Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   '03 Hondas Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1383-03-hondas-reader-feedback.html)

Joe_Momma 09-14-2002 11:15 AM

Re: '03 Hondas Reader Feedback

I heard it was actually a samich within each other.

seruzawa 09-14-2002 11:25 AM

I read about all these new superbikes and I begin to feel deprived. Then I go and get on my old GSX1100G and literally shred some idiot on his fancy new Daytona 955i, just like I did an hour ago.

My old boat anchor never has trouble stuffing most bikes at the stoplight grand prix. It's "detuned" motor with the massive midrange torque allows it to simply scream out of the hole like nobody's business.

Then I don't feel so deprived.

In a few years I'll pick up another used bike for a song and continue to have a ball. So keep buying the new bikes, guys. It gives me a better selection down the road.

BykerGeek 09-14-2002 11:33 AM

I was all ready to buy my dealer's first 919 when I saw the UK release of it in that awesome shade of Blue. When it came to the US in Flat Black only.... : ( Game Off! When I finally saw one, the fit and finish looked a lot cheaper than the Nekkid competition.

silverr6 09-14-2002 12:33 PM

I totally agree, It reminds me of the lead sled. I also am pretty sure it looks pretty close to one of the concept designs that Arlen Ness draws up once in a while, i knew i had seen this bike before.

v4bryan 09-14-2002 01:04 PM

Spanking Interceptors

Lemme get this straight-you're proud of the fact you ride a 'busa and can wax a 500cc smaller Interceptor? That's tragic...do you take lollipops from 6-year olds, too? In the twisties I'd expect the two bikes to handle comparably-when the road straightened out, I'd expect the 'Busa to walk away. If it didn't the rider would have to be incompetent.

And as far as ugly goes, the Hayabusa has to be the ugliest turd ever squeezed out of motorcycling's rectum, no? Well, maybe not- there is that BMW touring/cruiser monstrosity.

sarnali 09-14-2002 01:07 PM

Re: You must buy a new bike every year then...

Bandits rock alright, stick a holeshot street can on it and pull out the snorkle and you'll REALLY see what it can do. The 919 would have to have some suspension adjustment to be in the same ballpark, I think Honda is missing the boat on a market segment thats got some really cool bikes, as a middle aged guy who grew up on sportbikes, I love the performance of R1's, GSXR's and 954rr's I just don't need to be all scrounched up to go fast, I think the whole nekkid sportbike thing is just the right combo. of performance and comfort. With competition like the Bandit, FZ1, ZRX, and speed triple the 919's like bringing a knife to a gunfight. Wake up Honda

sarnali 09-14-2002 01:29 PM

Re: Meanwhile Honda has a record sales and wins MotoGp, AMA superbike, maybe WSB

Honda is the only Japanese bike I've owned that cooked its rectifier/regulator, this was on an '85 goldwing, also an '84 1100 sabre, also a '97 VFR, my experiance is not unique, as any goldwing, sabre/magna or VFR owner or website can attest to, obviously not every one of each model will have problems, but enough of a percentage to keep me off them anymore, in fact the reg/rec. problem on my VFR is why I fixed it, and traded it for my '01 Bandit 1200, a bike which so far has been a real kick in the ass, @ $7500 out the door it's one of the best out of the 20 or so bikes I've owned, Honda's are good bikes, no doubt but they have some real stiff competition

ridinsince59 09-14-2002 02:46 PM

Wet, I'd guess closer to 850!!!! ...pounds,that is!

stormcloud 09-14-2002 02:50 PM

Re: In defense of Honda

Sure, the reviews are useful for getting information about models, I doubt many people dont refer to some media before buying. BUT, the conclusion of a 'winner' is the least important thing in any test.

How often do you read that one tester liked bike A best, another liked bike B best etc etc but for the sake of a conclusion a comprimise is reached. Even if all testers concur, it only represents their tastes - i.e. 3-5 riders.

How many are women?

How many are short/tall/overweight/wealthy/poor/tinkerers/or use a bike only for one thing e.g. commuting, sport riding, racing.

I'm not arguing that the XX is best, and I dont really care. I dont want one.

You make the statement that a XX is 'hardly' best in class - but, again, I ask what criteria you use. Is it objective or subjective. Objective facts do not dictate subjective value.

What I mean is this: A Hayabusa has a higher top speed than a ZX-12 and XX in an objective test. This doesnt mean it's a 'winner' in anything else than top speed. If that is most important to a prospective buyer then maybe the Hayabusa is the bike for them. If it's not, then other factors come in to play. e.g. the ZX-12's steeper torque curve may give a stronger experiential sensation of acceleration and so be more thrilling to some buyers. Maybe the XX is smoother and softer and so nicer to ride over distance. They are all VERY VERY fast, but there different characteristics can make all the difference to buying decisions.

Another example: My VTR is about as fast in acceleration to a friends YZF1000F in roll on's and through the gears until the Yamaha is in its 7500rpm plus range.

To ride each of them doing what would MEASURE as the same acceleration gives a totally different experience in feel.

I just want to make the point that bike tests are useful, but their conclusion, or winner, is not the be all and end all as to the relative value of a bike or group of bikes.

What do others think??

Cheers, Stormcloud

stormcloud 09-14-2002 03:03 PM

Re: they did tweak

Honda increased the fuel tank size from 16 to 19 litres in 2001.

Also tweaks to the carbs and ignition.

I've got Yoshimura RS-3 cans on, didnt need any rejetting, and mileage depends on throttle use.

Touring at 110kmh (65mph) with the odd blast I can go 275km (175miles) comfortable before filling up, adding 14-16 litres of fuel to fill up.