Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-23-2002, 03:22 PM   #131
dwr461
Founding Member

Default Re: Hey KPaul

Beauty is subjective, and I think that the R1150R is pretty. It would however get eaten up on the track. BMW designed this bike for day to day street use. Just because it's not everyone's flavor coffee doesn't make it a bad bike. I might not like the brand of coffee you purchase at your house but that doesn't make it bad coffee.

Take care,

Dave
dwr461 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2002, 09:07 PM   #132
nekberg
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Naked Bike Shootout Reader Feedback

All bikes on both courses? NO. Why not!

Is this not the purpose of a shoot out?

Please retest, and if you are going to put fresh rubber on a bike, do it for the others.

nekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 06:30 AM   #133
DurangoKid
Founding Member

Default All these bikes suck!

Now that I have your attention:

There is SO much emphasis placed upon lap times, 1/4 miles times, top speeds, and horsepower figures that everyone seems to miss the point...

Did anyone even notice how the same riders, on the same bikes, on the same track on the same day posted drastically different lap times?

...Everyone seems to forget those factors such as rider skill, comfort and conditions have material effect on the outcome of these comparisons.

Burns' best time on the FZ-1 was 1:47 while Hatch's best time on the FZ-1 (his fastest time) was 2:04. Also, from top to bottom Hatch's times ranged less than a second. Apparently, it didn't matter what bike Jim was on... he was going to ride them the same speed.

Buy what appeals to you... and ride it.
DurangoKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 08:03 AM   #134
SilverBullet
Founding Member

Reading the specs carefully found one item that has me rolling on my back and laughing hard.

The avalilable colors listed for the Speed Triple are: blue, red and black. Now this "red" is Triumph's infamous "nuclear red" also referred to as "nu-queer red", it is a HOT PINK for crying outloud! Ha ha ha, it doesn't look red AT ALL.

SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 08:20 AM   #135
KPaulCook
Banned

Default New Naked from Moto Guzzi

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/23august02motoguzzi.html

Looks cool
KPaulCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 12:26 PM   #136
timaverage
Founding Member

thank you for finaly doing an article on "real" motorcycles, as to say motorcycles for the real world. the modern standard motorcycle has seemed to recently blur the line between the sports tourer and the race bike, and at the same time making the world of decent motor-technology accesible to the average motorcyclist.
timaverage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 07:43 PM   #137
Hair_Helmet
Founding Member

Repainting the tank and seat subframe at the moment...I'll be sure to take some pics.
Old 08-25-2002, 05:33 AM   #138
fdavis
Founding Member

Default Re: Suspension

I believe the Britten's girder-type front end had pro-dive (?) charateristics.

I miss John Britten.
fdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 06:33 PM   #139
jmp66
Founding Member

truth is it would be very difficult for 99% of riders on 99% of public roads to come ANYWHERE NEAR the limit of any of these bikes - much less the pure sportbikes. So it comes down to looks, ergos, ease of maintenance, sound, price etc. I would be happy with any of these (as well as the Bandit, BMW, Guzzi V11 etc.) it would be a tough choice. These are what street bikes should be like. This class of bike will only get more popular.
jmp66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 06:40 PM   #140
cota
Registered Member

A great write up on performance.

A consumer type observation; There isn't enough difference in performance or comfort indicated to for me to use as a buy decision point. A trip to the parts store, two evenings in the garage and would level the feild, and since I'd do that anyway, a broader range of information would be nice.

A good question would be, what is the average cost of typical performance upgrades; pipe, air filter, jetting, etc... How about typical service/maintenance costs, time between service, or mean time between failure data? Is there a difference there?

I guess, for me, money talks, and the best deal would be my ride. Standards are value machines, I'd value more data.

cota is offline   Reply With Quote