Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-29-2002, 02:09 AM   #111
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: apples and oranges

Yeah, I've seen those semi-races... those are ridiculous. About every 3rd bend in the track, two or three of them either collide or shoot off the course!

I like the idea of that Monster racing in BSB, that sounds like good, fair fun! Who gets to do the riding though?.. the pros, or just local yokels out of the stands??.. (I hope not the latter!).

I totally believe and understand why they'd race all of those bikes you listed, they each have a decent bit of sporting character. The Shadow in this test though... no sporting character at all... zero, none, zilch! I'm not being cruel or unfair to the Honda, but it's just destined to be a -lowsy- corner carver by design. I don't think Honda would dispute that either.

At best, someone could -drag-race- them, if they wanted to see exactly how slow you could stage a drag-race!!

-James

P.S. before anyone gets wrankled and defends the Honda 750's, I have one (the ace750), so I speak from experience... I love the bike though, it's just not sporting in the least. It is a super commuter though.
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-29-2002, 02:11 AM   #112
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

Default Re: Vibration nation

We all live in fear of the i-net typo!

No harm, no foul though... I thought it worked well to make the point about the heavy-vibes of the 883! lol!
jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 02:20 AM   #113
robb_millett
Registered Member

Default motorcycling websites, comments, mini reviews

let's see...the Cycle World site is ok, but it's all the paper magazine content, about 1 issue old.

Motorcycledaily.com is well...content thin...I think maybe one or two people write for it (Dirck Edge has almost every byline) and at that, (as I joked on the "Dear Moridians" responses) most days you'll get a post that's 3 -4 sentences that often merely comprise some rhetorical musings by Dirck himself.. they do provide some ride reviews and tests that have decent content...

Motor Cycle News (www.motorcyclenews.com online version of the brit rag umm, "Motor Cycle News") is actually very good, tons of content, detailed and well written...different perspective on the motorcycling scene...biggest disadvangtage is they sometimes write about bikes that arent avaialble here in the states. nice 'brolly girl" coverage though...heh!

Motorcycle City, (http://www.motorcyclecity.com/) Puh LEEEZE! these guys post factory press releases in their entirety, and call it journalism...lotsa content but, it's journalistic impartiality is even MORE suspect than that of American Motorcyclist.

Intruderalert.com (suzuki intruder website, hey I own one) OCCASIONALLY something worthwhile technically, if you wanna learn how to "uncork" a 1400 and really wake it up, it's the placve to go, but otherwise it's just as dopey and provicial as any of the HD specific sites...sorry, I had to include this one just to get in a dig, heh!

www. 2wf.com - this is a good, a little short on tests, but lots of race coverage, and the content is fairly detailed...nice "readers rides" section...

Choppers Rule! www.choppersrule.com

the name says it all! Unrepentantly entrenched in the HD aircooled V-twin (staunch V-rod dissers) but amusing in it's monomaniacal way, but the guy who writes it is pretty much a bike lover, will (and has) post pics and details about japanese choppers, as long as they fit his chopper definition ..

those are all the sites I read with any regularity...

MO has the most journalistic cred, really, I've been reading this site since '96, and in fact used to post on the old BBSs they had here then.
robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 02:27 AM   #114
robb_millett
Registered Member

Default Re: Shadow 750 vs 883R Reader Feedback

"Don't confuse Longride with facts, it just seems to make him angry. "

hmmm, I see what you mean. (looking below)
Old 08-29-2002, 02:35 AM   #115
robb_millett
Registered Member

Default Re: Vibration nation

well I'll tell ya, the advantage of having ridden an 883 sporty is that I actually think my 1400 intruder is smooooth
Old 08-29-2002, 02:37 AM   #116
robb_millett
Registered Member

Default Re: Uh-Oh!.....

or, even better

"Why don't cha buy a REAL cheeseburger!"
Old 08-29-2002, 03:30 AM   #117
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

Nice one! comparing buying a 79cent cheeseburger to buying a $16000 motorcycle.

Even with the best marketing campaign in the universe I would hope that the average American consumer pays a lot more attention when dropping several thousand dollars versus say, pocket change. If HD's where as completely useless as these threads imply, you'd think word would have trickled down to the great unwashed by now and Harleys sales would have gone into freefall.

Face it, not everyone wants a bike that does 200mph and corners like it's on rails. For the most part motorcycles are purchases of leisure and really there is no such thing as a "practical" bike (yeah, I know people use 'em for daily transportation...me included, but think how practical they become in inclement weather)

Back to my original point, I don't know why the mere mention of a HD in a MO comparo brings out all the HD bashers in droves. I say if you don't like 'em don't buy one, but don't sit there behind your nice anonymous keyboards writing B.S. about what pieces of crap they are and how the owners are all mindless yuppie wannabes. Just accept them for what the are, an expensive niche motorcycle, just as say 998's or Mille's are.
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 04:12 AM   #118
v4bryan
Registered Member

Default Ah yes, v4 cruisers...

Hmmmm, the good old days.

Am I the only one who remembers that the Honda Magnas, Suzuki Maduras, and eventually the V-Maxes (sp?) pretty much owned the road in the 80's (Honda's V65 in '83, the Yammie in '85)? These were/are comfortable all-purpose bikes that you could actually make scoot right along at triple digits, and capable of sub 11 second quarter mile times.

True, the gas tank on the V45 went dry at about 125 miles, but I get 175 miles out of a tank on the V65, and I'm sure the VMax is at least that good (I KNOW the Madura 1200 didn't have long legs-maybe 140 miles/tank?).

Perhaps best of all, you could put your feet up on the highway pegs and sit in a recliner if you wanted, or you could slide up towards the gas tank (over the foot rests), and really weight the pegs going through the corners...something that's almost impossible to do with forward controls, floorboards, and/or drag bars.
v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 04:23 AM   #119
v4bryan
Registered Member

"If you have to ask why I eat cheeseburgers, well, you'll never understand"

or

"I'd rather puke up my American Cheeseburger than eat that sushi crap"

v4bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 04:31 AM   #120
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Shadow 750 vs 883R Reader Feedback

"Don't confuse Longride with facts, it just seems to make him angry. "

hmmm, I see what you mean. (looking below)

Well as soon as you and Slowbear can actually state ONE fact, let me know. In the meantime I'll keep calling a bullshyt on your "enhanced version" of reality.