Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-28-2002, 06:10 AM   #81
Paul_Grimmett
Founding Member

Default Re: Shadow 750 vs 883R Reader Feedback

I honestly coouldn't say for sure based on the ads. There were no "extras" listed, though.
Paul_Grimmett is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2002, 06:35 AM   #82
danch
Founding Member

<blockquote>Since they won't , how 'bout a SV650 engine in a cruiser frame? Better again, how 'bout a Kawi or Honda inline 4!!! Didn't they sell enough 1000 ltds? Come on, guys, let's give some kick to those things!!!</blockquote>

A while ago I had a perverse fantasy about chopping out an old 650 nighthawk. I still think it would be cool to have a chopper with a little revvy 4 in it. Sound better than a barely idling v-twin, anyway. Why don't those guys believe in tune-ups, setting timing, having the right jets? But then I've always preferred the sound a v8 makes with a nice tune and glass packs _with_ their packing intact, too. Gimme mello rumbles, not straight-pipe harshness!
danch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 07:09 AM   #83
TheFox
Founding Member

Sounds idea to me...get a one way ticket in advance from Chicago to LA, fly out, pick up my new bike and ride it home. It still comes out cheaper because I will spend less than 1000 dollars riding my bike home, plus the added bonus of this conversation when I get back from vacation:

"So what did you do on your vacation?"

"Picked up my new Harley-Davidson and rode Route 66 from California."

Worth every penny! Don't feel trapped about prices because airfare is CHEAP!

--Foxy

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 07:22 AM   #84
robb_millett
Registered Member

It happens to be the truth. Of course, like all truths that refute a comfortably held stereotype, it's regarded as the worst heresy by the knee-jerk "functionality-purists"

Here's MORE heresy:

Superiority in functionality is dependant upon 1. the operational environment.

2. the rider's management of the motorcycle's functional characteristics.

robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 07:29 AM   #85
robb_millett
Registered Member

I made my own exhaust fror my Intruder 1400, out of the stock headpipes and $15 Autozone car Cherry Bomb glass packs...welded up my own reducers and brackets, and they sound great!

a nice deep burble, kinda like an old inboard chris craft...when I screw it on, surprisingly, they really aren't any louder than some aftermarket pipes I've heard...

Old 08-28-2002, 07:39 AM   #86
robb_millett
Registered Member

Default Re: Uh-Oh!.....

".....another comparo which involves a Harley Davidson, we'd better install another hard drive in the server for all asinine musings that it will produce. "

Are we to infer that your musing, thus posted , is somehow non-asinine?
Old 08-28-2002, 07:48 AM   #87
robb_millett
Registered Member

You are referring to the AMA flat track class based on Proddie 1k cc Vtwins (in which the Suzi TL1000 - engine, in custom made flat track frames - appears to be the bike to have.)

These bikes do NOT race against the XR750. The XR 750 is in a different class which is populated by, well, XR750s.
Old 08-28-2002, 08:15 AM   #88
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: Vibration nation

(easy jokes time)..

And apparently your vision is =still= a bit blurry, eh?... "... was -firts- released, a -biddy- bought one..."

Sorry bud, just kidding... it was just there for the saying

-James

jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 08:19 AM   #89
itchface
Founding Member

Merriam-Webster dictionary:

Main Entry: 2engineer

Function: transitive verb

Date: 1843

1 : to lay out, construct, or manage as an engineer

2 a : to contrive or plan out usually with more or less subtle skill and craft b : to guide the course of

3 : to modify or produce by genetic engineering

synonym see GUIDE

I'm going with definition #2a and 2b in my defense. In its verb-transitive form, my use of the term "engineer" was wholly appropriate and I offer no apology for its use.

However, in its noun form (i.e. 'the engineer is a nitwit') I can see where, given the context of my postulation, the use was malapropos on my part.

Thusly, I can understand how an anal-retentive type individual bent on eradicating misapplied verbage from all casual posts could easily get steamed at my parapraxis, as is apparently the case here with you, Mr. Millett.

I will endeavor to be more conscientious in choosing more accurate deictic desciptions in all future posts, and I apologize to anyone who was offended by my unpardonable transgression.

Now that I have humbled myself for my admitted faux pas, Mr. Millett, let me invite you to re-read my post. Please feel free to provide any insight you may have to refute or elaborate on any of the points I made therein. If you choose to accept my invitation, let me suggest that you mentally substitute the word 'engineer' with 'designer' as you peruse my missive, lest you fail to see the proverbial forest but for those abominable trees.
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 08:53 AM   #90
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: apples and oranges

Actually, I don't think he's that far off.

Sportsters were, in their day, -sport-bikes-... as sporty as they got at the time (to compete with the Brit-bikes etc..., they had to be).

Because they are today outclassed by current models of standard/sporty-standard bikes is not the fault of the current standards, it's Harley's issue with not updating their 'sport-bike'.

Not arguing for or against that stance... it obviously works for Harley... just pointing it out: it is a -fact-, we can't deny it.

If you think the Harley is not intended to be at least mildly sporting, then why do they actually have a race-series for them (Sportster 883 dirt-track series). This very model tested is intended to be the race-rep version from that series.

You don't see Honda trying to race the 750 Shadows. Nope, they market that bike as a pure cruiser (entry level, sure), it has made -zero- aspiriations to be anything else.

These bikes are/were compared simply b/c this is the only Harley in this price range that's available (not including Buell... speaking of...).

A better 'performance' comparo for the SV, etc... would be the new Firebolt though... the new one with bars and not clip-ons. But, that's not a 'Harley', per-se.

-James

P.S.: If we wanted to compare old-school standards, I'll throw my '84 RZ350 in there, roughly as 'current' as an 883, right? To a lot of non-enlightened folks on the street, parked next to each other (RZ & 883), tbey'd look quite alike. There's no way an 883 could stay in the same zip-code though, once we're out and about.
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote