Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-22-2002, 06:26 AM   #31
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Naked Bike Shootout Reader Feedback

You can get a Bandit w/out the fairing for a few hundredes than the S model as I'm sure you know.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2002, 06:36 AM   #32
sarnali
Founding Member

Right about that!! My 01 1200s w/ black holeshot street can and no airbox snorkle hauls my [fat] ass around plenty fast, a little more air/ exhaust flow through that motor really wakes it up, in fact for under $ 500 bucks you can get one up to 120 horses or so, all bolt on, no muss, no fuss. just lock-n-load.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 06:59 AM   #33
dwr461
Founding Member

Jay,

Dude, I'm a BMWphile and I'm glad the R1150R didn't get included. On the track, it would have gotten it's lunch eaten, had sand kicked in it's face, and had it's shorts pulled down while on the monkey bars. That bike is not designed for track use. It's designed for everyday street use. I would be interested how the R1100S would have faired, but then its not really naked is it? Switch to decaf man, it'll be OK if mine and yours favorite brand isn't tested in every shoot out.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 07:03 AM   #34
bandito1200
Founding Member

No doubt, the B12 is the best bang for the buck. TONS of aftermarket parts available....

I think it's time for a rematch

MJB
bandito1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 07:19 AM   #35
markszrz
Founding Member

Yes I know but would opt for the faired version. Still a big difference between the two engines. Compared to my 750, the bandit felt amazingly quick but compared to the ZRX/FZ-1 it's not. Throw in the brakes (or lack of) and the ZRX is a step a head of the Suzuki. At least in my book.
markszrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 07:20 AM   #36
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: What are they like as Street Bikes?

Did you read the article before posting? Well since there were numerous references pointing to the soon to come street portion.

The track times really tell you what a bike can do. Something I want to know when it comes to accident avoidance. Which one can you throw on its side, then toss on its other side to miss that on coming left turner.

As with your post and many others it seems everyone assumes MO has the staff and clout of a company like IBM. Thousands of people to choose size and height ranges from, and all the Manufacturers saying "Here take our entire line for a year". Then having the entire year to ride each bike.

Im sorry if I come off attacking you personally, thats not my intent. Just after reading every article on MO I see the same thing every time. B1tching and moaning and missing the obvious that is written in plain english.

Ok I'll quit my b1tching and moaning now, anyone got a tissue to dry my eye?
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 07:43 AM   #37
TheFox
Founding Member

Now THAT is funny. =)

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 07:49 AM   #38
seruzawa
The Toad

If you bothered to check the Bike Reviews page on MO you'll find a recent and very nice write-up on the R1150R. D'ya think that the companies pony up a test bike anytime that MO asks for one?
Old 08-22-2002, 08:21 AM   #39
dbb
Registered Member

As someone who has a R1100R and whose wife just purchased a 919, I have to agree with everyone else. The Roadster is my favorite all around bike (also have a VFR and and FXDX), but after taking the 919 for my first long spin, it put a bigger smile on my face than the Roadster ever has. I have taken the Roadster to two track days. Had a blast. But riding the Roadster on the track is why I bought the VFR. The Roadster is not a street and track bike in the same league as the others. Too heavy and too little horsepower. As an all-rounder, the Beemer is hard to beat. But is does all lot of things well, it just isn't competive with the other bikes in the test. But that's ok. I wouldn't head off crosscountry on any of the other bikes but I wouldn't hesitate to do that on the Roadster.
dbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 08:28 AM   #40
itchface
Founding Member

I'd like to point out a few mistakes you've made in your post so that I can feel smug and superior for a few minutes (ahh, life's little pleasures).

1. Rather than "alot," you should try "a lot" in future posts. Much more becoming of a BMW rider.

2. I've owned many beemers over the years, as well as tons of everything else. I have not found that BMW's are necessarily more durable than the Japanese bikes. They may be easier to work on when components wear out, though. I think it's like the guy who says he's got the ax George Washington used to cut down the cherry tree (was it a cherry tree?). Sure the blade's been replaced 11 times and the handle 8 times, but it's the original ax! And it still works good as new. "They just don't build 'em like they used to!" he exclaims.

3. Vastly superior suspension? This just isn't so. I could write a lengthy explanation as to why this is, but I've just noticed about a billion ants crawling around last night's microwave-burrito wrapper, and must attend to this soon. Can you just trust me on the suspension thing?

4. ABS, heated grips, and system luggage add VERY significantly to the $9,990 MSRP, making it around $14,000 roughly.

5. What the hell do ants want with a microwave-burrito wrapper anyway? Any entomologists out there who could clue me in?
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote