Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   2003 Yamaha R6 Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1379-2003-yamaha-r6-reader-feedback.html)

12er 09-12-2002 05:43 AM

Re: Riding school

Racing schools teach you how to handle your bike at the limit. Everything you learn will help you on the street. From keeping you from riding off a cliff to avoiding that excusion that just pulled out in front of you. If you cant afford a school pick up some books. Keith Codes twist of the wrist series is good, he also has videos to help out for not much dough. Take the MSF advanced course, its pretty cheap. But dont be afraid that because it says "Racing" or "Track" that you wont learn anything. You turn the same way on the street as you do on the track...

runner00 09-12-2002 05:52 AM

Re: 2003 Yamaha R6 Reader Feedback

Main Entry: mas·ti·cate

Pronunciation: 'mas-t&-"kAt

Function: verb

Inflected Form(s): -cat·ed; -cat·ing

Etymology: Late Latin masticatus, past participle of masticare, from Greek mastichan to gnash the teeth; akin to Greek masasthai to chew -- more at MANDIBLE

Date: 1649

transitive senses

1 : to grind or crush (food) with or as if with the teeth in preparation for swallowing : CHEW

2 : to soften or reduce to pulp by crushing or kneading

intransitive senses : CHEW

12er 09-12-2002 06:00 AM

Re: Riding school

One other thing, the better you learn to ride the more your going to get out of that 620. My 160lb brother on a $30k heavily modified 996 couldnt keep me in sight on the tight stuff when my 300lb butt was on a -50HP $5k KLR 650...

The main reason I would upgrade from your monster would be if you need more for passanger comfort or touring needs. Otherwise buy a filter, jetkit and a nice set of pipes then buy a good shock and get your forks done. Actually do the suspension first, better handling will shave more time off the track than all out power... Well unless your monster doesnt do it for you anymore, they buy what you want.

12er 09-12-2002 06:05 AM

Most Cruisers are more sadistic to the Passanger than sport bikes. Well as the butt pad goes. Granted leg room is a bit better and a sissy bar helps a lot.

pushkin_9 09-12-2002 09:29 AM

Re: Improvments

Oh yeah it does look better.... and to think I mourned the loss of the Ducati 996 as the best looking bike.

The king of dead.

Long live the king!

santambrogio 09-12-2002 10:02 AM

It's also fun to say:

testadicazzo

;-]

DucButt 09-12-2002 11:00 AM

Well, I made my bike purchase: Couldn't decide, so I got a new SV650S. The idea of a commuter bike that could double as a track bike (or vice-versa) appealed to me. Now I can retire the Ducati from track days (I never did relish the thought of all that costly Italian plastic if I ever threw it down...). I'll probably be faster on the SV650S at the track since I'm not worried about the bike - but this could be a bad thing...

jmeyn 09-12-2002 11:36 AM

No. When the bike controls the throttle the ECU (Engine Control Unit) can prevent the rider from asking too much acceleration and control the rate of application of power and braking to avoid wheelspin or lockup. It needs sensors to do that safely and accurately; they're what cost money.

jmeyn 09-12-2002 11:39 AM

I'm talking about GP bikes where cost is no object. Aprillia is using it now for sure; I don't know about the others.

Also it's pretty cheap if you already have an ECU. Just add acceleration measurement sensors and software.

Casey_Daniel 09-12-2002 02:20 PM

A smaller bike is going to be smoother because the smaller displacement bikes depend more on upperend horsepower than they do torque. A larger displacement bike producing more torque and horsepower is going to be alot more sensitive when you start to dial on the power. A small glitch in the FI on a big bike is going to make it lurch or stumble alot more than on a smaller bike. By the same token when dialing off the throttle on a big bike you're going to notice more of a difference with the engine braking. A smaller displacement bike is not going to try to engine brake nearly as much as a larger displacement bike if you have an abrupt off condition when you roll off the throttle. There is more mass and consequently power with the larger displacement and the FI is what controls that. Hope that answers your question and the wait was worth hearing the reply.