Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-04-2002, 05:21 AM   #21
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW R1200CL Reader Feedback

I am really glad that I skipped breakfast today. Jumpin' Christ will somebody slap the design department at BMW. What freakish cult, what lunatic demographic is BMW trying to hit with this thing. Good luck guys and gals at BMW; thanfully for you, it's a big country over here.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2002, 05:26 AM   #22
mconlon
Founding Member

I thought Yamaha was nuts when they came out with their cruiser with bags and that Honda's Valkyrie touring bike was... well, I mean, what's the point, they already make Goldwings, right? Now I actually don't mind the BMW standard cruiser--its nice to see something different in that copy-cat category--but this?!?!?!? This is an abomination! Same thing as Honda, only worse: they make some of the best touring bikes in the world, why would they want to make a dumbed down version out of their cruiser?

Whatever. Not for me, that's for sure....
mconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 05:32 AM   #23
mcjunkie
Founding Member

Default bottom line.

BMW mystique be dammed.. here's what you get:

A funky-looking underpowered touring rig w/ a ridiculously small 4.5 gal tank-- for $16.5k??

I know The Motor Co. does the same thing, but at least Electra Glides and Road Kings look cool.
mcjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 05:33 AM   #24
Zapata
Founding Member

Default Re: Psychedellic Drug Ring Uncovered In Spandau Factory

Comandante Gabe --

Lei su mensaje y me diverti mucho. Contigo estoy de acuerdo -- que moto tan fea! Debe ser la culpa de las drogas....
Zapata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 06:03 AM   #25
rsheidler
Founding Member

Default Re: Psychedellic Drug Ring Uncovered In Spandau Factory

Great Post!

I think it explains a great deal about some of the more recent designs coming out of Munchen. Note that this does not appear to be limited to the Motorad Division, as several recent examples from the Auto Division will suggest (the new 7 Series and the new Z? -- whatever the Z3 replacement is called are prime examples).
rsheidler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 06:16 AM   #26
dwr461
Founding Member

I have to admit that when I first saw this bike, I thought the headlights look oddly familiar. Now I know where I've seen them before, the Discovery Channel.

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 06:29 AM   #27
akcarlson
Founding Member

Default Ugly Bimmers

Good point. BMW seems to be going out of their way to ugly-up a good portion of their lineup. I'm glad the 5-series and the 3-series were reworked earlier--at least they'll be saved from uglification for a while.

Fortunately, the other Germans seem insulated from this trend. Except for the Cayenne. And the new SL.
akcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 06:30 AM   #28
Haird
Founding Member

Default Re: bottom line.

No, this is cool. Really, really cool. Really.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 07:34 AM   #29
santambrogio
Founding Member

Default BMW Design

BMW design:

Chris Bangle on the 7 and the Z4 and David Robb on the bikes. Both Americans and graduates from Art Center, Pasadena, CA.

Mr. Bangle has been talking profusely on his design theories on the 7 and the 'flame cut' Z4. He has been flamed profusely on rec.autos.bmw.

David Robb is striving for a similar fate. This crusier and the 650cc city bike are difficult on the eye.

santambrogio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2002, 07:41 AM   #30
morthrane
Founding Member

My god, its a deep ocean crustacean come to haunt the backroads!
morthrane is offline   Reply With Quote