Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-27-2002, 05:44 PM   #61
bandito1200
Founding Member

Default Re: Shadow 750 vs 883R Reader Feedback

Only Harley Davidson could produce an 'R' model that is HEAVIER than the standard version

MJB
bandito1200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2002, 06:05 PM   #62
mxgb5
Founding Member

Yeah, those dual front brakes must weigh a ton! Since the bike only has one muffler instead of two, that should cut some weight... shouldn't it?
mxgb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 06:55 PM   #63
arizonagerg
Founding Member

Sorry, I have to disagree.

I own a 95 Softail, and an 87 Kaw Concours. For me, the Harley has the more comfortable riding position. However, the Harley's comfort factor quickly degrades at speeds above 60-65 mph due to a combination of vibration and air blast (Dont have the windshield on it), hence, the Councours for all the 80+mph riding on I-10. (75mph limit). But at 50-60 mph the Harley has a sweet spot I have not been able to duplicate on another bike.

I have ridden both bikes far and near for many years now. I still prefer the feet forward upright position of the Harley. But when burning up the miles on the Interstate at high velocity, the wind protection is far better on the Concours. Still, it cooks and buzzes like like crazy. After a trip from Phoenix, to LA, on the Connie, I wanted to shoot it. Four days later, after the return trip, I wanted blow it up with copious amounts of C4. After cruising two lanes in the four corners area for 4 days on the Harley, I felt refreshed.

Still, I love each bike for different reasons, and for the various purposes they fulfill.

Now I am not saying the cruiser ergos or for everyone, but I constantly see the rantings of those like yourself expressing their OPINION as gospel. For me, and a few others I know, the cruiser position/ergos are fine. I also know others who feel the opposite.

To each his own. Enjoy the ride whatever it is.
arizonagerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 09:46 PM   #64
itchface
Founding Member

I know what you mean about the horrendous buzziness of the Concours. I took one out on a long ride with my now ex-wife (Concours not to blame. She muttered something about my run-on sentences driving her batty and off she went even though I told her I didn't know what she was talking about and that I'm very economical with words)) and I too wanted to extract revenge against it.

But I stand by my assertion that typical cruiser ergos are totally wrong for a motorcycle which is actually designed to operate at highway speeds for more than just a ride across town.

Feet-forward riding positions cause your butt to have to support almost all of your body weight. Not only does this result in rapid-onset butt-burn, it also gives bumps not fully swallowed up by your shocks a straight path up your spine. The pullback bars endemic to the breed often reinforces a slouched posture, hence the lower back pain alluded to previously.

These problems are in addition to the safety and handling maladies resulting from the awkward positioning of the rider.

Cruisers ARE more comfortable when you're sitting on them in the showroom or when you're riding slow enough that wind management ceases to be an issue, I grant you that. But if you're gonna' put in long hours in the saddle, doesn't it make sense that the majority of this time would be spent traveling at highway speeds or beyond?

I also concede that not ALL cruisers are as sadistic as I'm making them out to be. I found the Valkyrie, for one, to be semi-tolerable. Unfortunately, the decent ones are in the minority, and for this I blame short-sighted product designers who know that the sizzle will move the steak, but the steak's got botulism that, when discovered, will result in the diner ordering out for a pizza.

I must go now to ponder the REAL reasons my wife left me...
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 10:44 PM   #65
kwh
Founding Member

Nope, it was a Honda; the Bonnie rider was ahead right up until he slipped off on his own oil leak 20 miles earlier, and the Norton rider stopped by the side of the road 10 miles after that, to try to work out why his motorcycle was only firing intermittently on one pot, while Lucas, Prince of Darkness laughed maniacally in the distance...
Old 08-27-2002, 11:14 PM   #66
xlr8r
Founding Member

It's the cultural mythology Harleys carry that weighs so much. Not the metal parts, but the mental ones.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 01:06 AM   #67
designeraccd
Founding Member

Sportster brakes rate right up there with my 1966 Honda CA77 305 Dream! Drag your feet! Despite the fact that a Sporty is the newest "old" bike money can buy (other than the 1955 Indian built Royal Enfield Bullet) they are actually fun bikes to ride and own. One gets such a sense of accomplishment going thru a curve at 60-65 when you know the same curve could easily be taken at 80-85+ on a Ducati, BMW, GL 1800 etcetcetc. I know, I'm on my 3rd Sporty, but this time it's a "powerful" (yea, right...) 1200cc std. Sporty. ow, whiplash............ designeraccd
Old 08-28-2002, 01:55 AM   #68
Paul_Grimmett
Founding Member

I guess they choose not to around here:

A few local listings for the 883R:

$8995 (2001 model used-16 miles)

$7200 (2002)

$8500 (2002)

$9995 (2002)

Note: These are not all listings I found, but I found no listings at MSRP: $6695
Paul_Grimmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 02:17 AM   #69
robb_millett
Registered Member

Default Re: Vibration nation

LOL! When the 883 Evo sporty was firts released, a biddy bought one and we spent a day riding around trading bikes (I was riding my '77 Water Buffalo at the time) I remember that the sporty handled pretty good, though the brakes were crap...but what I remember most, was every time I got on the throttle, it vibrated so much that my vision blurred..
robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 02:26 AM   #70
robb_millett
Registered Member

Hey, that's exactly how I ride my 1400 intruder! key to comfort (on any bike, I've found) is the ability to change position... so I'll swing my feet back onto the pass pegs for a while...I hate forwards, they suck for riding comfort, if they're all ya got.

robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote