Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-23-2002, 03:23 PM   #1
Grappelli
Registered Member

Default Re: KBC Helmet Reader Feedback

Ok, the Signet doesn't fit XL heads. Is it the same shape as a Quantum F?

Nice paintwork.. quite fancy a new lid..
Grappelli is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2002, 03:49 PM   #2
Gillmartin
Registered Member

Default Conflicting messages...

So, 'cause it's got good visibility, it's good for going fast in a tuck, just don't lift your head 'cause the shield will open?

I wonder if the rube in the video store would have commented on the bucket if you had the aforementioned duct tape on it...

For those reading: a cheap helmet is cheap because it's... cheap. You get what you pay for, if it looks too good to be true it probably is, caveat emptor, you get the point.
Gillmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 03:50 PM   #3
kwayne_406
Founding Member

I wear a VR-1, although its a different liner, I love it, it fits a little tight...but i guess at sub-100mph speeds, thats a helluva lot better than loose.
kwayne_406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 04:06 PM   #4
alanheng
Founding Member

Default Re: Conflicting messages...

But if it's DOT and SNELL approved it will most likely protect your brain matter in the event of a crash.

The difference in buying an SV versus an R1 is that the R1 has more power, has better suspension, and will increase your **** size. Both bikes will still get you from point A to B, though.

I like my *cheap* HJC AC-10 and it's done it's job in a crash.
alanheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 04:12 PM   #5
oldsquid
Founding Member

recently purchased a kbc for trackdays and have to admit i am not that impressed with it. the wind noise and buffetting is absolutely unbelievable. the comment , " you get what you pay for ", is undeniably the truth. i cannot wear the helmet without wrap around sunglasses on as it dries my eyes out!
oldsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 04:31 PM   #6
johnnyb
Founding Member

Um, did you try a little piece of duct tape to keep it closed? Duct tape is relatively inexpensive. (An I forgot to say, mine's nice and quiet on the freeway, with earplugs.)
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 04:38 PM   #7
Gillmartin
Registered Member

Default Re: Conflicting messages...

Agreed on the protection thing, I wasn't trying to imply the helmet was substandard.

And you just proved my point in your SV/R1 comparison, you get what you pay for. If you just want transportation, or just want basic protection, then pay for that. I guess my point is that JB was trying(I could be wrong here) to imply that the more expensive helmet may not be worth the money, if you can get all the same features is a cheaper one. If for less money I have to put up with flimsy/self-opening shields, it's no bargain.

BTW, I hope your get-off wasn't serious.
Gillmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 07:57 PM   #8
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Cheap is not always bad, give em time

Although I would tend to agree with you on you get what you pay for. When comes to Korean stuff I tend to give it a try especially if it is a second or third generation stuff. Right out of the gate the Korean stuff is a little iffy. Remember all those early Hyundais. Koreans are hard working and intelligent i.e. give em time they will challenge the Japanese and Italians and those weird Nolan things.. Also the dollar buys a lot of Korean stuff still. But when it comes to my head, I like the best I can get right now I have a Shoei 800 but will get something better soon probably a top end Shoei. But here in Seattle, where antifog is the big thing, to get a helmet that actually did everthing I wanted i.e. didn't fog, warm, had earphones built in etc, I would have to build my own or have one built for me.
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 08:16 PM   #9
dardas
Founding Member

I bought one of those as a back-up when I was living in Korea a few years back. Cost me all of $10

It was a pretty sturdy - if a little drab - helmet back then then, and I'm sure the quality has only improved. Unfortunately, they've also upgraded the price for the US market. Must be a tidy profit margin.
dardas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 12:06 AM   #10
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Re: Cheap is not always bad, give em time

KPaul,

Being a Seattleite, I highly recommend the Arai Quantum series, or for the big bucks, the rx-7rr4 series. The eyebrow vents are perfect for keeping you cool and fog-free. I had a Shoei RF800, and thought it was the dogs balls, until I bought this one. The Arai is a great lid, it's pricey, but I've never regretted it. Bonuses include: you can pull and wash the liner, there are 7 vents, compared to the Shoei's, and there are pockets built into the cheek pads (which are available in different sizes) where you can drop in your headphones. In all honesty, it is the most comfortable helmet I've ever put on. I also think, having seen how my Shoei chipped when dropped accidentaly from 2 feet, and seeing an Arai that survived a wreck, that the Arai is made of much, much better stuff than the Shoei.

The shield removal is quirkier, but not difficult. My only complaint is that the tinted (gold) screen for the Arai chipped all to hell after having some bug guts cleaned off of it. I wasn't pleased. I just wear my Maui Jim's underneath now.

OK, who has tried the Bose noise cancelling headphones? Why the hell doesn't some helmet manufacturer go in with Bose and make these for your lid? You can cancell noise, and listen to music. They're INCREDIBLE!!! I'd plop down an extra $200-300 for such a combination in a heartbeat. You only get one set of eardrums.

luvmyvfr

luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote