Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-10-2002, 08:10 AM   #41
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default yes. vintage ducatis.

you need to qualify it further. "air-cooled v-twins with two valves per cylinder that are actuated by pushrods." that oughta do it. it's probably the same regulation used by the AMA to ensure harley remains competitive in dirt track racing.

since porsche had a hand in co-designing the v-rod, it's safe to assume the XB also arose from industry collaboration. i can't decide whether harley partnered with john deere or briggs & stratten. either way it's good to know the collaborative spirit are alive and well in the heartland.

as a next step, harley really should try to sprout some ball$ and design a brand-new engine without roots in the cretacious era. surely SOMEONE at the motor company has a clue AND some clout.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2002, 08:21 AM   #42
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Re: 2003 R1 and R6

Agree the black bike is cool. Thanks
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 08:28 AM   #43
johnc
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell Lightning XB9S Reader Feedback

Sure glad I didn't buy an XB9R. This is the new Buell I've been waiting for! Now if it had 20 more horsepower---.
johnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 08:37 AM   #44
itchface
Founding Member

Thanks for the input Borgster. Though somewhat helpful-ish, I'm not sure you're quite ready to make a career move into the world of brochure writing just yet. But I appreciate your effort.

Still, I'm left with the following excogitations:

1. What is it about The Motor Company that makes them hold such contempt for passengers? Is it because the majority of passengers are women? Have their marketing people determined that in a sorta' retro-anachronistic way that showing concern for the welfare of women just doesn't fit their machismo image?

2. If revving the ***** out of the XB9S (& R) engine is counterproductive, then why did Buell bother to tune the motor to rev higher and produce MUCH more peak HP than in its vestigial donor? No, Buell meant for this motor to have good torque AND to be swift when you twist its nuts. But how will it cope with the latter in the long-term?

3. Desiring comfort on long-distance rides qualifies me as a pansy? You must be careful that you don't start to sound more like a typical masochistic Harley apologist instead of a Buell rider.

4. When does "Bad-Ass" go out of style? When "Bad-Ass" inevitably gets supplanted by something "BadDER-Ass." Will the XB9S then appear to be a pathetic caricature of itself? Aesthetically, I don't really think it'll stand the test of time quite as well as, say, a Ducati Monster. But who knows?

5. You hope prices will be high due to supply shortages? You wouldn't happen to be a Buell salesperson, would you?
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 09:05 AM   #45
Auphliam
Founding Member

Yes they should

As nice as every other part of that bike looks, it's hard not to find your gaze fixated on that huge noise-can underneath. I can't tell if it looks good or not, but I can't quit looking at it.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:14 AM   #46
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: yes. vintage ducatis.

And just when KPaul grinds to a halt another clueless poster steps to the plate. I knew someone would keep up the good work.
Old 09-10-2002, 09:20 AM   #47
Charlie
Founding Member

Who cares? for most people this will be a second bike that they take out occasionally and have a hoot on. The rest of the time they will ride a more main stream bike.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 10:16 AM   #48
pmmonster
Founding Member

That's exactly what I did to my TLS just a week ago. Careful though, you will want to wheelie and generally ride more aggressively around town I haven't hit the tight twisties yet but recommend the conversion.
pmmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 10:48 AM   #49
johnnyb
Founding Member

Now you mention it where IS that freak KPaul anyway? Like a rash going away or something. Suddenly you feel good again without knowing why... he must be still lurking out there somewhere, in his Coke bottle glasses and pocket protector...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 10:51 AM   #50
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default hmmmm ....

you call me clueless, yet you attack ME rather than my thoughts. is this going to turn into a battle of wits with an unarmed man? en garde!
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote