Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-28-2002, 09:57 AM   #91
itchface
Founding Member

Default Re: Shadow 750 vs 883R Reader Feedback

Actually, in re-reading my own initial post I discovered that I never used the word 'engineer' in anything other than its verb-transitive form, therefore I rescind my apology.
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-28-2002, 10:10 AM   #92
itchface
Founding Member

Default Re: Uh-Oh!.....

No one forced anyone into buying or eating any cheeseburger, either.

However, just because McDonald's sells more cheeseburgers than anyone in the world doesn't mean that their burgers are superior and therefore beyond reproach. In fact, nothing could be further from the truth (I find them quite disgusting and upchuck inducing).

McDonald's success stems from their effective marketing campaigns, their low costs, their convenience, et al.

Using your apparent logic, it would be an "asinine musing" for me to point out that McDonald's cheeseburger purchasers are exercising poor judgment.

Do I understand you correctly?

Old 08-28-2002, 10:12 AM   #93
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Your off the beam here RH. In your idealistic world Chevy or Dodge dealers wouldn’t be allowed to set their own price on Corvettes and Vipers. Paul has it right. H-D will continue to send bikes to that thief in Pittsburgh as long as the bikes are moving. The control comes from the buyers.

Harley dealers get bikes if they sell bikes. When buyers refuse to bend over for these crooks those same money grubbing dealers will be forced by the market to drop their prices to at or below MSRP or else they will get fewer new bikes for the next year.

I paid MSRP for both big bikes my Wife and I have (me - '00 FLHRI, she - '02 FLTRI). They were purchased new from Forman's H-D in Stillwater, OK. As of last weekend they had a '03 FXST on the floor with 100th anniversary badging and factory security system for $13,910. Other '03 bikes were a XL1200C and a VRSCA. Not sure about the prices on them. They don't interest me but I would bet they are priced at whatever MSRP is for those models.

If I had not found Forman's I would still be riding my Valk and Betty would still be on her V-Star 1100. I would still be complaining about the crappy gas mileage, heavy front-end and number of speeding tickets while she would still be going on about lack of ground clearance and cold weather protection.

One thing for sure is we would still be riding.

Cheers.
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 11:09 AM   #94
12er
Founding Member

Ive been dreaming of a salvaged triumph triple slapped into a chopper frame. Nice nasty sound and plenty of oomph.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 11:17 AM   #95
SlowBear
Founding Member

Rob,

Don't confuse Longride with facts, it just seems to make him angry. In his world you can improve a pushrod, two-valve-per-cylinder air cooled head to make as much power as a modern engine. The fact that the big "improvement" in the XR 750 was the AMA taking away the Honda's power advantage doesn't fit his world view so it makes him angry.

I mean, jeez, I gave the URL and the specific rule that shows that only two engines (XR 750 and RS 750) are in the class and the restrictor, carburetor and intake manifold sizes but I guess it is easier to make ignorant statements than to look up the rules before you post.

I find his comment about Honda "quitting" pretty funny, I guess if he was had a winning baseball team and the rules making body said his best hitter had to use a toy bat he would keep playing. The other part I think is funny is that he gives Harley the credit for the whole bike, the fact is HD (and Honda) just makes the engines. The frame, suspension, etc. are all supplied by others. Also, my understanding is the XR 750 engine, as delivered, is pretty much junk. The tuners say it is delivered assembled for "convenient shipping" just before they strip it to the crankshaft so they can blueprint it and put it together correctly. I can't substantiate that last bit, it is just what I have been told. The closest I've been to a winning miler was to help a friend make pipes for Ricky Graham's bike more than twenty years ago.

Slowbear
SlowBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 11:33 AM   #96
Paul_Grimmett
Founding Member

I will go on record right now as stating: McDonald's hambuger purchases are, in the long run, NOT a wise health decision.

Flame away....
Paul_Grimmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 12:19 PM   #97
itchface
Founding Member

To paraphrase an oft used Harley-lover's proverb:

You're just suffering from Big Mac envy!
Old 08-28-2002, 12:39 PM   #98
Shari
Founding Member

Just curious--from your moniker I assume you're female. I am, & am wondering if female riders run into the problem of m/c dealers ignoring solo women in their stores. Amazingly, most of the dealers here in Omaha (that's about 4 of 5 m/c dealers) are usually quite helpful when I go in solo. Only one wasn't, and I don't go there anymore because of it.
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 01:04 PM   #99
Shari
Founding Member

Just curious--from your moniker I assume you're female. I am, & am wondering if female riders run into the problem of m/c dealers ignoring solo women in their stores. Amazingly, most of the dealers here in Omaha (that's about 4 of 5 m/c dealers) are usually quite helpful when I go in solo. Only one wasn't, and I don't go there anymore because of it.
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 03:50 PM   #100
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I bought my 1996 Low Rider for MSRP in San Diego and my forthcoming 2003 Electra Glide Ultra Classic for MSRP as well.

One just must ingnore dealers that gouge. Hopefully Harley will make enough bikes this year that dealers will actually have to compete!

buzz
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote