tall Basketball players are suppose to go to Jesse James for a Super large bike. I now ride a sport touring bike cause what I like about mcycles is how they function as opposed to road cages and if I want to go a few hundred miles I don't want to fill like I took a beating to get there. I like cruisers too but form has taken too big of a priority for me to ride them anymore (starting to turn like a bus) And personally the new Honda Valk is ugly but maybe it will look better in person. Of course to each his own.
95XV1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 02:48 AM   #90
doc929
Founding Member

When ever anybody goes out on a limb styling-wise there are some who are going to like it, so who don't. I love it. You mean the Yamaha stylists who designed the GTS1000 and painted it burnt pink?
doc929 is offline   Reply With Quote