Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-10-2002, 03:43 PM   #61
itchface
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell Lightning XB9S Reader Feedback

I think Buell IS marketing this bike as an all-arounder, though with hooliganistic tendencies as you suggested. If you start off with a moderately agressive sportbike and give it higher bars and lower pegs, to my way of thinking you're reaching out for a broader audience, and not just targeting some small 'hooligan' niche. An S3 replacement would also be an all-arounder, but with some touring capabilities thrown in to the mix. That's not really what I'm after. I want a sporty, lightweight, crisp-handling bike with some measure of character, that can also occassionally meander a bit out of its specialty and tolerate some touring or passenger hauling. If this XB9S is incapable of this, then I'll have to pass, regrettably.
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2002, 04:34 PM   #62
900F
Founding Member

Yeah I guess! Harley needs to lose the pig iron engine on their buells and give them some serious ponies, like 90 at least.
Old 09-10-2002, 06:46 PM   #63
TheFox
Founding Member

Default 900ss

900SS is what you want. If you want to trade some of the character for a bit more comfort, go with and ST2. Both have the air cooled 2 valve motor, so it's way less to deal with maintenance wise.

Rumor is next year The SS's go to 800 and 1000cc's, and get Testestretta style valve angles and a 15hp increase on the bigger engine, so you may want to wait a bit.

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 07:31 PM   #64
sarnali
Founding Member

Thanks for clearing that up, Eric and copying the speed triple front end was a smart move too.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 07:46 PM   #65
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: 900ss

you might look at the sportster 1200 S model too there, itchy. While not as strong enginewise as the buell, it.s the most performance oriented sportster they make, supposed to handle good w/ adjustable suspension and triple disc's and what-not, plus a wide range of seat and bar choices, you should be able to set it up for comfort, they did a pretty favorable review of one a few years ago, here at MO, just a thought,,,,, but an SV1000 would be my pick also, I'm afraid.
Old 09-10-2002, 07:55 PM   #66
sarnali
Founding Member

Kpaul isn't allowed to play on the computer on a school night, you'll have to wait till the weekend to antagonize him JB.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:06 PM   #67
SR
Registered Member

It's not the size or position of the muffler that bothers me, its those awful hardware store bought looking silver brackets that hold the muffler up. They look cheap and home made. Why not make it all silver or all black, or maybe use nicer brackets. Right now it looks cheap.
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 08:08 PM   #68
SR
Registered Member

Hey I like the look of mufflers sticking out in the air. i think they look great. Just look at the Yamaha Warrior. Thats a nice huge can!
SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 09:12 PM   #69
Hair_Helmet
Founding Member

The Black XB9S looks awesome...the yellow looks pretty bad....but I'd still drive it if one fell in my lap.

Old 09-10-2002, 09:20 PM   #70
itchface
Founding Member

Default Re: 900ss

You know what irks the hell outta' me about that bike? The ***** maintenance costs! Desmodromic valve mechanisms simply do not belong on a bike meant to be used as a street bike, in my opinion. They're a mechanical anachronism, present only for marketing reasons. Unfortunately, the new 800 and 1000 you referred are still cursed by them. At the very least, Ducati ought to figure out a way to extend the valve clearance inspection intervals out to 15k miles or so to keep the cost of ownership semi-reasonable. Other than this problem, the Ducati is a great choice.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote