Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-26-2002, 08:42 AM   #31
cpabiker_2
Founding Member

Default Re: KBC Helmet "Spoon mod"??

Can someone elaborate on this? Is this to relieve forehead pressure or pad excess space? If the former, how does one do it?
cpabiker_2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2002, 09:37 AM   #32
lant5
Founding Member

Default Re: Cheap is not always bad, give em time

It's not the flip up type. It's Nolan's entry into the race/sportbike arena. I have gotten comments about it's weird shape and unusal flush mount visor.
lant5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 09:50 AM   #33
lant5
Founding Member

Default Re: Cheap is not always bad, give em time

My other helmet is an Arai Signet GT and I find the basic shape and sizing about the same as the X-Lite. I do not get a good fit with the Arai Quantum based helmets. The shape is wrong for me and would have to say that the X-Lite is shaped like a Signet. I really have not looked into putting speakers into the X-Lite or any other helmet.
lant5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 10:31 AM   #34
retrorider
Founding Member

Default Re: Conflicting messages...

Ah, spoken like a guy who just paid $400 for an Arai or Schuberth (sp). I bought a VR1 this summer and love the thing. Most comfortable helmet I've ever worn and the visor works just fine on my DL1000 thank you very much. And yes, even in "old man" white, it gets plenty of comments due to its very trick shape.
retrorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 10:33 AM   #35
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Why some of us would like music?

I agree with you that " intake noises, followed by exhaust and gear whine. " is the best music. However, some us have comutes where once we get on the freeway we shift into 6th hit the HOV lane and 17 miles latter where at work. An Iron eagle sound track would better than the drone of 5000 rpm. So thanks for the David Clark suggestion.

KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 07:24 AM   #36
Bikeaddict
Founding Member

Default Re: KBC Helmet Reader Feedback

I bought the VR-1 Wolf in Black Chrome. It looks great, is both Snell 2000 and DOT approved. I knew it would be noisy because of the vents but I wear ear plugs anyway. The vision is a bit more restricted than a Shoei RF900 but the fit is as good for me and much better than the AGV. I like the Shoei's a bit better but not $100 better. Hopefully the visor thing will not be an issue. Sure you can spend more and you can get a nicer helmet but you're not getting more protection and if you ride alot, you're going to have to replace it anyway so why spend twice the money (my limit is about 3years). Would you rather have a $450 4year very used Aria on your head or a new SNELL/DOT helmet? Styrofoam offgases, shells take damage from small drops and UV, chin straps wear. Gimme me the new cheaper fully qualified bucket!
Bikeaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 07:59 AM   #37
Le_Racer
Founding Member

Default Noise level?

Salut!

What about the noise?

It's about the hardest thing to judge when buying a helmet: you won't know until you hit the road with your new purchase.

Anyway to do measure the noise in actual riding?

It be interesting to see numbers on different brand of helmets on different kind of bikes.

I've got a Arai RX7RR4, for racing it's perfect. I'm an ice racer and the venting is great to keep fogging to a minimum in the winter.

For road riding it's excessively noisy, ear plugs are a must.

By comparison my old Quantum is dead quiet.

I've bought a HJC Crevier replica for my girlfriend. Nice graphics, nice interior, low price.

She say that it's very quiet, but after 1 month of use, the sheild mechanism need adjusting every couples of rides.

Ciao!
Le_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 11:00 PM   #38
painter_1
Founding Member

Ah, spoken like a guy who hasn't worn an arai. I saw my friend crash at Pacific Raceway [Seattle], at 150 mph, I was hehind him at the time, He was wearing an Arai rx7. The thing looked like crap, most of the paint was gone on the side and the back had a 4 inch spiderweb crack, and the visor parted company. he was knocked out for a couple of minutes, but he was uninjured, accept for brusing and a few abrasions {Joe Rocket highside leathers and gloves} I just don't want to take a chance on a cheaper lid.
painter_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2002, 11:03 PM   #39
painter_1
Founding Member

Ah, spoken like a guy who hasn't worn an arai. I saw my friend crash at Pacific Raceway [Seattle], at 150 mph, I was hehind him at the time, He was wearing an Arai rx7. The thing looked like crap, most of the paint was gone on the side and the back had a 4 inch spiderweb crack, and the visor parted company. he was knocked out for a couple of minutes, but he was uninjured, accept for brusing and a few abrasions {Joe Rocket highside leathers and gloves} I just don't want to take a chance on a cheaper lid.
painter_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 03:27 AM   #40
retrorider
Founding Member

Ah, spoken like someone who doesn't have a clue. SNELL is SNELL my friend. The VR-1 will protect a brain just as good as an expensive Arai. FWIW, I have owned a Signet and a Dual Sport; both made by Arai.
retrorider is offline   Reply With Quote