Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   2002 Naked Bike Shootout Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1354-2002-naked-bike-shootout-reader-feedback.html)

Gabe 08-21-2002 07:16 PM

It's Not What You Ride-It's Who You Know

Reading this article made something perfectly clear to me- who gives a rat's a$$ what kind of bike you're on, so long as you can ride on a race track? I'll take a day at the track on a clapped-out '82 Honda Ascot to a day of street riding on whatever overpriced exotica you can offer. And that's the truth!

These big standards offer a lot of value for not much money. I've seen new '02 FZ-1's for $8500 out the door in California, and the other bikes are even cheaper. Pretty nice deal when you consider a new R6 will set back the baggy-jeans and sideways-ballcap guys close to $10,500 out the door- and the 600 isn't as versitile or fun as a streetbike.

So consider a big standard if you must have but one bike. But if you want to do a lot of track riding...these bikes I think would be demanding and difficult to hone racetrack skills on. Wes Cooley-style sliding doesn't belong in a beginner's bag of tricks, and so much weight can be difficult to manage at the razor's edge.

Kind of ironic that the big-horsepower bike is better on the street and a slower, lighter bike is better at the track? But there you go.

Do some track days soon!

itchface 08-21-2002 08:57 PM

Re: 2002 Naked Bike Shootout Reader Feedback

Why, oh why, didn't Honda stick a 954RR (or hell, even a 929RR) engine in the 919? Were they too afraid that it would sell so well that they'd run out of them and then have to endure their dealer's whining about not getting a big enough allocation?

And why couldn't their brilliant engineers figure out a way to give this bike fully adjustable suspension while keeping the price at $8000?

I really, REALLY wanted to like this bike!

Please, American Honda, don't assume that when the 919 bombs in the U.S. that it's because Americans don't want sporty "standards." The real reason for it's anticipated failure to sell in sufficiently copious quantities is that the price-to-feature ratio is seriously off kilter.

Please work on getting this bike right (it wouldn't take much!) instead of leaving it unchanged year after year ensuring its slow, painful demise, as you are doing with the poor, undeserving VTR1000.

Grappelli 08-21-2002 09:16 PM

Does that mean with 14 points the speed triple won the comparo? Or have I got it upside down?

Z3Coupe 08-21-2002 10:47 PM

Nice job, guys!

It's late, I just got home, haven't fully read the article completely, just skimmed it... But this is great! You've restored my faith in MO and the world in general.

Only problem with this is that now we're gonna expect superb content like this more often! We know what you're capable of, MO, and we won't accept anything less!

(For those of you that are humor-impared, that last paragraph was not a threat nor disparaging words. It's good, old-fashioned humor. Or at least my attempt at such.)

scott_650 08-22-2002 01:46 AM

Where's the Bandit 1200? You guys test a group of bikes I'm actually considering but you leave out the big Suzuki. So close, so close.

Eric 08-22-2002 02:08 AM

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that was confused. JB's listed ranking of the Honda (1) made me do a doubletake -- so is it the biggest score that wins?

PrairieDog 08-22-2002 02:17 AM

Well it sure looks like y'all had a lot of fun doing this comparison. Thought ya' would.

John B is becoming more of my hero as time goes on. He is not afraid to say what is on his mind. Understands how to 'go out of the box' and still knows how to ride.

Kept reading all the comments on just how much power the ZRX has. I sure do believe it, I own one and think it's a great bike.

Thanks for a great job.

stormcloud 08-22-2002 02:35 AM

Nice article.

Yep, missed the Bandit but also the Superhawk - a much underrated machine.

In general, though, keep up the good work.

Tim_White 08-22-2002 02:37 AM

That was great. So when do you guys take this year's finest cruisers to Fontana? Hey, and after that you can tell us how all the new motocrossers work on the banking! Just leave the knobbies on; we want to keep this "real world" . . .

DJS 08-22-2002 02:40 AM

Superhawk is not naked. If naked is playboy, superhawk is Maxim.

David