Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-12-2002, 07:07 PM   #111
thefirstnoel
Founding Member

Default Re: Buell Lightning XB9S Reader Feedback

I had a Ducati for a few years and loved it. I would factor in the cost of maintenance for the first 2 years to keep the warranty in good standing. I can tell you that my duc would need a valve adjustment around 10,000 to 15,000 miles. The golden rule for my wallet was not to bring it in until it ran poorly. This advice was given to me by a Ducati mechanic and worked well. The Desmo valves do not move much after they are broken in. I was shopping for a new steed and was looking at a Monster as a daily ride (I put about a 1000 miles a month on a bike). I understand the concerns of high maintenance on a commuter but would tell you to buy the machine that stirs your emotions. I didnÂ’t pick up a Monster but a friend did and we traded our new bikes on a ride home to share the experience. The Monster was pure magic but I was happy with the bike that I had decided on. A 2002 Triumph Bonneville is what stirs me. When you canÂ’t park your bike without turning to see it at rest, or ride it without a happy grin you will know itÂ’s the right bike.
thefirstnoel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-13-2002, 07:08 AM   #112
12er
Founding Member

Yep, no accessory sockets on them Harley's. My BMW has me spoiled, when the temp drops below freezing I just plug in my Aerostitch Kanetsu heated jacket and keep on grinnin'.

As for the pipes on a harley Im really starting to hate (Yes Im using the word hate) the @ssholes that put them on. There are several $30k+ customs in my neighborhood running straight pipes. Other than the 6:20 AM guy there are a couple (one could be him) riding home from the bar most nights around 2:30 AM. So I get it twice a morning.

Now before the Harley lovers jump back with "What about loud pipes on sportbikes?" Most sportbikes with loud pipes arent that loud until over 6K RPM to which in my 25mph neighborhood isnt even reached. (there are by far more sport bikes in my hood than Harleys) But on a low geared Harley thats two or three shifts of Hell Awakening noise... I used to love Harleys but after years of this BS its just rude. To anyone that wants to reply with a "shut up you Pu55y" give me your address and I'll buy an old V8, remove the exhaust and performance tune it all night in your front yard.

Wow I feel better, who needs professional help when you got MO!
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 09:10 AM   #113
itchface
Founding Member

Default Re: I know the Highwayman

I checked it out. You're right, exactly the same, word for word. Even in the Harley part of the forum this guy's thought of as a joke. I also notice he doesn't ever bother to respond to anyone's comments about him or his pitiful posts.

Obviously, this pathetic nitwit just gets his jollies out of posting ridiculous, incendiary tripe, then sitting back observing whatever maelstrom results. When he's not near his keyboard, he's probably out setting buildings on fire just to watch the commotion that ensues.

What a waste of a life.
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 11:01 AM   #114
itchface
Founding Member

There's no way I would part with $10k or so for a new 900 Monster and then only have the valves checked only when th bike began to run poorly. You're playing with fire taking your Duc mechanic's advice, IMHO.

Actually, my experience has shown me that MOST valves do a pretty good job of holding their clearances for a long time once the bike's broken in. But it's just too risky to assume that all is well and ignore the recommended service intervals.

A few years ago, Ducati's recommended valve inspection intervals were only 3,000 miles apart. Only after dealers reported that this information was costing them sales did they stretch the intervals to 6,000 miles (or so my intuition tells me). Even then, they recommended reverting back to the 3k schedule if you're riding the bike very aggressively (and what's the point of buying a Ducati if you're not gonna' cane its' nuts from time to time?).

If Ducati would drop the desmo valves on the Monster and go with a chain cam drive, the ownership experience would be way less financially traumatic for Monster owners. And I'd be among them in a heartbeat!

itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 09:24 PM   #115
Pain_Seraphiin
Founding Member

LOL, ur good
Pain_Seraphiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 09:30 PM   #116
Pain_Seraphiin
Founding Member

Default Re: yes. vintage ducatis.

Geez, let' Buell use the crestateoous engine, hell, they're way over priced for the poor performance as it is.

But I do applaud them for trying. Just break from Harley, they will hold you down relying entirely on yuppy status and not quality.

Wait, is it sunday? is my stubble thick enough? I must be a badito today.
Old 09-13-2002, 09:34 PM   #117
Pain_Seraphiin
Founding Member

Default Re: It's too bad...

Ride a 95 Duc SS, ego's were excellent. Put high performance pistons in it, and it like being fired out of a cannon!
Old 09-15-2002, 06:28 AM   #118
Jimi_Dee
Founding Member

Default Re: It has Buell style, does it have Buell quality ???

While there are factual quality control stats to back up a few of Buells recalls (the recalls addressed the SHOWA shock, and other outsourced items) the tranny and shifting drum have never been a problem...ever. Any machine can break or jam, or BE RECALLED whether manufactured in Nippon or Wisconsin.

The Blast has an exemplary record and the Firebolt is similar to it but much better. Buell quality may be the standard sooner than you think.
Jimi_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2002, 06:36 AM   #119
Jimi_Dee
Founding Member

Default Re: yes. vintage ducatis.

Actually, HD already has the engine...the VR1000. Just detune it and design it for production...smething even HD engineers should be able to do. The V-Rod engine is too heavy, but the VR1000 engine was in a 380 lb bike.
Jimi_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2002, 01:35 AM   #120
dichotomy
Founding Member

Ok Mr. Buel, bottom line, if you want to entice the majority of American sport bike riders to seriously consider buying one of your machines ... LOOSE THE DYNOSAUR ENGINE, bail out from Harley, contract Rotax to design and build a good WATER COOLED sport bike motor. Once you loose the "Look honey there goes one of them there new Harley Buel motorcycles ..." image, you'll find more sales. Until then no matter how good the bike is ... (from the friends who own them I hear that they are NOT that good) Buel's will continue to be just another "custom" Harley. Get out of bed with Harley and build the vision the right way. Harley's are for cruising, NOT sport riding! Hell, they needed euro design help with the V-Max motor ... Now if the Europeans had only designed the REST of that bike .....
dichotomy is offline   Reply With Quote