Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-09-2002, 10:56 AM   #141
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: BMW R1200CL Reader Feedback

A perfect bike? The new BMW GS Adventure. Handles, tours and has almost a 9 gallon tank. Granted it weighs almost as much as a tank but then again so do I... Now how do I convince the wife that My K12RS needs a new friend.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2002, 03:51 AM   #142
rhust
Founding Member

Serious? Why would you reduce rider feedback by rubber-mounting your bars? Well, to cure a vibration problem, why else? Wouldn't want to re-engineer the motor or use better mounts - better to sacrafice a bit of control for ride comfort. And check out those specs! Wow - all that from a 1200?! Sigh...

About as disappointing as the Bonny America. Give that puppy about a 30% HP/Torque boost and you're talking kewl, but...ahhh nm...
rhust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 03:54 AM   #143
rhust
Founding Member

I'll settle for a little more pep and a little more discomfort and get two bikes for your one...
Old 09-10-2002, 03:55 AM   #144
rhust
Founding Member

Test some three cylinder bikes too!
Old 09-10-2002, 03:56 AM   #145
rhust
Founding Member

My GOD - what is that?! IT'S COMING THIS WAY!!! RUUUUUUUUUUUN!!!
Old 09-12-2002, 11:25 AM   #146
elizilla
Founding Member

I have to say I kind of like it. It's cool looking, in a fugly sort of way.

Another thing I'd like to point out, is that in a market where everyone else is concentrating on cruisers and sportbikes, BMW is the only company to offer such a wide variety of touring bikes. This bike fills an under-served niche in BMW's core market: Shorter riders.

That being said, I demoed an R1200C two years ago, and hated it. I hope this bike has better tires and a more compliant rear suspension.

elizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 09:24 PM   #147
ronowen
Founding Member

It might be marketed at me.

I'm in my early 50's and I've owned a Goldwing GL1200 for a few years after 20 years away from bikes. I don't put a lot of miles on the bike but what I have I've really enjoyed but I'm thinking it's time for a new bike. I've looked long and hard at the Valkarie Interstate and came real close but in the end I felt it was just too big and heavy. I'd like a smaller bike than the Goldwing, the weight gets to be a right pain.

I've been looking at the CL online since the first spy pictures came out and it just might be the perfect bike for me.

In no particular order:

1. IMHO only an idiot would buy a car without ABS so I'm pretty sure I'd be an idiot to buy a bike without it too.

2. My wife comes along and the pillion looks like it might be as comfortable as the Goldwing. She likes the CD player.

3. It's a lot smaller and lighter than most of the other bikes I'd consider.

4. The BMW dealer is excellent here. He gives demo rides on any BMW. I've asked for test rides on other manufacturers at other dealers and they basically laugh at me. Personally I think they're the crazy ones, what fool would buy a bike without first riding it?

5. He's sold a ton of R1200C's, I see them every day and I've got a couple of friends that have them as 2nd bikes. They say they're just great as run-around weekenders/overnighters. They don't break & bits don't fall off.

6. I'm not into the whole Harley/black leather & chains/Raiders deal. I don't want to dress up like it's Halloween every day and act like in a way that makes me indistinguishable from hundreds of other riders. I don't like paying above list to a greedy dealer so guess what, H-D isn't for me.

7. Up to $25k or so I don't care what the price is. I want quality & good engineering. I've gotten used to that with Honda and I'm not going back to some chain driven dinosaur that'll spend half it's time in the shop.

8. I like the CL looks and so does my wife.

That's all folks. My guess is that BMW will sell thousands of these just like it's sold thousands of the original r1200.

That's right, I didn't mention power & acceleration. The R1200C is fine and the CL will be fine too. If I wanted a speed machine I'd buy a Sports or Touring bike probably the ST1300.

ronowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2002, 05:28 AM   #148
schlie
Founding Member

early 40's, similar sentiments.

schlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2002, 05:07 PM   #149
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

mid-20s...similar sentiments.

I was raised on Super Mario Bros. and Big Hair 80s flicks: "style" is relative/subjective/generally cooler if it's *purposely* ugly.

I'll have enough to pay cash for my R1150R before April (birthday) next year. I like the CL, but I'm not comfortable on cruisers for long periods yet. And I can't afford it. But hey, in the real world, the Electra Glide y'all say it's aimed at goes for 25k-and-the-sky's-the-limit. At least this (100th aniv.) year.
Old 09-16-2002, 08:08 AM   #150
Hipshot
Registered Member

I never liked the look of the original C, this is better, but still a little wierd. Why would I want this rather than an RT? I got out of the Beemer thing a while ago and now ride a 99 Dyna, set up as a light tourer. It weights 75 pounds less, has 10 more HP and 10 more Ft/Lbs, which comes on at about 1 rpm. That's only with intake, exhaust and ignition mods. I can probably run that up to 90 and 90 without affecting reliability. It cost me a lot less than this thing. Many of the moto-motors today are HP designs and not torquemotors. The Boxer can be a torque generator, why did they screw that up? I give up.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote