Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-30-2002, 03:21 AM   #161
badsac
Founding Member

Default Re: Subcription = free pass to whine

BTW, nowhere did I gripe about the subscription price.

Cheap shot about the cruisers and scooters aside (hey, I don't like them. Sue me.) a cheap pay per view scheme would probably be a good idea to make the site a bit of money. I'm sure there are heaps of people (and I know a few) who generally don't think the site is all it could be, but would be willing to shell out a few bucks to read reviews on their favourite kind of bikes. Do enough of those reviews and you'd probably be getting more money out of them than you would by just charging them upfront anyway. Even if they didn't come back that much you'd be still getting a bit of dough out of them that you wouldn't normally be which I think you'd find would be a very nice little money spinner.
badsac is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-30-2002, 04:00 AM   #162
jstein
Founding Member

Default Re: Shadow 750 vs 883R Reader Feedback

NOW I find out. Oh well, at least it says 'Cobra' on the side of the shield.
jstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 04:22 AM   #163
robb_millett
Registered Member

"Oh, and I never claimed that putting a rider on a bike lowers its COG. "

well yeah, ya did.

..."weight the pegs." [clip] and dramatically lowers the CofG at a critical time." LOL! every engineer reading this site is laughing at you.

the only way to "dramatically lower the C of G" by "weghting the pegs" would be to hang the rider from them underneath

there are many other inconsistencies in your arguments, but, i'd rather not extend this thread any further, since by the evidence of your verbose rationalisation of your entrenched ant-cruiser bias there's certainly no way you'll be convinced to take a different viewpoint...

I have to ask though, Do any of your opinions regarding cruisers derive from your own experience riding them? Or do they derive from hearsay, or opioonions written in the mainstream motorcycling press?

How long have you been riding? How often do you ride?

just curious..

you are welcome to the last word.

robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 06:12 AM   #164
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default Re: apples and oranges

Yes, the Suzukis have had a somewhat spotty reliability record-I just don't think that on the whole it's any better or worse than that of The Motor Company. And before I hear a lot of "they're much better now", it should be noted that they're still not good by anybody's standards. I'm sure there are TL1000 owners out there right now who COULD say the same thing you say about your XLX. Hell, I've got a 1984 V65 Magna in the garage w/ 40K miles on it and the original camshafts in the heads that only asks for new tires and regular oil changes. If you pay attention to the lists, this is unheard of-but I'm not the only one who's never had any trouble.

Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 06:51 AM   #165
itchface
Founding Member

I now see that the credit I previously gave you for intelligence was undeserved, Mr. Millett. You had me fooled for a while, though.

Let me try this again. I'll try to simplify this as much as possible so you can keep up. Take a motorcycle. Place a 100 lb lead weight on the seat. Determine the CofG of this ladened motorcycle. Take the same lead plate, remove it from the seat and bolt it to one of the footpegs. The CofG of the overall package (bike and lead weight combined) is now lower to the ground. I can't understand why this is so difficult for you to grasp, Mr. Millett. By your logic, lowering the placement of the engine in a frame would have no impact on the overall CofG either, unless you were to place it UNDER the frame.

If I'm committing a fundamental error of physics here, perhaps one of the laughing engineers you referred to can take a minute to explain how the overall CofG would NOT be affected by this? Or maybe you, Mr. Millett, can enlighten me, if you don't mind.

Have I ridden cruisers? Easily 100 different ones. I make my living in the motorcycle business, and have so for close to 25 years. I have owned well over 50 different bikes (I've lost count years ago) of all types and sizes (and nationalities). I have done everything there is to do on bikes from touring to motocrossing.

Does this background qualify me to have my own opinion yet, Mr. Millett? I'd ask you what your own qualifications are, but your ignorance reveals the answer so I won't bother.

For someone who had previously welcomed a debate so enthusiastically on this whole cruiser subject, you sure are giving up awful easy. And in a manner that suggests that you are quite embarrassed being exposed as someone who talks out their ass.

itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 07:35 AM   #166
Paul_Grimmett
Founding Member

From what I remember of physics, to weigh the footpegs, one would need to slightly stand with weight off their rear, which would only increase center of gravity (you are now up higher). I think the shock absorption by the legs theory is more viable. Below is QA link that supports my COG theory.

http://ist-socrates.berkeley.edu/~fa...eQuestions.htm
Paul_Grimmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 09:14 AM   #167
itchface
Founding Member

You can easily affect the overall CofG up or down by shifting your own body weight among the different contact points of the bike.

To illustrate, place a 50 lb sandbag atop a traditionally mounted fuel tank, then pick the bike up off the sidestand, making a mental note of the force required. Repeat the experiment, but with the sandbag relocated to somewhere directly below the tank somewhere in the vicinity of the footpegs. Big difference in effort needed to straighten the bike, wouldn't you say?

Since the difference in force required was not as a result of any reduction of overall mass, the difference can only be explained by the shift of mass to a lower point, thereby creating an overall lower CofG. You can simulate this by using a pendulum with a movable weight attached.

Perhaps, in the jargon of physicists, I'm using the wrong terminology when I mention CofG. Is this what you're contending? Otherwise, I haven't a clue why this concept is so difficult for you and Mr. Millett to comprehend.
Old 08-30-2002, 10:40 AM   #168
itchface
Founding Member

Default Re: Uh-Oh!.....

Wife to husband: Please stop beating me! It's a morally reprehensible act of a coward, and I am wholly indeserving of it!

Husband to wife: No, I will continue to beat you, since the only reasons you give for me to cease have been used before, ad nauseam.

Wife to husband: I agree that they may not be original thoughts, but since my logic has, so far, failed to compel you to stop this abborant behavior , I thought it wise to repeat it in the hopes that you may begin to understand and take heed.

Husband to wife: I choose to dismiss your appeal to decency and civility until such time that you abandon all hope of my ever comprehending the issues which have been brought up previously, and you come up with new ones, which, of course, I will summarily dismiss as well for some yet-to-be-fathomed reason.

*SMACK!*
Old 08-30-2002, 12:17 PM   #169
sarnali
Founding Member

This guy that lived in our neighborhood back then had a 305 scrambler with the high pipes and no mufflers and the bars upside down so they looked like clip-ons,,,all us 10yr olds thought he was pretty cool.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 12:38 PM   #170
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Uh-Oh!.....

What the ***** are you on about now? you jump from cheeseburgers to wife beaters when the subject was Harley's and the "fools" that buy them. Maybe some people Like macdonalds,, Maybe some people buy Harleys, not because they are a fashion statement, but because thats what they want, not the latest and fastest, The whole fashion statement analogy could apply to Ducati's these days too, Did you think about that? I hope your nose don't bleed up on that high horse of yours, but you'll find opinions really are like assholes, it's best not to show yours off too much.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote