Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-25-2002, 05:19 AM   #21
D2pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: KBC Helmet Reader Feedback

I purchased one of these helmets earlier this year. Its a nice looking helmet with a couple of faults. As noted in the article, the shield will lift when you turn your head to check traffic. I find this to be a PIA. On my helmet, the tab used to secure the "excess" strap broke off after two months.

Compared to my Arai Signet, the KBC looks cheap. But then again, the KBC is about half the price of the Arai.
D2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2002, 05:57 PM   #22
jmp66
Founding Member

I bought the VR-1 as a 2nd helmet, usually wear a shoei RF800. Its not as quiet as the shoei, but neither are arai. It's comfortable enough but and the ventilation is fine-prefer it to the shoei in really hot humid weather plus it doesn't fog up. It hasn't opened up at high speed either but the mechanism does feel a little vague. The finish is pretty good, and it definitely feels like it has a lot of EPS, especially in the chinbar which is massive so it's probably pretty safe. But something about the shoei does feel a little more high end.
jmp66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 06:31 PM   #23
lant5
Founding Member

Default Re: Cheap is not always bad, give em time

If by 'weird Nolan things' you are refering to the x-lite helmets then I can offer an opinion. I have a x-lite 901 and it offers a few things that I have never had with an Arai or Shoei. The x-lite is quiter and amazingly buffet free. The unique shape and visor system really does work well. Fit and finish is not up to the top Arai or Shoei level but seems better than the Suomy helmets. About half the price of the top lids.
lant5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 05:43 AM   #24
veronaisland
Registered Member

I bought mine this spring; my first helmet since getting back into riding. I bought it because it was comfortable, had a Snell rating and looked good. You are right about the eyeballs: There seems to be a stream of air that comes up under the chin bar and goes straight into my left eye. Other than that, a great helmet and (I hope) a great buy.
veronaisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 06:24 AM   #25
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Sony Noise Cancelling Headphones...

I have a set of the Sony versions of the same thing.

The real nice part is they cancel repetitive noises (EG, jet engines, computer fans, I'd imagine a lot of wind noises), but NOT impulse noises. So with them on, you can still hear speech, it just ends up being slightly distorted. Very nice.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 07:11 AM   #26
jamesohoh7
Founding Member

He's probably referring to the flip-top helmets that Nolan (and a few others) make. If the x-lite is one of those, then that's it. I'm not familiar with Nolan's line and naming systems.

I've liked the concept of those flip-ups, but haven't known anyone that had one. If your x-lite is one of these, how does it work in the rain? That's been my concern, if it'd leak.

-James

jamesohoh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 08:48 AM   #27
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Can you still hear sirens, horns, etc ?

By far my favorite riding music, is intake noises, followed by exhaust and gear whine.

Every time I think of someone sport riding, while listening to music I think of that hokey as hell movie "Iron Eagle" where the teenage pilot wannabe steals an F-16 and flies it to the middle east, to rescue his downed fighter-pilot dad. He gets jumped by a couple of fake Migs and can't find his ass for a hole in the ground, until he remembers to pop his rock n roll tape into his walkman, then suddenly he's transformed into Bob Hoover. Puh...lease!

Active cancelling of noise on the other hand is emminently logical. Bose pioneered it with thier noise cancelling Intercom/Headset system for private pilots about 12 years ago. This gave David Clark (the quintessential general aviation headset maker) a heart attack and the war was on. We are all the better off for it. Prices and sizes have dropped, while performance has steadily improved. I'll bet there is even a set available on the aviation side, that consists of speaker inserts for flight helmets... hmmmm.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:50 AM   #28
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

It's not. The X-Lite is Nolan's racing/sportbike series of one piece, non-hinged full face helmets.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:04 AM   #29
Huss
Founding Member

Maybe this is asking much but... I have an Arai Signet shape head, do you know how the X-lite compares to this for fit? Also, does it have ear pockets that will accept speakers? Thanks!

Price-wise they are similar, I can get an X-lite for $300, an Arai Signet for $339.
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2002, 09:12 AM   #30
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Conflicting messages...

Jimi,

I currently have an Arai Signet S (fits my head the best), a top of the line Shoei X-SPII, and a KBC VR1 like the one in this article. There IS a large quality gap between the Arai / Shoei and the KBC. True, they are all good looking hard shell full faced helmets, with DOT and SNELL ratings, but the similarities end there. The KBC looks great sitting on the counter, but put it on and close the shield and you can feel the sloppy fit of the mechanism and the poor seal of the visor to the helmet (this is great for fog reduction, but SUCKS for wind noise) Once you start moving, the wind noise and buffeting are definitely harsher than the Arai and Shoei. I bought the KBC for $189 and got what I paid for. (The AGV Demon Top-Vent is in a similar price category, but with slightly worse fit and finish and even more wind noise) In my experience and in the general consensus of those I ride and race with, Arai and Shoei are worth every penny. Until I see strong evidence to the contrary, I won't be buying any more road helmets without one of those two names on them. However; In the off-road realm, I have discovered that the Malcom Smith Racing (MSR) "Superlight" helmet has good construction, light weight, low price and good looks, for considerably less than Arai or Shoei. Since there are no moving parts and since wind noise and buffeting are not big concerns off-road, I give the MSR "Superlight" motocross helmet two snaps up, in Z formation.