Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-10-2002, 09:45 PM   #71
itchface
Founding Member

Default Re: 900ss

I actually kinda' like the XL1200S. It's got a funny seating position and vibrates more incessantly than the bullet-shaped mechanical device I bought for my girlfriend so I could go right to sleep after sex without having to hear her complain that my job isn't done yet, yada, yada, yada.

Despite this, I admire it as an honest, simple bike that doesn't pretend to be anything other than what it is. In that way, it reminds me a bit of some of the old BMW Boxers I've owned.

Unfortunately, my current lack of financial fortitude precludes me from owning more than one bike at a time, and the Sportster Sport just isn't good enough at enough things to be enough bike for me right now.

Yes, I do agree; an SV1000 done up properly by Suzuki would be too irresistable to pass up. I've got my fingers crossed for another week or so...

SUZUKI, DON'T LET ME DOWN!!!
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2002, 06:07 AM   #72
xlr8r
Founding Member

Default Re: yes. vintage ducatis.

Oh dear, yet another apologist for vintage Ducatis. Ever tried to run one on a daily basis? Without the Snap-On van in close attendance? And if you want an air-cooled pushrod v-twin that works in the modern era, try the Guzzi V7/V11 series. Or the BMW boxer, which isn't a v-twin, but it's a (mostly) air-cooled twin and it works fine. Incidentally, the old R90 or R100 Beemer produced more torque and more BHP than the 'legendary' 900ss, as well as being a damned sight more usable in town.

But the original poster is right - nobody builds an air-cooled twin with such an emphasis on big pistons and light, snappy handling as Buell, so that puts it in a class of its own. QED.

And as for 'motor from the cretacious 'era', well, of course it is, because it was designed down to a price, using existing Sportster tooling. If it had an all-new motor it would cost more, and as we all know, what exercises MO readers most is not horsepower and certainly not having fun or being individual in their choices but whether they can save a few bucks on the sticker price. You are the world's most prosperous nation with an income the rest of the world can only dream of and you whine about having to pay less than the rest of the world does anyway for your pleasures. Give Buell a break - the Firebolt is a fine effort, and even though I don't want one, I'm pleased to see it there making a statement and being different.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 06:13 AM   #73
xlr8r
Founding Member

Default Re: yes. vintage ducatis.

Sorry, Lightning, not Firebolt. But both, in fact, and any other variants Erik comes up with using this ingenious frame and motor.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 06:28 AM   #74
DurangoKid
Founding Member

Default It's too bad...

...that the Lightning is just a styling exercise and cannot be differentiated from the Firebolt otherwise. Seating position is an important factor, but the bike is essentially the same.

Does Buell REALLY expect us to believe that the Lightning is different than the Firebolt? It's like saying the Chevrolet Camaro is different than the Pontiac Firebird.

I will be honest, I seriously considered buying the Firebolt and continue to flirt with the idea. I will admit that I have never ridden one. Furthermore, I though I have ridden a number of H-Ds, I have never ridden any Buell, or even a sportster. I wouldn't make a purchasing decision until I did so.

I like the concept of the Firebolt. I appreciate the innovative approach to design and I love the way the Firebolt looks. I am unable to appreciate the styling of the Lightning. That's my opinion though, it may not be shared by others.

I like the fact that the engine is a historical design, like the BMW, Moto Guzzi and Ducati (2-valve) twins. By now, everyone should realize that hp does not equal fun factor.

I had the opportunity to ride my first Ducati a couple of weeks ago, an '01 900SS. I really enjoyed it. I thrashed it for 50 miles. I had so much fun, I got pulled over for speeding. Thank you officer for the warning.

Based upon the comparo between the Firebolt and the 900SS, I can look forward to my first ride on the Firebolt.

For reference, I ride an Aprilia Falco.
DurangoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 06:47 AM   #75
unthanke
Registered Member

Default Re: It's too bad...

Actually, things like bar width and placement, footpeg placement, seat height and riding position make a huge difference in the character of a bike. These things would indeed completely change the way a bike feels. Just look at BMW. They're R models have essentially the same drivetrain, but you can't tell me that each bike in the range doesn't have an individual character.

unthanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 09:55 AM   #76
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Look it up, John

Go get him, KPaul! Maul him! Rant him to eternity!

John: If you look at KPaul's Member Info you'll see that he's in these pages about 10 times more frequently than you.
jmeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 10:04 AM   #77
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Hilarious!

Thanks for the post!

Sorry if you're serious but then, of course, it's even funnier.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:07 AM   #78
jmeyn
Founding Member

Default Re: The Harley Creed

Come on, DB; he's not talking motorcycles. He's talking about a philosophy of life. Nobody except him says he represents all Harley riders. Besides, he could be kidding. I hope.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:26 AM   #79
PsychoBueller
Founding Member

Default I know the Highwayman

The Highwayman posts his drivel on thw cycleworld.com forums all the time. Ususally just to get attention.

Pay no mind to the man behind the curtain...
Old 09-11-2002, 10:31 AM   #80
sqidbait
Founding Member

Default Re: It has Buell style, does it have Buell quality ???

> Preliminary reports indicate that the XB9R is besting even Honda's quality rating by over 50%

Reports from whom, eh?

I'd like to believe that Buell has fixed the quality issues, but I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe in 3-4 years...

RiDE magazine (UK) had an XB9R on test, that locked up in 5th gear... they couldn't downshift at all.

Maybe that was an isolated incident. And then again, maybe not.

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote