Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-30-2002, 02:32 PM   #171
itchface
Founding Member

Default Re: Uh-Oh!.....

Please acept my apologies for my use of analogies to make a point. I should have realized that certain members of this group don't have the mental capacity to comprehend how wildly divergent topics can all still relate to the same original issue.

Please do not be offended. As retribution for the insensitivity I've subjected you to, I will make a small donation to R.E.T.A.R.D., the charity you're the president and only member of (stands for Real Easy Target And Ridiculous Dumb$hit).

Are we friends now?

itchface is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-30-2002, 04:02 PM   #172
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Uh-Oh!.....

No problem sport, Be sure to send cash
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 08:36 AM   #173
ridinsince59
Founding Member

Default Re: Shadow 750 vs 883R Reader Feedback

Hey Mooner!

I'd NEVER question anyone's sexuallity here, but I DO question ths comfort/back friendliness

of the typical "laid-down",sportbike ridig positon with your legs jammed up under you as if you're squatting on the floor.

And NO i don't like my bike any less for it's deficiencies! For the $5,999 I paid, I think it's a GREAT value! I read the reviews (mentioned previously) before I bought it, so I wasn't expecting a Hayabusa for $5.999!

In fact, the bargain Spirit 750, which meets my around town, boulevard-cruising needs very well, received praise from Burnsey's fellow Cyle World writer, David Edwards, who wrote the following in his "10 Rest of 2001 Awards" column:

Best Bargain Bob-Job: Honda Shadow Spirit 750. VTX1800 histrionics aside, my favorite cruiser of 2001. A spinoff of the ACE 750 retro-wagon with cut-down fenders, chopped suspension and a shotgun exhaust. Simple, sweet and, at $5999, cheap,just like the bobbers of the Forties and Fifties. I see a CW

Project Bike in primer black and flames, set off by hot-rod red wheels, a wide whitewall out back and, if I'm feeling particularly hep-cattish, maybe a leopard-skin seat cover. Cool, Daddy-O.

The URL for his article is:

http://www.cycleworld.com/xp6/CycleW...01_upfront.xml
ridinsince59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 08:40 AM   #174
ridinsince59
Founding Member

Hey Mooner!

I'd NEVER question anyone's sexuality here, but I DO question ths comfort/back friendliness

of the typical "laid-down",sportbike riding positon with your legs jammed up under you as if you're squatting on the floor.

And NO don't like my bike any less for it's deficiencies! For the $5,999 I paid, I think it's a GREAT value! I read the reviews (mentioned previously) before I bought it, so I wasn't expecting a Hayabusa for $5,999!

In fact, the bargain Spirit 750, which meets my around town, boulevard-cruising needs very well, received praise from Burnsey's fellow Cycle World writer, David Edwards, who wrote the following in his "10 Rest of 2001 Awards" column:

Best Bargain Bob-Job: Honda Shadow Spirit 750. VTX1800 histrionics aside, my favorite cruiser of 2001. A spinoff of the ACE 750 retro-wagon with cut-down fenders, chopped suspension and a shotgun exhaust. Simple, sweet and, at $5999, cheap,just like the bobbers of the Forties and Fifties. I see a CW

Project Bike in primer black and flames, set off by hot-rod red wheels, a wide whitewall out back and, if I'm feeling particularly hep-cattish, maybe a leopard-skin seat cover. Cool, Daddy-O.

The URL for his article is:

http://www.cycleworld.com/xp6/CycleW...01_upfront.xml
ridinsince59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2002, 09:28 AM   #175
Paul_Grimmett
Founding Member

The sandbag argument is skewed because you're moving an entire mass from tank to pegs. A rider changing positions is not the same. Standing on the pegs allows for extra springing (from the knees) and allowed your body to move in another direction than the bike moves.

A more precise description below:

http://www.msgroup.org/TIP142.html
Paul_Grimmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 01:13 AM   #176
alanheng
Founding Member

Standing up on the footpegs actually raises the CoG.

When you lower an engine in a frame you lower the engine. When you stand on the footpegs your body is higher than where it was... the only thing that has changed is where the body attaches to the bike... which wouldn't necessarily mean that the CoG will change.
alanheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2002, 11:50 AM   #177
jdsound
Registered Member

Stonehenge.. is that the place that people pay thousands of dollars to travel to just to say they have been there? Harley.. that is the cycle that people will pay premium price for to ride it off the showroom floor, just to say "I've got a Harley."

Yea the Harley is more fun in my book. It's also cheaper to hop up and trick out than the Honda. When that Honda is 10 years old, so many metro dealers won't touch it, but you can always find a Harley wrench. Import bikes may be cheaper to buy, but I find changes from stock usually cost more, because so many companies make parts for the Harley, not so much for your Hondas.

I ride a Kawasaki, and my wife loves her Harley.. almost as much as me ( I think).

jdsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 04:22 AM   #178
dardas
Founding Member

When are the Japanese makers going to come out with a cruiser designed to look (but not rattle/vibrate) like a Sportster? I think the Sportster has a unique style that sets it aside from the typical cruiser.

I'd be first in line with dosh in hand.
dardas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 09:03 PM   #179
greenflash
Founding Member

Just a few thoughts after reading a number of bike comparisons here...

1. I own a '99 Victory V92C and really like it - modernized 4-valve V-twin engine, totally reliable, Fox shock and Marzocchi forks make for decent handling until the floorboards touch down. I've even gotten used to the transmission (now improved on 2002's). This will be my cruiser and tourer for the forseeable future. I have no desire to own a HD Big Twin instead. I would echo that Victory is not given the respect it deserves - this company, unlike E-H, is in it for the long term . They really invented the "sport cruiser" category even though the V92SC didn't survive. Overall, a "sleeper" and should be given more credit.

2. I also own an '01 Ducati 900 Supersport - this bike taught me what a really good handling bike is all about. Nice tractable motor although not a powerhouse. Styling is poetry, and the italian passion is for real, more so after attending Ducati DRA in Vegas...

Still, why do I miss my Buell so much?

3. Buell M2 Cyclone - I sold it but I had 15K miles on this bike and miss it the most. I'm quite happy with a Ducati and Victory, but I don't think I'll ever own a bike with such neck-snapping torque off idle and great handling to boot. I totally buy into the Buell concept - the great people in the Buell Riders Adventure Group, dinners with Erik Buell at Laguna Seca and Daytona, a bike that will go from canyon carving in SoCal , to rides from Ontario to Nova Scotia, from San Diego to Monterey, from Tampa to Milwaukee for the HD 95th....etc.

OK, enough Buell raving - just wanted to state that the HD Sportster motor is capable of surprising reliability and performance in the right state of tune. Buells can be acquired at bargain prices and they are so much more bike than the Sportster. BTW, local (new) H-D dealer in Pompano Beach, Florida with nice new building is selling H-D 883R for $10K - hope they don't sell any at this price!

greenflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2002, 10:45 PM   #180
itchface
Founding Member

As I had privately admitted to Mr. Millett after it appeared this string had run its course, I 'splained things all wrong. The effect of weighting the pegs does NOT lower the overall C of G of the bike/rider package, as I had so adamently stated (and, BTW, I apologized to Mr. Millett for my brutish ways).

The C of G of an unladen motorcycle is generally lower than the C of G of a bike/rider package. By weighting the pegs, the rider is, in effect, uncoupling from the structure below, permitting said structure to resume something approaching its intrinsic C of G. The effect on the bike's handling is the same as I had described, but my technical explanation was really suckatory. I was so embarrassed by my ignorance of physics that I almost jumped off a bridge. But then I decided it would be better to lose some weight first so that I could free-fall a little longer...

itchface is offline   Reply With Quote