Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   '03 Hondas Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1383-03-hondas-reader-feedback.html)

v4bryan 09-14-2002 05:00 AM

Re: GET REAL!

I've read them. As far as the GT class goes, I'd still pick the Blackbird. The Hayabusa? Screaming fast bike that can't seem to stay out of the shop. Ever read the some of the messages on the bulletin boards? When I see phrases like "the SECOND time it caught fire..." I start to think that maybe the slight increase in acceleration isn't worth it. The ZX-12R I looked at in '01 had awful fit and finish, and there was a break-in procedure that rivaled Boolean algebra for complexity. And 12R insurance was just under $200 more than the 'Bird. I hear the 12R is a much better package now (in 2002).

And I still say that the difference in performance of these three bikes has less of an impact than the skill level of the rider, whether on the track (which they're not designed for), or in the real world.

wfowade 09-14-2002 05:28 AM

Honda is pretty close to the mark IMHO

Is the CBR 1100 XX better than the others?Well it depends on who you ask. Rider magazine picked the CBR over the "competition" recently. The Honda is by far the smoothest runner in the class. It goes way fast and will lay darkies coming out of 100 mph turns. Unless you routinely go to Bonneville, how much performance can you really and truely use? If you want a hyper sport/tour bike that is sorted I don't think you can make a better choice than the XX. If you want to go drag racing then the Hayabusa might go faster. The ZX 12 R has some aspects that make it a great bike. What about the local dealer? I think that figures into the ownership equation more than the spec sheet does as all the bikes are simply so good these days. I just think the spec sheet shoot out is not that great an indicator of what a bike will be like to live with long term. Personally, I would rather see the XX lose about 100 pounds than put on another 100 cc's and 15 HP.

In the final analysis, I don't think it is fair to paint the Honda line up as bland or mediocre. They are great bikes, this upcoming year included (as are most of the other mfr's products) and Honda truely stands behind their products and customers. Check with your local multi line dealer and see which manufacturer gives him the most support when it comes to warranty claims and such. And that is something that won't show up in any comparison article or spec sheet.

Ain't it great to be a biker these days!

MRVW 09-14-2002 06:16 AM

Re: '03 Hondas Reader Feedback

Not really a big deal, but with the underseat exhaust I can fit 3 or 4 bikes plus my car into my one-car garage. Same with a one-car stall, a narrow companionway, etc. Neat.

robb_millett 09-14-2002 06:37 AM

Re: '03 Hondas Reader Feedback

I'd have to let it grow on me I think, as it's certainly fashion-forward...bet it weighs 800lbs!

Xylene 09-14-2002 07:09 AM

Re: '03 Honda + updates

>I had a '98 VTR1000. I sold it because it could only go around 85 miles before the low fuel warning

I have the same problem with my '88 Hawk... about 95 miles to reserve. My next bike will have to have minimum 150 miles between fillups. Too bad Honda didn't tweak the Superhawk to address this well known issue.

KPaulCook 09-14-2002 07:29 AM

Meanwhile Honda has a record sales and wins MotoGp, AMA superbike, maybe WSB

This year RR, Valk etc

Last year VTX, VFR, 954, F4i, ST1300, Goldwing. 919

Oh yeah Honda is making mediocre bikes. Lets see AMA superbike, MotoGP, WSB o yeah they are standing still alright.

Honda makes more different kinds of motorcycles than anyone else. Just because Yamaha doesn't and comes out with a new bike you guys think Honda is behind. GET REAL. Honda is kicking everyone else.

ZR-7 09-14-2002 07:35 AM

Re: You must buy a new bike every year then...

Right on, Borg!

My new '02 Bandit 1200S get the job done for me on the street. Glad I didn't wait for Honda's new CBRXX at $10+K. The B12S was $6,900 OTD.

Just snap the throttle open at 70 MPH and 115 MPH comes up really fast.... 110 BHP and 78 ft/lbs @4,000 RPM...is much better than it sounds in some comparo by jaded jurnos.

Philip

KPaulCook 09-14-2002 07:36 AM

Meanwhile Honda has a record sales and wins MotoGp, AMA superbike, maybe WSB

This year RR, Valk etc

Last year VTX, VFR, 954, F4i, ST1300, Goldwing. 919

Oh yeah Honda is making mediocre bikes. Lets see Honda wins AMA superbike, MotoGP, WSB o yeah they are standing still alright.

Honda makes more different kinds of motorcycles than anyone else. Just because Yamaha doesn't and comes out with a new bike you guys think Honda is behind. GET REAL. Honda is kicking everyone else. Kawa comes out with the ZX-6R this year but last year they only had one new bike. Have some perspective folks.

nweaver 09-14-2002 07:36 AM

Anyway, most reviews I've seen

Most european reviews always say get the normal CBR, not the "Sport" which is what we get (Split seat, no centerstand, different gearing, higher price).

CONMAN 09-14-2002 07:46 AM

Re: Honda Needs to rethink their pricing

I'm right there with you on your article. Regardless that I'm a Yam. fan, I don't think any company can price their product $600.00 more than their rivals and expect to sell alot.

Especially when their product has close to the same specs.,or lower than the competition. I think the 600 battle this year will be between Yam. and

Kaw.. Especially in the sales race.