Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   2002 Naked Bike Shootout Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1354-2002-naked-bike-shootout-reader-feedback.html)

rags23 08-22-2002 07:31 AM

Re: 2002 Naked Bike Shootout Reader Feedback

and you guys missed the BMW r1150r -> isn't that a standard as well? If you include the zrx, why not the r1150r?

yeah! let's have another shootout, this time

with semi-naked bikes ;)

honda superhawk

aprilia falco

triumph sprint rs

yamaha Fz-1 -> 't's here that it belongs, not the nekkid turf...

-rags

EP 08-22-2002 07:50 AM

I'd like to see the BMW R1100S Boxer Cup in a comparo with these bikes.

Jay_Mack 08-22-2002 07:52 AM

Suspension

---No, really, the suspension is NOTICEABLY better verses a traditional front fork. I doesn't dive under braking or turns. The rear paralever eliminates the "shaft drive effect". No, I won't trust you on this.

---In Canada we write "alot" rather than "a lot" ( unless we're referring to a 'lot") because it conserves space.

---I forgot to mention. The BMW has shaft drive, which is a plus.

dwr461 08-22-2002 08:06 AM

I would too. But I really don't think that it is considered a naked bike, do you?

Take care,

Dave

mconlon 08-22-2002 08:07 AM

Wind/ rain protection provided by a fairing is always good... (unless, of course, ya'll only ride on the sunny days...)

Mike C

Rides his (unfaired) Monster in the rain, but knows that a fairing is not evil

SlowBear 08-22-2002 08:16 AM

Itchy,

Thank you for showing that it is possible to not be a chauvinist about the brand you ride. I've owned a fair number of beemers and agree with your points 2 through 4. I'm not quite sure about 1 and 5. ;-)

Two comments:

2. The only area BMWs are markedly better than Japanese bikes is the life of the transmission. Could this be because the Japanese can't get it thought their heads that gear box should have gear oil and not engine oil? I understand a common oil supply for sport bikes (lighter) or economy bikes (cheaper) but why in the Goldwing? Back to BMWs, the new ones aren't even easier to work on. How does over four hours to R and R the air filter on K1200 sound? On a clunky old air head an air filter change takes closer to four minutes. How about splitting the cases to replace one (of three!) chains in the cam drive of the R259s? The single cam chain in an air head can be done in a few hours with the engine in the frame. Overall the K and R259 bikes are better than the air heads but ease of maintenance is no longer a selling point for BMWs.

3. Forget the technical explanation, ask anybody who upgraded to Fox or Ohlins shocks. The front shock on most (all?) the current BMWs is so low end it can't even rebuild, it is welded shut!

The bottom line is that the Roadster is a great bike but it had no place in this group. BMWs are, in general, good bikes. But no one is served by building a myth around them. They are interesting bikes that provide a valid alternative to the Japanese, Italian and American manufacturers, no more and no less.

SlowBear

zelatore 08-22-2002 08:20 AM

---Does MO really think that even a two second differrence in quarter mile times is significant in riding a street bike? It isn't. Has MO ever SEEN what a rider and a motorcycle has to go through to generate those times? You lose the whole thing off the line if you don't trash your clutch and tires. (There's otherwise no difference between 10 and 130 mph. i.e."street".) You can do it once or twice on the street and then it's over and you have to live with all the compromises you've made.

Well, I for one think a 2 second dif. in the 1/4 is HUGE. Granted, I don't make many drag race starts, but assuming that each bike tested for it's acceleration was launched in the same manner, then the differences are still valid. Comparing these numbers then gives me an idea of the realitive acceleration of each bike. If one turned in a 2 sec. slower 1/4, I'd have to see a heck of a lot of 'spaining to not think it a relative pooch. Drag race start or not.

Steven_Verschoor 08-22-2002 08:41 AM

I would love to see this comparo.

itchface 08-22-2002 08:55 AM

Re: Suspension

You won't just trust me on the suspension issue? Fine! I'll elaborate on it then. But remember; if my ant problem grows so big that they're marching off with my furniture, I'm holding YOU personally responsible!

A controlled amount of dive is a good thing. The steeper steering angles that result from braking make turning your bike into a corner easier. It also helps load your front tire more so you get better feedback and less tendency to understeer. Have you seen many race bikes sporting telelevers? Neither have I.

The quality of the dampers BMW fits on their oilhead bikes is unbefitting of such an expensive machine, too. Just ask anyone who's installed Fox or Ohlins shocks if they've noticed a huge difference or not. My experience is that these folks never have buyer's remorse over their suspension purchase, even though it's insanely expensive!

The paralever reduces (but does not eliminate as BMW claims) shaft drive torque effect. But at what cost? It's quite heavy, adversely affecting the critical sprung-to-unsprung weight ratio. This results in reduced traction in bumpy turns and a deader (are there degrees of dead?) feel of the back tire's feedback. More u-joints means more maintenance down the road, too. Functionally (IMHO), nothing beats a chain on a motorcycle with any kind of sporting intent.

So, in Canada you say "alot" instead of "a lot" to conserve space? You people are an odd bunch, eh? A-boat as strange as they come, I say.

itchface 08-22-2002 09:00 AM

My favorite feature about fairings is that they usually make bikes much easier to clean. I'd rather wipe off a flat piece of plastic than to remove gunk from engines and exhaust collecters. If nothing else, they hide the grime within so passersby can admire my shiney bike.