Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-10-2002, 10:46 AM   #11
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Flame job

I see that roadracingworld.com has photos including the flame version on their site. I think amasuperbike.com does also.
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2002, 10:51 AM   #12
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: 2003 Yamaha R6 Reader Feedback

Ok, what up with the 3 spoke rims on most pictures? MO has the 5 spoke images but Yamaha, MCN and others all show 3 spoke rims. PreModel release photos I guess...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 10:54 AM   #13
rsheidler
Founding Member

Yeah! Nice to see a Japanese maker go for paint schemes a bit more tastefull than the more typical bad acid flashback scheme seen on so many sportbikes of recent years!

This thing is almost enough to make me trade in my Ducati, on looks alone.
Old 09-10-2002, 10:58 AM   #14
rsheidler
Founding Member

Roadracing World also has the 5-spoke wheels. I assume you are correct about the prerelease photos.
Old 09-10-2002, 11:44 AM   #15
mattg
Founding Member

At the rate sportbikes are advancing they are very likely to end up like computers, obsolete the moment they leave the showroom. How long can this continue???? Not that I mind of course..
Old 09-10-2002, 12:00 PM   #16
cavebat
Registered Member

Default Yamaha Faces Accusations of Weightism

Yamaha Motor Company could face a firestorm of protest over a controversial design decision on its 2003 model YZF-R6 motorcycle. The dispute arises over the decision to specify 5-spoke wheels on its U.S. spec models, while units destined for the rest of the world receive lighter, and, some argue, better-looking 3-spoke wheels.

When asked about the decision at the North American unveiling of the bike, Yamaha spokesman Yoshihiro Akebono stated simply "Frankly, we got cold feet. Consumers are getting too large. With the current lawsuits against fast food companies, we decided that it was only a matter of time before we faced legal issues related to the structural suitability of our products to the North American market. Our entire product line is being tailored to the current average weight of the consumer. We estimate that for every extra 20 pounds a consumer carries, we need to add about 2 pounds to the bike to make it able to cope with the increased load."

This decision comes at a critical time for Yamaha, which is locked in a fierce struggle for supersport dominance, one in which weight is a critical factor. The lighter bikes are becoming more structurally challenged with every passing year. As Akebono bluntly puts it: "Put down the chips, turn off SpeedVision, and go for a ride. Oh, and take the MSF course and eat your broccoli, too."

In related news potato and corn chip manufacturers filed a defamation lawsuit yesterday in federal court against Yamaha Motor Corp. Their suit claims "It's not the chips, it's the couch."

In even less likely news, several major couch manufacturers filed suit today against the Frito-Lay company...

cavebat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 12:12 PM   #17
g-bear
Founding Member

Eight pounds lighter, three more horses, 0.0001 seconds faster... Sorry guys, max respect for everybody, but I just don't get it!
g-bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 12:21 PM   #18
Captain_1
Founding Member

I agree. Intense competition is forcing the manufacturers to implement design changes for the sake of change. Everybody knows NEWER IS BETTER. The changes often result in lower production costs as well. The downside is low resale value for perfectfully good late model sportbikes.
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 12:21 PM   #19
painter_1
Founding Member

You probaly won't notice three hp on the street. But with that stiffer frame and less weight along with the hp gain, you'll sure notice it on the track
painter_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 12:38 PM   #20
Captain_1
Founding Member

I like the flame job, headlamps and 5 spoke wheels. Has anyone else noticed how amazingly similar sportbikes have become?
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote