Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-17-2002, 12:06 PM   #221
BorgBiker
Registered Member

Default Re: '03 Hondas Reader Feedback

I just saw a 'Busa today like you described yours. Yes, awesome looking. I thought they were ugly, but now the all black one's sweet. I spent a good 10 minutes trying not to drool on it.

But I would like to disagree that the new VFR is ugly. I like it better than any since the 1986 model (which was pretty radical at the time). The exhaust shape disturbs me more than the location, and I like the sound a gear driven V4 makes; but this bike isn't meant to compete with a Busa, a GSXR, or anything else. I don't see Honda following anyone, everyone still is trying to out-do the VFR.

Some might think that Honda copied Ducati with the underseat exhaust, but please note that the NR750 had underseat exhaust back in 1990. Somebody might have done it previous to that, but I am unaware of it.

I have a 1983 V65, and I'd really like Honda to make the VFR a 1000cc V4. That would MAKE me buy one, regardless of all the comparisions. The sound of a big V4 with a good exhaust is heaven.
BorgBiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-17-2002, 03:02 PM   #222
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: the tariff..

Honda and Yamaha were dumping bikes, though it wasn't so much to hurt Harley as it was to gain market share over each other, in every catagory, customs included, which is what cruisers used to be called, Harley almost went under because AMF didn't put any money into improving or upgrading the line, at that time you got an sportster XLH, or a superglide or a bagger, if you wanted anything else you made it yourself out of the jammer catalog or custom chrome, that was it, it wasn't till Vaughn Beals and Willi G and a few others bought out AMF that Harleys were a viable brand again. it actually is a rags to riches story, though Harley tends to run it into the ground.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2002, 05:33 PM   #223
MPN76VFR
Founding Member

You hit it RIGHT on the head..1000cc...maybe the same weight as the 98-2001...same basic style with some fresh lines added to it (maybe just give the new honda "edgy" look). This is what I thought for sure was gonna happen, I had my deposit ready to reserve one upon the unveiling. But, it wasnt to be.

Theyre going in the wrong direction in terms of progress. Heavier, same power, same handling characterisistics, more ex$pen$ive. Of course looks are subjective, but Id say it definitely looks chunkier and taller, more toward the proportions of the new Yamaha FJ1300, which is considered probably the best sport-tourer out there now, so why go that route? Sitting on it compared to my 98, it feels like a much bigger bike. At only 800cc, this is NOT good. I loved my 98 (a cream puff 3200 mile used one bought last year). I think youre right about Honda not following anyone else, but at the same time, they dont know WHERE their going, either. I just feel theyve fallen onto the touring side of the sport-touring thing with the viffer. Im hoping they dont do the same with the new XX and maybe Ill get back with honda!! (but ill tell ya, after riding this black beast, its gonna take a helluva XX to do it!)

PS.- the cam gear sound is awesome, but the new VFRs dont have it because there is no cam gear on the new VTEC 800 valve train. Sorry man, im bummed too!
Old 09-18-2002, 11:04 AM   #224
itchface
Founding Member

Default Re: The Ruckus - a CHICK MAGNET

You think if we all go and buy a Ruckus,

Beautiful chicks would want to f*ckus?

Sign me up!
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 02:11 PM   #225
desertbilly
Founding Member

Default It could have been 28 new models

if they'd have included previews of the '05, '06 & '07 models.

I just took another look at their new model introductions and noticed that 6 of the 8 new models are '04's. That means they're really announcing only 2 new models for the upcoming year, and one of those is the Ruckus.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Ruckus looks like plenty of fun, but I expect the only time we'll ever see one is in teen movies, as the nerdy form of transportation for the dweeby sidekick -- sort of a 2-wheeled Gremlin. It will be a sight gag to see the dweeby friend sputter up on his Ruckus, with an oversized backpack, unable to keep the front wheel from wobbling.

Oh, well. I guess the new Valky Interstate will probably be an '05 or '06 model -- so I'll get to see it next year.
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 05:20 PM   #226
swami
Founding Member

Listen dude...Who else has anything new other than a 600 sportbike? Does anyone else offer anything as radical as the Rune? The pricing floating around is BS at this point. I think Honda will price this closer to the 17-18 range and what few are available will sell immediately. You gotta admit that thing is rad...Pull up to your local bike nite on one of those and people will attack you...Kinda like a Prowler or Viper when they came out. I don't see anything other than those 2 cars that they could be copying off of.
swami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2002, 04:23 PM   #227
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Causing a Ruckus

Yeah, but not for $1899. I'd much rather have a Yamaha Zuma.
Old 09-19-2002, 04:30 PM   #228
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: the tariff..

FYI to all who use the term "dumping". It doesn't mean selling your bikes (or whatever you make) cheaper than your competition. It does mean selling your bikes for a loss in order to drive your competition out of business. The Japanese don't sell bikes at a loss. If they did, they wouldn't be around to make any today.
Old 09-19-2002, 04:32 PM   #229
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

To be fair, you have to wait until next year to see what everyone else offers. The Rune is a 2004 model, after all.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:14 PM   #230
jmeyn
Founding Member

Don't forget cross-sectional area. The Goldwing fairing is huge compared to the Rune, because it has to protect an erect rider; it's wide, too. My guess is the difference in area and the difference in drag coefficient are a wash in these two bikes.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote