Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-23-2002, 02:48 AM   #101
DJS
Founding Member

Default Re: 2002 Naked Bike Shootout Reader Feedback

Dude, there is no single bike that started the naked thing except maybe the CB750. They've been making naked bikes for decades before the bandit. I owned a 93 ZR1100 and it was just like the bandit. Honda's nighthawks have been doing the naked thing for like 2 decades now. "Naked" is just a sexy marketing term for the old UJM.

David

DJS is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2002, 03:02 AM   #102
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Dosen't work if all the bikes aren't tested!!

I'm not too young to remember those days and lots of bikes didn't and still don't have centerstands. How do you work on your "blackvalkster"? I know they don't have centerstands either. I guess you needed something to hang your rant on.
Old 08-23-2002, 03:38 AM   #103
sarnali
Founding Member

yeah, JB, whats the story,? enquiering minds want to know
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 04:04 AM   #104
Tim_White
Founding Member

Default Re: Cut them some slack

Aw, man, why did you have to call me a bad name? Now my feelings are hurt and I'm feeling all vulnerable and *****. Actually, maybe I was a bit too caustic and hard on the MO boys. But, really, in their ceaseless drive to parody each other and themselves the print mags do all the pointless track tests I need to see. I thought maybe MO could do things a little differently. So shoot me, or hang me (but use an old rope, please--I'm delicate!).
Tim_White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 04:34 AM   #105
Jay_Mack
Founding Member

Default Itchface

Have the ants arrived yet? Go ants! Bye bye furniture.

Jay_Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 04:51 AM   #106
bandito1200
Founding Member

The ZR11 and B12 differ more than the basic specs might suggest.

The ZR11 was just a rehash of the 70's UJM, and that's why it collected dust on showroom floors.

The Bandit combined the big-bore 4 cyl. engine with more modern suspension, frame, and tires.

The B12 certainly wasn't the first big-bore naked bike, but it was the first modern one that people actually bought.

MJB

bandito1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 05:26 AM   #107
Haru
Founding Member

I AM SICK OF RACE TRACK TESTS. I particularly hate them when STREET focused bikes get evaluated by that means.

What a bunch of hooey. I like Motorcycle.com very much. Its the ONLY magazine I read anymore. But I am not going to swallow this muck. You want to ride R1s and GSXRs on the race track, be my guests. But ZRXs, for crying out loud?

with your obsession with the race track, I can see why bikes that are street focused never get an even break.
Haru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 05:29 AM   #108
TheFox
Founding Member

We don't get the XJR 1300 in the US.

--Foxy

The best bike to take a trip on is the one you have.
TheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 05:50 AM   #109
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Suspension

Hence why I said similar design theory. A no dive front end was all I was getting at. Without the brake dive you get full suspension travel under hard braking. On several of the MotoGP tracks like in south africa where they race trucks there are large bumps or ripples in the turn entrys. With more suspension travel available in theory you should be able to brake later into those turns. Or I could just be full of it. Either way I eagerly await BMW's entry into MotoGP to see if a racing telelever stands the industry on its ear, or is forgotten and written off...
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 06:15 AM   #110
12er
Founding Member

Default Re: Where is the previous naked bike winner?

I can tell you they are a hell of a lot more fun than one would imagine. Tall and narrow they are excellent for tight traffic. Though you will instantly become a punk, wheelies at every stoplight, looking for potholes or speed bumps to catch air off of, resisting the urge to cut through the park and wheelie through the sandbox, etc... It took a month to break the bad habits when I bought my K12RS. BTW K12s dont jump as well as one might think, though they are eager to head skyward on san francisco streets.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote