Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-11-2002, 03:24 AM   #51
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Yamaha R6 Reader Feedback

Not unless you work really hard at getting the best out of the bike, like your buddy did.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2002, 03:31 AM   #52
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default A loaf of bread, a flask of wine and an R6

So even racers are slaves to beauty!
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 03:42 AM   #53
lu955i
Founding Member

Default Re: How fat are you Americans getting?

Now thats some funny ****e
lu955i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 04:20 AM   #54
R1TCHIE
Founding Member

I love what little I've seen and heard so far; especially if the F.I. is as spot-on as the R1's. The only expected/unexpected thing is that I rather thought the new generation would have the inverted forks. Are they more of a gimmick after-all, rather than of any real benefit ???
R1TCHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 05:22 AM   #55
rsheidler
Founding Member

Don't get me wrong -- I love my Duc, but by any rational measure, it falls short of the Yamaha. I have spent thousands on performance modifications (engine and suspension), and yet the stock Yamaha would easily outrun it, in a straight line or on a road course.

What the Duc does have going for it is

a) exclusivity

b) that sound

c) Most important -- it is already paid for!

rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 05:28 AM   #56
Gabe
Registered Member

Default USD forks

I think only show their benefits when they have top-quality internals. Plus they are a little heavier than conventional, so at the bargain-basement quality level of OEM suspension, they would be heavier and not provide any benefit to the rider.

They do look good, and lets face it, in this market, that's what it's all about, besides spec-sheet numbers.

Exibit A: Ducati Monster, not known for its suspension quality (unless you have one of the higher-spec models with Ohlins stuff).

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 05:45 AM   #57
rsheidler
Founding Member

If someone already has a reasonably modern sportbike in good working order, he/she will almost always be better off to spend any surplus cash on a good riding school (Freddy Spencer, Keith Code, Reg or Jason Pridmore etc) rather than getting hosed on the trade-in for the latest and greatest. You will get a lot more preformance improvement for your $$ from a good riding school than from any other investment.

Of course, if you are already an expert (say, you routinely finish on the podium in your local club races) or if you can afford to spend the $$ to have the latest and greatest bike AND take the riding schools, go for it!

On either the street or the track, a good rider will almost always beat an average rider, regardless of the bike.
Old 09-11-2002, 05:47 AM   #58
12er
Founding Member

Upside down forks in my mind would offer less flex. I could be completely wrong here but with the thinner slider tubes located down low there would be less of a degree of flex compaired to the tubes located higher up. Anyone agree or did I just leave the cap off the "White out" too long?
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 05:56 AM   #59
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: USD forks

Good point -- I have spent mega bucks on Racetech parts and services of a suspension guru to get the fork on my Duc 900 SSCR to work almost as well as that on a mid-90s Honda F3.
Old 09-11-2002, 06:38 AM   #60
Huss
Founding Member

Not all advances will be huge, but remember, many small ones will eventually have the same effect. If the manufacturers do not strive to continually improve their machines, then where would we be? Hey, who yelled out ridin' 700lb 60 hp oil leaking, shaking apart air-cooled cruisers?

Huss is offline   Reply With Quote