Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-14-2002, 03:10 PM   #121
stormcloud
Founding Member

Default Re: GET REAL!

false choice??? what do you mean??.

Dont worry I read the tests.

You say 'outperforms' - again I ask what your criteria is?? Is it just a couple of things e.g. from my list, if so your argument defeats itself as different people would rate the importance of those different characteristics in different orders. Then if you want a conclusion - you will get different conclusions arrived at by different riders??

I you want, have a look at another of my recent posts where I expand on this.

Always interested in your thoughts.

Cheers, Stormcloud.

stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2002, 03:22 PM   #122
silverr6
Founding Member

Default Re: Meanwhile Honda has a record sales and wins MotoGp, AMA superbike, maybe WSB

I don't know but i would be more inclined to credit those achievments to the riders that they hire. Honda has tremendously deep pockets, it's kinda like the yankees drafting new pitchers. I wouldn't be so eager to credit all those wins to just the equipment otherwise all the races in the ama superbike should have seen Duhamel and Hayden on the top two steps and Roberts with them for the ones in which he was able to compete.
silverr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 03:40 PM   #123
Casey_Daniel
Founding Member

Default Re: '03 Hondas Reader Feedback

You can't just look at the weight though. If weight is that important to you start jogging. It's a lot easier to lose some pounds then it is to shave it off the bike. Look what honda did with the weight too, they moved it forward and down. Just look at a profile pic, the honda's front tire is practically under the fairing. I'm willing to bet the honda is going to smoke everything on the track in the 600 class. On the street may be a different story. You have to look at more than just a couple of numbers though. Really, we'll have to wait for the ride comparison to know how they're going to stack up.
Casey_Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 04:08 PM   #124
garybobb
Founding Member

Not my cup of tea but I hope a lot of the current valk owners like it well enough to start parting with their old valks as I would love to have one, as I think it was about perfect the way it was.
garybobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 04:08 PM   #125
Flickmeister
Registered Member

Default Re: Meanwhile Honda has a record sales and wins MotoGp, AMA superbike, maybe WSB

There is a huge difference between winning races and good street sport motorcycles. Suzuki seems to be pretty good at both, with Yamaha a close second. Honda seems to have lost their "street perspective." The CBR600RR is still too heavy, has that silly exhaust, and still doesn't appear to have the necessary equipment to compete with the R6 or GSXR600. The same thing was done with the Interceptor in 2002--a big price hike, more weight, LESS mid range and top end. What the hell are they thinking?? The 954 may be a "sweet" open classer, but still can't duke it out on an equal level with the Yammie or Gixxer. In that ballpark, all that counts is who the winner is. And it ain't Honda. Having owned a ST1100 and loved it to death, I'd say the ST1300 was their best move in the past two years, but Yamaha certainly issued a challenge with their FJR at such a reasonable price. I think Honda needs to get back to basics, such as pricing, and eliminating tech for the sake of tech, etc. Puulleesse..... get rid of the LBS. It doesn't work that bad, but has anyone ever tried to replace the brake fluid?? I have, and the normal brakes, with the steel braided lines that comes as standard equipment on my Speed Triple, will embarass the best braking efforts of my VFR800. Same with under seat exhaust. Hell, Two Bros got so confused, they came out with a fake cannister and used it for a storage area on the 2002 Interceptor. I think technology that really improves the breed is great. I also think technology done for it's own sake does nothing but raise the price and make the bike more complicated than need be, especially if you do your own maintainence. Cheers, Jack
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 04:16 PM   #126
ValknMag
Founding Member

Sorry, I'm keeping my 2000 Valkyrie. Nothing else looks or acts like the Fat Lady...I'm sure this will be more powerful, but the styling...nope.
ValknMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 04:35 PM   #127
jsven007
Founding Member

To Sum It All Up:

"Hooonnnndaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (in a long whine like tone), for craps sake... who is going to purchase a 2003 CBR1100XX? A 2003 Superhawk? A 2003 Magna? A 2003 919? Sheesh! What are you guys thinking over there? Goodness. I am at a loss for words at this pittiful showing of new bikes. What is the poor sales guy going to do in order to move a bike next year? Have you thought of that? You can't cover that 919 with enough Tobasco to make it taste better. It just won't work.

Oh - and nice job selling the new VFR based on the availibility of integrated saddlebags... and not delivering them! Freaking Ding-Dongs.

Oh, one more thing. I just noticed that you (Honda) have a nice picture of what looks to be the front end of the new CBR1300XX. That bike better freaking come out next year (with bags) or you are cooked. Done. Spent. Poke you with a fork and throw you away in the trash.

Thanks for showing up to the party with nothing but a freaking 600. "

Above quote by 'roxysdad'

I rest my case!!!

jsven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 05:01 PM   #128
ValknMag
Founding Member

Default Who will buy an '03 XX? Me. Maybe.

I have the lust of acquisition upon me for a Blackbird. I'm looking for sport touring. I know other bikes will beat it in the 1/4 mile and top end, but that bothers me not at all. In the comparos I've read, the XX is the one that gets the nod for crossing continents. What I'd like to know is, what color is the '03 XX? I like the silver, but I want to delay the purchase until next spring. If '03 has some funky color scheme, I'll move now. If it looks as good or better than '02...I'll fly to Washington state, buy one, ride it back to Ohio, and cross 'dream vacation' off my things-to-do list.
ValknMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 05:48 PM   #129
swami
Founding Member

I've been a salesman at a big 4 dealer for 16.5 years + 2 more at a Honda only dealership. I amazed at people's response to the new stuff. Do you think that a manufacturer has to scrap every model every year? Come on. Wake up. Did Yamaha scrap the R1 in it's 2nd year, or the R6, and bring out new bikes. No they didn't and there's a reason for that. Do you tear your house down because the neighbor built a nicer one? Why not? Because your house is just fine, does everything you want it to, it's paid for. You guy's expect Honda to do that every year. I'm as excited about the CBR600RR as I've been about any bike since the RC211V. I've been following that bike since the 1st pic of the engine. Anyone remember the early bikes with a conventional exhaust on each side? Or the gen 2 with 1 underseat and just a header pipe peaking out the right lower{no silencer}. I do. I'm impressed with the strides they've made in a little over a year. There will be a new 954 replacement as soon as the AMA can make up there mind as to what the rules will be. As far as a new CBR11XX goes, those big bores don't sell for *****. A guy buy's one and he's still riding it 10 years later. The only yearly sales numbers on those is for the idiot that wrecks 2-3 of em a year. Now the Rune...That bike is the *****. I guarantee we'll have a waiting list for those. I'm a sportbike guy, but that thing is SWEET. For all of you Doubting Honda's out there I predict we'll see a NAS soon as well as a 1000cc superbike next year. Don't believe me? Just wait and see...Performance First.
swami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 06:15 PM   #130
stormcloud
Founding Member

To answer the question, if I was buying in 2003, from what I've seen of current and potentially available bikes, I'd still buy a VTR1000F. As it is, nothing yet tempts me to upgrade - I love the bike I ride now.

There's nothing else that does it for me in as many ways as the Honda Superhawk. Period.

Tell me, what would be a better bike for me than the '01 Superhawk I currently ride?? And why??

I'd be interested in your opinion.

Feel free to buy something else, in fact, WHAT DID YOU BUY when you sold your old "outclassed" CBR1000 ??????

Do you have a particular beef against Honda over other manufacturers? Despite owning one ? Did you have a bad experience or something?

Cheers, Stormcloud

stormcloud is offline   Reply With Quote