Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-14-2002, 05:21 PM   #131
dean_1
Founding Member

Default Re: '03 Hondas Reader Feedback

Ass-Bacon BMW? When referencing the ugliness of a BMW please be model specific. Vague references besmirch the unique ugliness of each model.
dean_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2002, 05:49 PM   #132
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default Are you on crack?

Suzuki bikes are good at both street and track? Did you really say that? What if some-one believes you? Wouldn't you feel guilty?

I have NEVER seen a revue of a GSXR or Katana where they were ranked first or even second as streetuse bikes-track, yes; canyon strafing, sure they're pretty good. But if you had to own one bike to commute on, do a 1,000 mile day, do a track day, and tour on, its gonna be a Honda or a Yamaha...and if you're over six feet tall it's probably not the Yamaha. Kawasaki's ZX-9R gets waxed in every liter-class revue that's been done for the last three years but if you're not racing it's pretty close to a perfect ride: healthy motor, roomy, and sufficiently nimble. This is the opposite end of the spectrum from the GSXR, insane motor, footpegs and clip-ons inspired by the Marquis de Sade, and rock-steady in the corners at 130 mph. If you race, this IS the perfect ride. Everything else falls in between.
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 05:49 PM   #133
redexces
Founding Member

Default Re: In defense of Honda

Go to any roadhouse on a Sunday and you'll hear story after testosterone laden story about how "I took this corner at 70mph and blew past that f'in cage..." Such are the types who only buy what mag X says has the most hp, top speed, etc., etc. Motorcycling to such types is nothing more than a boost to their fragile egos; the moment their machine comes in second place in some comparo, their insecurity motivates them to get the latest, greatest, fastest, mostest. I consider myself to be a Motorcyclist, one who enjoys the ride for what it is, often in complete solitude away from the racer-wannabe squids. This might sound like self-righteousness to some. So be it; it takes a certain level of maturity to understand what I'm talking about. Yes, I like sport riding and appreciate the wonders of modern engineering and technology, but I also have respect for the limits of real world riding, for other motorists, and for my own physical well-being.
redexces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 06:09 PM   #134
redexces
Founding Member

This is a repost of my earllier post in this thread:

Go to any roadhouse on a Sunday and you'll hear story after testosterone laden story about how "I took this corner at 70mph and blew past that f'in cage..." Such are the types who only buy what mag X says has the most hp, top speed, etc., etc. Motorcycling to such types is nothing more than a boost to their fragile egos; the moment their machine comes in second place in some comparo, their insecurity motivates them to get the latest, greatest, fastest, mostest. I consider myself to be a Motorcyclist, one who enjoys the ride for what it is, often in complete solitude away from the racer-wannabe squids. This might sound like self-righteousness to some. So be it; it takes a certain level of maturity to understand what I'm talking about. Yes, I like sport riding and appreciate the wonders of modern engineering and technology, but I also have respect for the limits of real world riding, for other motorists, and for my own physical well-being.
redexces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 06:37 PM   #135
robb_millett
Registered Member

LOL! really. I remember when all tha rags were raging about Parker's RADD front ends, "Next big thing! They'rrere gggrrrrEEAT!:"

SO yamaha builds it, and seels it, and every body stood around looking nervous saying, "yuuuh, you go first..."

I've seen exactly ONE on the street during the intervening years...now THERE'S a copllectible!
robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 06:50 PM   #136
desertbilly
Founding Member

Default Honda may be on to something

That Rune threw me at first, but after a couple of days, it's starting to grow on me. I'm not a cruiser guy, and I'm sure not a $25,000+/better-to-look-good-than-to-feel-good/billet-dipstick/butt-jewelry-cruiser guy, but I think Swami may be right about a waiting list for that Rune.

There is finally a small preview link on the Honda website with video links, and the Rune looks like it may be something special. Dare I say, out VROD the VRod?

What will be more interesting to most guys with families and mortgages will be what they'll do with the next generation Valkyrie, based upon the drivetrain and chassis from the Rune. I'm not going to buy a Rune, but I could sure go for a next-generation Valky Touring or Interstate, if it's a faithful derivation of the Rune. Too bad it looks like 2004, or maybe 2005 until we see them.

But if I had more garage space right now, I'd want that grown-up sized mini-bike, the Rupp-- I mean Ruckus.
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 06:51 PM   #137
pattonme
Founding Member

Default Re: Meanwhile Honda has a record year. Defending Honda

Oh, HRC does a swell job I'll give them that. But racing R&D is not what matters to street bikes and efforts to improve on them.

The 600RR is entirely pointless for use on city streets. The f4i is worse (ie. less useful even as 600cc sport bikes go) than the euro version which has redeeming qualities. the RR is only useful for hardcore amateur and semi-pro privateer road racers. Raise your hands for a head count here that fit that bill.

The 'Rune' is a paint/chrome job. Little redeeming value. No 'real' innovation except in styling (which is indeed a new thing for Honda).

The ST1300? Hmm, 10 years after the ST1100 is it out? F*(@ all happen in HOnda land for 10 years?

954 - gratuitous capacity increase. Can't hold a candle to the GSXR1K apparently not that I give a rat's hiney. Then again purhaps the press is obsessive over sheer raw engine output over the collective experience. I'm not saying it isn't a great bike but why does it keep losing?

VTEC VFR? How many extra pounds was that again? Less power, questionable styling. Definate toss-up as to why they even bothered. HOnda: technology for technology's sake.

For those of us who don't wear tupper-ware bikes and who don't aspire to be the next suicidal squid, Honda has done precious little year in and year out.

Honda USA's attitude seems to be "we'll try to compete but only 1/2 heartedly. And if we fail to measure up (as 3 recent bikes have done) then we'll just mention again that it's a HOnda - performance first. Oh ha, ha! Suzuki ought to be awarded that claim. In some respects I'd wager that we're seeing more innovation and advancement in design and engineering from Kawasaki of all people! Yamaha and Suzuki (far smaller outfits both) come across as damn well serious about playing in many market spaces. Honda is just coasting. Has been for a while.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 06:52 PM   #138
valkmaster
Founding Member

Default Waiting list for the Rune ?

For a list price of between $25k to $30k for the Rune (official info), I don't think your waiting list is going to be that long. The Rune is almost everything that Valkyrie owners did NOT ask for. Another "fine" achievement by Honda. Maybe Harley is into something after all, they give customers what they're asking for. Honda, you get the point ?
valkmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 06:53 PM   #139
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default Blackbird color for 2003

Metallic Black for 2003 (in the states, at least).
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 06:55 PM   #140
pattonme
Founding Member

Default Re: Honda Needs to rethink their pricing

For most of us, buying a bike is pure excess-about pleasure, more so than practicality.

I guess that explains why we can't get practical and useful (imo the 'good') bikes over here. Thanks a lot all you posuers. Also explains why scant few of the good cars come over here either. It's bloody truck and SUV land...
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote