Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-26-2002, 09:27 PM   #1
rags23
Registered Member

Default Re: Shadow 750 vs 883R Reader Feedback

yeah! first post :>!

since I am a sportsbike guy, not much in the way of comments (but I like reading about all bikes) except one thing:

repeat aftet me: Damping, not dampening ;>>>
rags23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2002, 12:01 AM   #2
badsac
Founding Member

Hrm. Maybe MO should offer a pay per view facility so users can pay to read individual articles instead of paying for a whole years worth of cruisers and scooters.
badsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 03:07 AM   #3
Auphliam
Founding Member

All these tests of "Almost Cruisers" have to be leading up to something.

How about a V92TC with the stage II kit. Doesn't the "most powerful luxury touring motorcycle on the market" intrigue you at all?

C'mon MO, test the new Victory already!
Old 08-27-2002, 03:13 AM   #4
robb_millett
Registered Member

Interesting comment about the Spirit's kewl paint...Honda seems to be giving more attention to it's cruisers' paint jobs, which is not a bad thing at all. there's a rider at my work with a current Shadow sabre 1100 that's got this kick-ass charcoal-ghost-flame-over-titanium metallic paint that you'd swear came out of some custom paint shop, but it's STOCK...

I gotta admit, though, that 883R looks the berries, even though we all know it's a stone

nice little comparo of the two bikes BTW. Never mind the sportbike snobs complaining about the cruiser tests recently.."you guys want some cheese with that whine?" heh.
robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 03:32 AM   #5
scott_650
Founding Member

As much as I hate to admit it, even when you figure in the "Harley tax" (pipes and jets), the Sportster wins hands down. I don't buy bikes to resell but H-Ds hold their value very well - even Sportsters. But the price they're charging for a set of mushy dual disk brakes seems a little excessive.
scott_650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 03:37 AM   #6
jsimpson
Founding Member

Having owned and built a few Sporties, and having ridden and rejected the Shadow, I'd like to see the Yammy V-Star 650 thrown into the mix. The Silverado (Heritage Softail lookalike) costs about $6400 real price at the dealer, and it's the sweetest handling cruiser I've ever ridden. With only 40 hp, it won't set performance records, but it's plenty adequate for a cruiser. Also, anyone who's ever ridden Harleys knows that the Sporty is the WRONG bike for short people or beginners. A Softail is much more forgiving, has lower center of gravity, has a lower seat height and is MUCH easier for a short person to ride. The Yammy V-Star 650 is evn easier because it's 300 pounds lighter. And lowering involves nothing more than a drill bit to move the forward shock mount! It has only two shortcomings: the valves are manually adjusted and the the clutch releases to suddenly.

john, rider for 46 years.
Old 08-27-2002, 03:43 AM   #7
Haru
Founding Member

Default this is what the naked bike shoot out....

...should have been like. REAL world.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 04:14 AM   #8
JC1600CC
Founding Member

I like the comment " if it were my money " you fail to tell the consumer how much over list they will have to pay to own the 883 Harley . Sure at suggested list the Harley may be a steal .

But tell me where you can buy one for list . I have yet to see any Harley sell for list price .

You really have to put the Harley in another price catogorie to make a " bang for the buck comparison " .
JC1600CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 05:09 AM   #9
Grover
Founding Member

"I have yet to see any Harley sell for list price."

Really? Not a single one? How many have you seen sold? Do you stand around the dealer and watch people buy them? Are you a Harley salesperson? Do your friends buy Harley's for more than list and tell you about it?

I won't say that certain dealers in certain areas don't charge a premium if they can get away with it, some can. The fact of the matter is, as I understand it, that the Motor Company frowns on its dealers charging more than MSRP. I would imagine that is why, here in Milwaukee, most dealers charge MSRP or less. They'd be busted real quick for price gouging because they sell bikes to the same people who design, market, and build (the engines anyway) them.

If you know of a dealer consistently marking up bikes, call H-D HQ and let them know. I'd be curious what type of response you'd get.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 05:13 AM   #10
Auphliam
Founding Member

LOL, you're right on there. I live in the Pittsburgh area and you can't touch one of these for less than 8G. Some sell for around 10G and don't even think about the 1200s for less than that. I've seen many of the dealerships selling used 12s for at least 10G.