Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-11-2002, 02:48 PM   #81
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Yamaha R6 Reader Feedback

You mean he believes in countersteering?
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2002, 02:53 PM   #82
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: Man, 22 Sets Record for Crashing New Sportbike

Both incidents happened under warranty. Sue.
Old 09-11-2002, 02:57 PM   #83
jmeyn
Founding Member

Actually, they're guessing/exaggerating/predicting.
Old 09-11-2002, 04:47 PM   #84
ironmike
Founding Member

As a general rule of thumb... HP loss through the drive train (crankshaft to rear wheel) is usually about 15%.. more/less - make that 20-25% if the marketing people are "estimating" HP anywhere...

Ram air does indeed work, but speed must be well up into triple digits (mph not kph... think 155+); and, it can offer typical boosts of 5-10%... more/less..YMMV...
ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 06:44 PM   #85
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Read your warranty agreement...

It says very clearly in paragraph 26, sec. (c): "This agreement will not cover loss occuring as the result of some kind of unexplained phenomenoa, including alien abduction, out-of-body experiences, talking animals, speaking in tongues, ectoplasm emissions, or intelligent Republicans."

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 07:23 PM   #86
Pierre_TerBlanche
Founding Member

Default Re: USD fork pros & cons

Pro: Less unsprung mass. This means less "weight" below the suspension, which means quicker recovery from a bump. Skinny tubes weigh less than thicker sliders. Buell X1 vs M2, same frame, engine, overall weight, but noticeable difference in roadfeel, USD vs std.

Con: More weight overall, because the "slider" section is now longer. Frames usually need reinforcement at the steering stem area to handle greater stress. Usually noteably more expensive, primary reason why they aren't (yet) on $8k sport bikes. Wait 1-2 more years.

Final: could Joe Average tell the difference? In most cases, yes. Better feel = greater confidence = ride faster. Could Jane Better-Than-Average still smoke him in a race? Yup.
Pierre_TerBlanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 02:33 AM   #87
robb_millett
Registered Member

"but you really shouldn't come to any conclusions on how a machine works w/o actually riding it."

On the face of it, the above comment does seem to make sense, but remember, Our Man Burnsie rides ALL the bikes, ALL the time, for a living...this experience would certainly give him the ability to make logically consistent assumptions about function accross brand lines that use carryover design elements.

robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 03:56 AM   #88
david_l_sumner
Founding Member

You mean like vtec on a vfr?
david_l_sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 05:43 AM   #89
dcopp
Founding Member

Buy the Daytona, EVERYBODY's got a Yamaha or a Gixxer.
dcopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 05:59 AM   #90
djenning_ga
Founding Member

Default Riding school

You will get a lot more preformance improvement for your $$ from a good riding school than from any other investment.

Agreed. Now here's the question: I am an adult newbie rider (about 2.5K miles), and I have some money to spend (though not tons). I would be interested in a riding school so that in a year or two I can hop off my Monster 620 and onto a sportier bike, and so that I could push said bike (but without killing myself). My main interest is street riding -- track days would probably be years in the future. So, are the "racing" schools a good place to look for instruction? Besides the local MSF course, are there other, more street oriented alternatives? Cheaper ones?

BTW, I think that the "Yamaha look" is lovely. Maybe I'll pick up an '03 R6 in '05. (Yes, motorcycling is a virus - and I didn't catch it until I was 31.)

djenning_ga is offline   Reply With Quote