Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-22-2002, 02:54 PM   #81
Flickmeister
Registered Member

Default Re: 2002 Naked Bike Shootout Reader Feedback

OK. you tested four street bikes on the track only. One bike wasn't available for evey tester to ride on one track and one rider rode a different bike on another track. Think I'm a bit confused. The article was disjointly entertaining, but didn't establish much as an effective comparison of which was the best bike, street or track. By the numbers, it looked like the Speed Triple won. But the players weren't even introduced. I had to look at the spec chart to see which Monster was on the carpet. Usually, before the games begin, we are introduced to the players. The only conclusion I could come to was that J.B. had a good time and decided to write about it.

I think we (the paying members) deserve more. So, how 'bout a sequel where the street bikes are evaluated in their natural habitant? While I'm glad Johnny had a good time, I feel you owe your paying audience considerably more. Put 'em on the street and give us the report we should have received in the first place.
Flickmeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2002, 03:09 PM   #82
merv
Founding Member

Default Re: Suspension

Just to add to this, please note the Britten does not have telelever forks but carbon fibre girder type forks. There are no sliding tubes like you have with a telelever set up. The Britten forks are more akin to racing car suspension but with the wheel in line with the forks and not mounted side on like you have with a normal double wishbone set up.

Merv from NZ the home of Britten.
merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 03:32 PM   #83
r_oneal
Founding Member

Default Re: Way to go MO!

Yes, where IS Minime???
r_oneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 03:33 PM   #84
Pone
Founding Member

My first out loud laugh of the day; good one. Thank you JB.

Pone
Pone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 03:46 PM   #85
rags23
Registered Member

Functionally (IMHO), nothing beats a chain on a motorcycle with any kind of sporting intent.

how about kevlar belts as seen on the Buell? A belt drive has less lash, and is maintenance free...
rags23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 04:09 PM   #86
oldtim
Founding Member

Default Re: Nice job, guys!

I was wondering the same thing, although it was a fine article. My guess is the big bandit would place last or next to last on the track (not that I know anything about the track) but much higher on the street. I have a 2000 1200 Bandit and I realy like it.
oldtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 04:14 PM   #87
itchface
Founding Member

Belts can get damaged way too easily (I've personally observed this), typically don't last any longer than a chain, and are a ROYAL pain in the rumpus to replace. They're quite expensive compared to a chain, as well.

A bike with a belt drive must either have a relatively skinny rear tire or an offset engine to accomodate the width of a belt, compromising handling.

A chain requires a bit more maintenance (easy to do), but is super reliable, simplifies re-gearing, and can easily handle big horsepower outputs.

Once again, I have to ask: If belt drives were so good, why don't race bikes have 'em? Or, for that matter, why doesn't ANY sportbike on the market besides the Buells have them?

No, I still cast my vote for a good, old-fashioned chain over anything else out there today.
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 04:23 PM   #88
jsven007
Founding Member

Default Re: Dosen't work if all the bikes aren't tested!!

[b]Center stand, what does that have to do with anything??
jsven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 04:23 PM   #89
itchface
Founding Member

Ah, yeah, sure... I knew that. I didn't mention that before 'cuz, ummm, I was in a hurry to, uhhhh, you know, do something urgently or something. You believe me, don't you?
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 04:33 PM   #90
jsven007
Founding Member

Well said. I agree with you on all those points. The article needs to be more structured and straightforward. The MO Fuzzy Logic is a bit…fuzzy.

If John B.’s article were submitted to a College Professor, it would get a C- or a C. Of course, this is not College But honestly, the article does not do an effective job of comparing the bikes.

jsven007 is offline   Reply With Quote