Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-28-2002, 03:48 AM   #71
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Shadow 750 vs 883R Reader Feedback

my bad, LOL
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2002, 03:53 AM   #72
robb_millett
Registered Member

I find both your, and the opinion of the writer who originated this particular response thread to be steeped heavily in the usual conventioal wisdom about cruiser functionality.

I would challenge you to define that improved functionality is real terms, NOT the usual stereotypes.

I come from a background of cafe racers and sportbikes (been riding since '75, avg 5500-6000 miles a year, up here in the fridgid northeast) and in all honesty, my Suzi intruder 1400 is the BEST commuter bike I've ever personally owned, in the slow troll of sureface-street rush hour, it's far more comfortable than my 700 interceptor was, (or the cafed-out GT750 (the GS550E with superbike bars wasbn't too bad) not to mention that when I'm packing the gym bag and rain gear and sundry other workday accouterments, that little sissy bar sure makes for secure bungie-nettage...I've never had a passenger complain about the seat either, as long as they aren't too huge.

Issues of reliability? on modern cruisers? LOL!C'mon dude, throw away the stereotypes that cloud your mind!!! just keep changing the oil and spooning on tires...any modern cruisert will ride as far and long as you can take.

As far as riding functionality (handling, braking etc) I find I have just as much, or more fun, beating it up thru a series of curves because of it's lower expectations...not to mention the fact that my VS1400 is one of the best wheelie machines I've ever owned, and is FAR more comfortable and easy to slide (because it's raked out geometry slows down it's steering responses) than my VF700 EVER was.

"one hundred times more functional, reliable ..."etc..

LOL!

this has most certainly NOT been my experience.
robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 04:13 AM   #73
robb_millett
Registered Member

Sorry, but your comment about "poorly engineered" cruisers, is simply wrong. If modern cruisers actually were "poorly engineeered" they would break. they would be unreliable. they would have gross mistakes in design details regarding functionality or strength of materials ... THOSE are elements of "poor engineering"

you are mistaking "engineering" for a combination of things: styling taking precededence over design and forcing the mechanical design into a specific form, and parts selection controlled by build-to-cost issues, to achieve a specific price level.

This does not mean that the engineer charged with designing the frame on the Shadow Spirit did not spend as much time as the designer for the frame on the RC51, or used inferior materials (steel isn't inferior to aluminum, no matter what the marketing guys tell ya), but it does mean that his design priorities were being forced by a different set of constraints.

saying that cruisers are "poorly engineered" simply because their design constraints are more completely forced by styling, than those of sportbikes or standards is lazy, and, willfully blind to the truth.
Old 08-28-2002, 04:18 AM   #74
robb_millett
Registered Member

I totally agree with jamming some inline fours into Cruiser frames! (I have the Cobra/Denny Berg "Copper Chopper" as wallpaper on my PC desktop)

the V-twin thing has been done to DEATH, stick a friggn' fork in it puh-LEEZE!

"oh, another big Vtwin? wow...*yawn*"
Old 08-28-2002, 04:25 AM   #75
Grover
Founding Member

Are these bikes totally stock? Sometimes (in fact a lot of times) dealers will take new stock bikes and load them up with P&A stuff, then charge extra because of all the accesories they put on.

Not sure what the business/profit model is that makes this profitable for the dealers, but I'm sure they come out ahead somehow.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 04:36 AM   #76
Grover
Founding Member

That was one of the most insightful things I've seen posted on this sight. As a former member of cruiser design/engineering teams, thank you for pointing this out.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 06:17 AM   #77
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Re: Never mention list on a HD, said the dealer!

Wow! Such hatred toward Harley! And from a Valkyrie rider at that.

I would expect you valkies to be more accepting of another’s choice in mount simply because what you ride is so unique. Or maybe that should be extinct.

Try a decaf latte' next time and avoid Harley shops, M/C Rallies (except for Wingding and The Hoot) and "Bike night" at the local eatery. This may help in reducing you aggravation.

Cheers!
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 06:34 AM   #78
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The rules have been changed to include 1000cc twins my friend. They all had to be detuned to race on the dirt, so please spare the "killing the horsepower" argument. All the 1000's have more horsepower than the 750 Harley and they are all slower. If you have any information contrary to what I just stated then give it.
Old 08-28-2002, 06:36 AM   #79
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Never mention list on a HD, said the dealer!

If you hate em so much, why were you there in the first place?
Old 08-28-2002, 06:40 AM   #80
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

Default Uh-Oh!.....

.....another comparo which involves a Harley Davidson, we'd better install another hard drive in the server for all asinine musings that it will produce.

Amazing that a manufacturer of uncomfortable, ill- handling, slow, badly-designed, expensive P.O.S's provokes such vehement rhetoric, let alone that they are still in buisness and selling more units than ever!

Nobody ever forced anyone into buying and riding any motorcycle.

BTW, I liked the article, as I like most of your articles (even the one's about scooters that are completely useless for anything other than screaming around a race track), I will be renewing my subscription, keep up the good work.

P.S. I do have a line on some slightly used hard drives, does it matter that they have "Enron" stenciled on them?
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote