Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-24-2002, 02:37 AM   #11
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: Cheap is not always bad, give em time

what bose noise-cancelling headphones? sounds like you need to do a MO review then...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2002, 04:32 AM   #12
gfidelco
Founding Member

Default Re: KBC Helmet Reader Feedback

Bought a KBC TK7 ($110) because it is DOT and Snell approved, and cheap. But I live in Texas where in the summer you like to open the shield once in a while to cool off, like at stops. But after only 10 months, the shield pops open on its own at only 55 mph because the puny teeth on the shield and side covers are wearing down too fast.

I bought a new shield, but the side covers have been on back order for 6 weeks.

If the VR1 has the same design shortfall, and like me you don't like shields popping open, then you might actually save money in the long run by buying a helmet up front that has a better-designed mechanism that you can trust, even if it costs more.

If it fits right and looks good, etc....great. Just don't forget to check out the mechanism before you put your money down.
gfidelco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 04:46 AM   #13
buzzbob
Registered Member

I've had the VR-1 Euro for a month. I mainly commute to work or rip around. I had to do the spoon mod to the forhead, (Frankenstein's forehead comes to mind). So far in the 90+ degree days and high humidity the helmet has been very comfortable. I haven't noticed any problem with the shield lifting, if opened a smidge to assist defogging. (I haven't tried it above 80mph.

I've tried others Arai Signet fit well but to me was just as noisey(it was stolen). In fact any helmet with the overhead air ducts should make a load rushing sound. So if I am going to be above 55 for long I use ear plugs (with any helmet).
buzzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 06:06 AM   #14
luvmyvfr
Founding Member

Default Noise Cancelling Headphones

Check the Bose website for details on the Quiet Comfort Noise reduction headset. The link is : http://www.bose.com/noise_reduction/...al/qc_headset/

I tried them on in the store, they have a simulated airplane taxi/take off (quite loud) going on, then they have you put the headphones on and it cuts the noise dramatically. The first thing I told the sales representative was, "If they made these for my motorcycle helmet, I would buy them right now!" She agreed, it turns out she rides, with her husband, and that was the first thing she thought of when she first tried them on.

They potentially would cut the lound droning and bufetting at higher speeds, cancelling the noise by "use[ing] sophisticated electronics to actively monitor and counteract unwanted noise and reduce it before it reaches your ears. A microphone in each earcup "hears" sounds an instant before they reach your ears. Advanced electronics recognize what you want to hear – music, an inflight movie, or nothing at all – and compare it to the noise you don't want to hear. The Bose electronics then calculate and generate a signal opposite to the unwanted noise and reduce it, leaving you free to enjoy your favorite music or just peacefully relax."

Go to your local mall with a Bose store in it and try them out. You'll see what I mean.

Oh, and what were you doing up at 0437 on a Saturday morning, JB? You need your sleep if you want those razor sharp reflexes on track days. Use your fame and notoriety, and call up a helmet manufacturer or Bose and see if you can get them to make these for motorcyclists. I'd love you forever.

luvmyvfr
luvmyvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 06:54 AM   #15
Huss
Founding Member

Default Re: Noise Cancelling Headphones

I'd pay an extra $300/helmet in a heart beat if this stuff was provided. No more having to wear ear plugs, being able to hear your stereo (Goldwing et al), being able to hear your radar detector, being able to converse with others easily when stopped, having your hearing preserved etc etc. It seems really pathetic that there essentially have been zero advances in helmet technology. All we get are new paint jobs, new diffusers (which always add noise) and higher price tags. Nolan's new X-Lite helmet claims to have made advances in aerodynamics but I don't think I have read a comprehensive test of it, and more importantly, out of maybe a dozen dealerships that I have visited in the LA area, not one carries it so it is not possible to try one on for fit.

I have checked out the KBC, tried it on etc and while it is pretty it does not remotely come close to fit and comfort of any Arai, top line Shoei or AGV X-vent. I guess if $200 is all that one could afford, then ok, but maybe one should quit smoking and use the money saved...
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 07:52 AM   #16
fellswoop13
Founding Member

Default Can you still hear sirens, horns, etc ?

Noise attenuation without earplugs sounds nice, but I have to ask... if you have noise (ideally wind noise only) being cancelled, and you're listening to music, your radar detector is bleeping, etc, does this become a danger for loosing optimal situational awareness? Like driving while on the phone?

does anybody ride in city traffic listening to music?
fellswoop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 11:03 AM   #17
Huss
Founding Member

Default Re: Can you still hear sirens, horns, etc ?

Listening to music while riding or driving a car is a passive experience, whilst talking on a cell phone is an active one. This would make listening to music much less of a distraction than talking on the phone. If you want, try it for yourself the next time you are driving in your car and see if you agree (don't talk too long on the phone!).

I listen to the stereo all the time on my Goldwing, whether I am in the city or on the highway. If anything, it acts as a stress reliever in traffic and can help ease the experience. If this is a bad thing, then maybe we should ban stereo use in all vehicles...
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 04:22 PM   #18
KPaulCook
Banned

Default Thanks much

Yep my Shoei has some chips when some store clerk ran into me etc. I'll definitely give the Arai a try. Thanks much
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 08:04 PM   #19
akcarlson
Founding Member

I just bought a KBC VR-1 (non-Euro), for about $200, and I'm overall quite happy. It's a little noisier than my '97 AGV helmet (I don't even know the model name--I bought it on closeout from some catalog), but it's worlds more comfortable. The visor mechanism is quite good; I've never had any problems with the visor opening at speed. And while JB feels that the 'rubbery' action of the detents feels inaccurate, I think it has the high quality feel of a well-engineered switch in a german auto (think new VWs). I only wish for more venting, but I wouldn't pay 2x the price of the VR-1 for it. Great value, and a quality helmet aside from price.
akcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 01:41 AM   #20
Jimi_Dee
Founding Member

Default Re: Conflicting messages...

I see a lot of "name brand" in the inflated price of the high-end helmets, without a lot more quality. Sure they are good, but are they that much better than this helmet...I think not. I buy helmets that work and could care less about the bragging rights at the Hess station at Bike Week. My **** is big enough...
Jimi_Dee is offline   Reply With Quote