Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-22-2002, 03:48 AM   #11
DJS
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Naked Bike Shootout Reader Feedback

I think a lot of people missed the point with this bike. Of course you could say that Honda missed its market since nobody gets what they were trying to do. Look at the torque curve of this bike, especially in the low RPM's. It actually has MORE torque down low where most people can use it than the 954. It's only a tenth of a second but a well known print magazine was able to get 0-60 times a hair faster on the 919 than the 954. Granted from there on the 954 smoked it.

This bike is about urban warfare. It is not a track warrior. What really ticks me off about this bike is not the power output but the suspension. Honda was so close to making a twisty monster with light weight, great low end torque, and ergos that make you feel like you're sitting on a 600. But then they cheaped out with crap suspension.

I'll still probably buy the 919 after they announce the 2003 models because suspension is fixable.

Too many riders fixate on peak horsepower, look at the shape of the torque curve too. I'd rather have lots of torque at all RPM's for a streetbike rather than have to row the gearbox to keep a peaky motor in the power band.

David

DJS is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-22-2002, 03:53 AM   #12
DJS
Founding Member

Default Cut them some slack

Jeez, I agree these aren't track machines but sometimes the best way to understand the strengths and weaknesses of a machine is to push it further than it was intended. These guys don't have the time to spend months racking up miles on these machines so an intense track session is a valid tool even for these bikes. They said in the article the street section is coming.

Besides if you were in these guys shoes with free bikes, free track access, and people begging them to do it, could you resist flogging these machines at the track?

David
Old 08-22-2002, 03:57 AM   #13
DJS
Founding Member

Default Two thumbs up!

Great content! Regardless of what the complainers say I think I'm getting my money's worth and then some from MO.

I am confused about the scoring system... I assume more points is better?

I'll bet another year's subscription that the street results are radically different except maybe the FZ will probably do well in both. I'm betting the 919 goes up a couple of notches. If only Honda hadn't cheaped out on the suspension it could have been so much more.

David

Old 08-22-2002, 04:32 AM   #14
lcarlson
Founding Member

On March 14 you wrote: "When it came time to do the "Naked Bike" story at Motorcyclist last year, the new 1150R got left out because, er, I don't know why, really, but it was in good company as those guys didn't want to include the Triumph Speed Triple either. (Yours truly lobbied that both bikes should be in the mix, which is probably, come to think of it, precisely why they were left out.)"

Er, I see that the Speed Triple made it this time, but where, pray tell, is the R1150R?

lcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 04:59 AM   #15
Denniscb900f
Founding Member

And the FZ1 is naked?

Dennis
Denniscb900f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 05:04 AM   #16
blackburd
Founding Member

I didn't see any lap times or comments from Hackfu and Stickie. Why are their ratings in the final tally, but not the guest testers?
blackburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 05:12 AM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

The most interesting thing I get out of this comparo is that buying a fully faired bike is a waste of money, unless you actually ride competitively. Why on earth ride around risking thousands of dollars worth of damage to the body work? These naked bikes perform as well or better than sportbikes for street/highway riding where most riders spend 99.9% of their time. Goose the throttle on the ZRX and wave bye-bye to the kid on the R6 who is frantically trying to find the right gear and get his tach over 10 grand.

A naked bike won't ruin your whole day if you accidently let it fall over in the parking lot. Pick it up, dust it off and ride away with a grin.
Old 08-22-2002, 05:20 AM   #18
chadhargis
Founding Member

I am sure the Beemer was left out because it would fair last in a track comparison. On the street, the 1150R is a sweet ride. Big on torque, low CG, and all day comfort. But on the track...it'd get eaten alive by the likes of the bikes in this compro. It's not what the 1150R was designed to do.

Of course...if this were a real-world compro (I've never been on a track, or dreamed of racing a motorcycle), the 1150R would fair pretty well. Great suspension, ease of maintenance, ABS brakes, solidly built, not to mention its striking good looks.
chadhargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 05:23 AM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

The Bandit1200 will get you adjustable suspension for $7399.

I can't figure what Honda was thinking when they offered the 919 in the face of the stiff competition from Suzuki and Kawasaki. Maybe it's the same corporate mindset that has them offering the "new improved" Vtec Interceptor that in reality has the same HP as the older engine and weighs over 20 pounds more. Honda's always done things their own way, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

But then my local supermarket also likes to raise the prices of items and call them "Bonus Buys".
Old 08-22-2002, 05:24 AM   #20
johnnyb
Founding Member

In a street environment, the R would easily hold its own of this I am quite certain. At Fontana, on the big track especially, its lack of horsepower would see it totally demoralized, and we didn't have the heart since we love that bike...

Bandit 1200 got left out because Suzuki's love for MO was on the wane at the time apparently. Or something. Would've been close to the FZ-1, hobbled by even less cornering clearance... but might've made up for it with killer motor? Sorry we had to leave it out.

In fact, there are a bunch of other bikes we'd have liked to include, but just lack the manpower and time--so based upon our experience, we pick and choose the ones we think are most appropriate.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote