Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-22-2002, 11:21 AM   #61
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Where is the previous naked bike winner?

Care to elaborate? I don't know of any manufacturers that don't have at least one or two models with a fairing of some sort. even a manufacturer whose models are not strictly performance oriented sport bikes have a number of half faired and fully faired models, and versions of bikes that are advertised as having [ahem] " nimble handling for giant hairpin turns, with fully adjustable suspension and steeper fork angles" that could, I suppose, pass as nekkid bikes... this isn't meant as a slam, as I'd like to have one, in addition to my Bandito Grande`, I just can't think of an OEM that doesn't have some kind of fairing.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2002, 11:27 AM   #62
Tim_White
Founding Member

Default Re: Cut them some slack

Of course it would be fun to flog any of these bikes on the track, just as it would be a hoot to blast around on a knobbied CR250. But that's hardly the point, to my mind. The idea behind the story, I thought, was to evaluate and compare the bikes. The problem is that they are street bikes, not track bikes, so why would you conduct your entire evaluation on the track? Unless your whole point is to blow subscribers fees on fun (for who?) at the track and, hey, just throw 'em some "content" and they'll be happy with it.
Tim_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 11:28 AM   #63
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Suspension

In responce to your "Have you seen many race bikes sporting telelevers?" The Britten Co came out with a similar design theory and kicked a$$ till they were banned from racing. Too good I guess... Also MCN reported a cut away of the proposed BMW MotoGP bike sporting a Telelever. I cannot wait to see if that becomes a reality, though all the rumors are aluding to it. You are correct that at this point in time other than the boxer cup and a few dedicated riders Telelevers are very rare on the track. The future may tell a different tale.

http://www.britten.co.nz/
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 11:32 AM   #64
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: 2002 Naked Bike Shootout Reader Feedback

I ride a big naked Suzuki 1100G with a plexifairing II. It works better'n any racer-replica fairing when the temps drop into the 40's. And protects well during the thunderstorms we get along I-15.

Years ago I got cut off by a clown in his car while I was in a parking lot. I didn't hit him, but did lose my balance and fell over. The only damage to my old CB900C was a chip off the side of the plexistar, that I reglued, for a few cents. I'd hate to think what full bodywork would've cost.

Another time during a superhot day my ol 900 had its sidestand sink totally into the asphalt. Once again I picked up the bike with no apparent damage.

I just don't think fullfairings are worth the trouble. I've had too many friends who had to shell out too many bucks to fix them. All for the dubious benefit of streamlining that doesn't really matter at legal and moderately extra-legal speeds.

Hey, if people like racerreplica fairings, that's just great. Not for me though.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:34 AM   #65
gforces
Founding Member

HellOOOooooo, What about the Buell X-1? I thought we were in America and the Buell is an American bike, so you can't use that excuse of not being able to get one. I'm starting to lose my faith in you guys, c'mON! Use that big bobbing thing God put on your shoulders!
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 11:35 AM   #66
gforces
Founding Member

Default Re: Way to go MO!

homo
gforces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 11:35 AM   #67
Hair_Helmet
Founding Member

Default Re: Where is the previous naked bike winner?

Just took another look at the Buell line-up (just incase I was talkin out of the side my my head)...Firebolt, Lightning, and Blast.

Of all the Buells the Firebolt has the most plastic, and is comparable in terms of plastic on the Naked Bike Shootout to the Yamaha and Kawasaki.
Old 08-22-2002, 12:08 PM   #68
jsven007
Founding Member

I can understand why people are buying a Standard Bike. They offer alot of performance/features for the price. Certain riders, like myself, spend 90% of their time on the highway. Riding a GSXR-750 for hours on end would be tourture.

The 919, however, is a different story. It offers little performance and no features for the price. If the bike was priced, $6,900 ($1000 cheaper) I would understand the lack of features. I owned a 91' CBR1000 and it had horrible stock suspension. I will never again buy a bike without fully adjustable suspension. Honda needs to lower the price of the 919, period.

BTW: The 919 costs exactly the same as the Bandit 1200s in the UK. They both sell for around $9,300 US Dollars (converted currency). The ZRX 1200 sells for $9,900 US Dollars in the UK. Hum.....

jsven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 12:15 PM   #69
jsven007
Founding Member

I dont understand the scoring!!! Someone at MO please explain how the scoring was done.

Did hackfu even ride the motorcyles on the track? Where are his comments and track times?

How come the test riders didnt score the bikes?

Why is Will Tate, a Triumph guy, in the testing?? Put a Honda Rep. in the test, and see what he has to say. Does it get much more biased??
jsven007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 12:35 PM   #70
itchface
Founding Member

Default Re: Suspension

But why, then, did not ONE of the major manufacturers design in a telelever-like front suspension on their MotoGP bikes? They all had a clean slate to work with, and no real budget constraints.

I would expect BMW to feature telelever on THEIR racebike. The only reason they'd want to go racing is to sell more of their telelever equipped streetbikes. Telescopic forks on a BMW race bike would be tantamount to an admission that maybe their telelever isn't the greatest thing going in front suspension.

The Ducati Superbike machine HAD to run under-seat exhausts, despite their admitted inefficiencies, as it had become a Ducati 916 through 998 trademark of sorts. BMW is faced with the same kind of conundrum.

Regardless, if Britten, BMW, or anyone else DOES field a race bike with a telelever (that sure is a hard word to type fast for some reason!) type front-end, I'm positive that they'd engineer in some front-end dive in order to mimic the tele's.

I'm not saying that BMW's telelever is an overall bad idea. On a more touring oriented bike it makes a lot of sense. But I ultimately sold my R1100RS a few years back because I couldn't come to grips with the lack of front-end feedback I got when I was attempting to defend BMW's (not to mention my own) honor on Latigo Canyon Road.
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote