Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-22-2002, 05:30 AM   #21
Randy_P_Moran
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Naked Bike Shootout Reader Feedback

Hey! What about the SV? If you let that stupid Monster in then ya gotta let an SV in there!

I'm only joshing you guys. Good job on the comparo.
Randy_P_Moran is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2002, 05:36 AM   #22
afm722
Founding Member

Give me a $1000 and a naked Suzuki Bandit 1200 ($6,999) and it would wasted anything in this shootout....motor only or motor and suspension.

C'mon motorcycle.com! Yes, I own a B12s...
afm722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 05:49 AM   #23
markszrz
Founding Member

Although a little biased - I own a ZRX1200. A lot of the magazines (here and Europe) have done comparisons between what most people call "naked" or "standard" motorcyles. The Suzuki now tends to get tossed in to the "touring" field when compared to the ZRX and FZ-1. As I reside in CA., I was not able to own (or ride) a ZRX until last year. I was the owner of a NightHawk 750 and spent a couple of test rides on the bandit 1200. Not having ridden anything larger than my NightHawk, I was amazed at the Bandit's engine but disliked the brakes - felt almost wooden or cheap? Anyway after trying out the ZRX, I would classify it as much more of a hot rod - "Cobra" comes to mind and the Bandit as a more civilized sports tourer. Kind of what Honda should have done with my NightHawk.
markszrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 05:50 AM   #24
TitaniumCanoe
Founding Member

Where Honda really missed the boat was in not using the Superhawk (VTR 1000) as the basis for their nekked bike -- V-twin power delivery, good sounds, and Honda reliability. That would be an interesting bike.
TitaniumCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 05:52 AM   #25
Jay_Mack
Founding Member

---Worthless article. The R1150R is left out and that's the best one!

---To paraphrase a previous post, who gives a rat's ass how much horsepower a bike has unless you can use it at the track. I can do ANYTHING on the street that these bikes can do by using the FULL RANGE of power available on the R1150R, plus, have alot more fun because it's alot more fun bike. I can come out of the corner full on. It's a Twin! Feel the pulse! You have to own one (or the R1100R. I have a Hayabusa that I traded my R1 for and a million others. None is as fun as the Roadster) to understand.

---Does MO really think that even a two second differrence in quarter mile times is significant in riding a street bike? It isn't. Has MO ever SEEN what a rider and a motorcycle has to go through to generate those times? You lose the whole thing off the line if you don't trash your clutch and tires. (There's otherwise no difference between 10 and 130 mph. i.e."street".) You can do it once or twice on the street and then it's over and you have to live with all the compromises you've made.

---The R1150R will not only last 150,000mi or more, it has such a vastly superior suspension to any of these bikes, that they are obsolete, and a (heavy duty) six speed transmission.

---ABS, heated grips, removable system luggage (they're available, easy). Still, it's only $9,900, for Danielle's sake!

---Why do you pretend the Roadster doesn't exist? Have you ever actually RIDDEN a motorcycle?
Jay_Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 05:53 AM   #26
A_Nominal_Squid
Founding Member

I'll have you know, my 2001 Honda CR250 does just dandy on the banking at Pocono Never mind that I'm being passed like I'm in reverse...it's fun!
A_Nominal_Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 06:05 AM   #27
ChuckH
Founding Member

Though you said quite a bit about the Yamaha, the Kawasaki, the Triumph, & the Honda, you left out any comment except the chart, for the Ducati. How come?
ChuckH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 06:05 AM   #28
johnnyb
Founding Member

Jay, listen: there's no shame in having a smaller penis.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 06:11 AM   #29
NastyBeans
Founding Member

Default What are they like as Street Bikes?

Glad to see a comparison test and one of a group of my favorite type of bike. I know for me and I would guess the majority of MO readers, it would be much more useful to know how these same bikes compare when used how most buyers will use them - on the street. And over a period of time longer than a day or two.

Let us know what they are like to live with. How they handle commuting, Sunday rides and weekend road trips. Have tall people and short people and those in between ride them and let us know who their ergonomics are best suited for. In my mind testing should be biased 90% toward street use and 10% track. Lap times don't have anything to do with my decision on which bike to buy.

In the MO staffers defense I can see how track comparisons would be more fun than street duty but aren't you guys here to provide the kind of information your readership is looking for?

Thanks for the article and keep the comparison tests coming.
NastyBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 06:19 AM   #30
sarnali
Founding Member

I think the logic in useing an inline four was that Suzuki uses the last year air/oil cooled GSXR engine, and Yamaha uses their YZF-R1 engine, so Honda wanted to say they had a sportbike for the real world too, The 954 engine and decent suspension would have put them in a lot better position, IMHO though. I can't help noticeing you didn't throw a new 1200S bandit in the mix, I guess you realized the Bandit would spank those other bikes like a bald headed mouse, The speed triple might give it a run though,as for the rest, it's tail light city,yo
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote