Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-04-2002, 07:51 AM   #31
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW Design

BMW is definitely uping the shock value of their designs. Though for me lately once the shock wears off (granted this much shock takes a while, or maybe just requires your cones and rods to heal) they start looking cool. When the new GS came out it was a huge "What the hell were they thinking?" Now its beautiful, well to me. Same thing is starting to happen with the CS. There is a silver one parked outside everyday and its looking better and better every time I pass. Now the burnt orange and blue version is ugly no matter what but with the other colors its looking better. Still though this thing may take even longer to love, well ok like...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2002, 07:58 AM   #32
Huss
Founding Member

Default Ignore the looks..

What makes this bike crap is the handle bar mounted fairing, lack of power and small gas tank. I used to own a Valkyrie Interstate (traded for Goldwing 1800) and the most glaring problem was that the handle bar mounted fairing made the steering "wag" at low speeds, i.e. the weight of it kept on making it want to fall one way or another until speeds picked up. This BMW is the same, and the problem is exacerbated by putting a passenger on the back, which lightens up the front end. But at least the Valkyrie had power and a 6.9 gallon gas tank (which with a 4 degree trigger wheel ignition advancer it would get 42 mpg on premium). This has neither. To make matters worse, these types of bikes are normally ridden two up. If you have to slip the clutch like crazy solo to get it moving, how about loading it down with gear and a passenger? Hoo boy...
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 08:03 AM   #33
dwr461
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW R1200CL Reader Feedback

I think I understand what BMW was thinking here. The typical cruiser purchaser buys the style first not the engine, brakes, or steering. BMW because of it's price cannot compete against Japanese cruisers. They would be up against the Motor Company. So if they can't sell Harley clones against Harley because of similar prices, they should have a completely different cruiser and cruiser-tourer. That way buyers are not deciding between two apples of similar price, as would be BMW vs. HD, but an apple and an orange.

That being said, this bike is ugly. But it will still sell because it's different and people will look at you while you're driving it. That's the bottom line of why people purchase cruisers in the first place.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 08:15 AM   #34
wallred
Founding Member

Bingo on the 4.5 gallons...

Dealbreaker fo rme...
wallred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 09:01 AM   #35
runner00
Founding Member

MSRP: $15990

No tanks .

I mean no thanks.
runner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 09:56 AM   #36
99R6
Founding Member

Hey.... i got an idea, why dont we take a zx12r to the drag strip..... nah.... we dont wanna do anything interesting, lets test a moped or a dirt bike instead.... or a bmw that nobody wants
99R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 10:01 AM   #37
steven_1
Founding Member

Well at least it doesn't look like a Harly clone. BMW's always look funky when new but 10 years down the road they look OK. R60/5 toaster tank, R90RS, ., K100RS, K75S, Ok so I have owned a few BMWs. Ride a K75S at the moment. Not everyone wants to ride somthing that looks like the every other bike. Would I buy this Bike? Hell no, its to ugly, and I like the R1100R.
steven_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 10:03 AM   #38
doc929
Founding Member

It will have the same horsepower as the cruiser with even more wieght. It will be slower than the full dress Hardley Abblesons. Have the Germans lost their minds? At least with HA horsepower is available with just a quick visit to the aftermarket. BMW owners won't be so lucky. What a pooch.
doc929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 10:03 AM   #39
Jay_Mack
Founding Member

---I've been a BMW apologist for many years. I've rationalized away any number of BMW design deficiencies and shortcomings. The R1100, K1200LT, R1200 and more.

---But this thing is finally going to turn me away from BMWs altogether! What is the purpose of the three extra headlights and underpowered engine? Why? The ridiculous colors. Why? The comical bodywork swirls and curves that they've implemented throughout the whole line up, as though emulating progressive design. Huh?

---This "motorcycle" is finally going to drive me away from BMWs. I just don't want to be associated with or seen on the street riding a marque that produces this oddity vehicle. THey've lost me.
Jay_Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 10:38 AM   #40
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Ugly bike but Excellent Review - BMW should hire Americans to style cruisers.

Hackfu review was excellent. Lots of good detail. But have to agree with most of the posts on this bike it is ugly. BMW should find some American custom bike designers and say design a bike with this engine etc. The fairing is so wierd on this bike. The only BMWs should style on their own is their sport tourers.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote