Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-20-2002, 03:22 AM   #71
twister299
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmet Laws

Good points all, but please tell me how my wife wearing a sting bikini, me carrying a concealed firearm or you walking in a cave in a state park impinges on anyoneÂ’s freedoms. I have said it many times in debates; it is not the government's job to protect people from themselves. And I will make the ONLY good argument for requiring people to wear seatbelt. If you are driving a car and need to make a violent maneuver to avoid some yahoo without a helmet that just got hit in the face by a bee. You will stay in your seat behind the wheel and be able to drive. Believe me I was a cop and jumped in the car many times to chase some bad guy, forgot the seatbelt and found myself driving from the passenger side of the car (bench seats you know) NO FUN bouncing off the roof.

Anyway, if Republicans would get out of my Private life they make the most sense. Governments donÂ’t need to save the world just keep the light on OK!

twister299 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2002, 03:27 AM   #72
robb_millett
Registered Member

Default Re: ''Helmet or Thick Skull'' Reader Feedback

Y'know, this scintilating palaver regarding the infamous "cost to society of disabled non-helmeted riders" is all well and good, but ultimately, who gives a rat's ass?

The helmet question is ultimately one of self interest. If you fall off, there's no guarantee you aren't gonna crack your head on the pavement, an event from which, we all know, nothing good will come. In that light, not wearing a lid is stupid, and lazy.

Due to my own self-interest, I don't wanna hurt my head, or wind up dead thru laziness.
robb_millett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 03:28 AM   #73
holybejesus
Founding Member

Regardless of helmet laws, whether or not the taxpayer pays for vegetables lying in beds, we would never see a difference in our taxes - the government would never pass such savings on to us. In the world of death we are still a minority and do not make up the majority of sick or near death individuals out there sucking up our tax dollars. So...now it it is just a matter of freedom. Personally I wear a helmet and my biggest fear is seeing some other dude's head splattered on the road. From that standpoint I wish folks would keep their brains contained in the event of an accident.
holybejesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 03:34 AM   #74
sanchin
Registered Member

I agree 100% with punishing any driver who causes an accident because they are distracted(cell phones, eating, shaving, whatever). The tough part on misfortune, is deciding the line between stupidity and accident. I know folks that have died in motorcycle accidents due to animals literally crashing into them. I also know folks that have died due strictly to their own negligence. Each citizen is responsible for their actions and fate, and if they (or I) happen to have bad luck, society as a whole has no responsibility to financially support the consequences.
sanchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 03:45 AM   #75
twister299
Founding Member

Good points all, but please tell me how my wife wearing a sting bikini, me carrying a concealed firearm or you walking in a cave in a state park impinges on anyoneÂ’s freedoms. I have said it many times in debates; it is not the government's job to protect people from themselves. And I will make the ONLY good argument for requiring people to wear seatbelt. If you are driving a car and need to make a violent maneuver to avoid some yahoo without a helmet that just got hit in the face by a bee. You will stay in your seat behind the wheel and be able to drive. Believe me I was a cop and jumped in the car many times to chase some bad guy, forgot the seatbelt and found myself driving from the passenger side of the car (bench seats you know) NO FUN bouncing off the roof.

Anyway, if Republicans would get out of my Private life they make the most sense. Governments donÂ’t need to save the world just keep the light on OK!

BTW I found if you respond to a post your rantings get buried down with the original and not with the newest posts if you sort that way.
twister299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 03:47 AM   #76
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

It's funny how everyone is howling about helmetless riders causing this and that, but the last time I checked Allstate stopped writing policies on motorcycles in California. Check this out:

"Allstate Insurance Company

California Region

Date: July 13, 2001

To: Allstate Exclusive Agents & Independent Agents

Re: Motorcycle/3-wheel ATV Policy Sales – Effective August 1, 2001

The adverse results that we have experienced for some time with the Allstate motorcycle line of insurance continue to worsen. In May, our YTD new

business loss ratio in California for the motorcycle line was a very unacceptable 160.5%. To help address this situation, effective on August 1, 2001, no new

motorcycle and 3-wheel all terrain vehicle (ATV) business may be written in any of the Allstate companies.

In an effort to service the California motorcycle/ATV market and to provide agencies with an outlet to write motorcycle/ATV business, effective August 1,

2001, we will allow eligible agents to sell insurance for motorcycles and 3-wheel all terrain vehicles through Pacific Specialty Insurance Company (OSIC),

A.M. Best "A" Rated and an affiliates company of the McGraw Group of Affiliated Companies. In order to be eligible to write new motorcycle/ATV business

with PSIC/McGraw, you must first be appointed by PSIC/McGraw.

We have taken this action to allow Allstate an opportunity to evaluate the motorcyle situation, prepare a business plan to address it, and resume the sale

of new policies in the near future. There are many issues to address. For example, our existing rating plan is only partially designed for the types of

motorcycles in today’s market. We are not surcharging high performance or sports bikes like our competitors are doing, which is contributing to adverse

selection.

Well there it is Johnny. Check the bold type(a little KPaul effect). Guess whats next on the plate for laws there in Californy John ole bud? Yep them sporty bikes. Like you said the stupid easy ones get solved and anyone can figure 9 second 180 mph sport bikes are killers. Anyone can figure that out right John? I guess those helmet laws weren't enough, and the other guys here are right about that.

Old 08-20-2002, 03:50 AM   #77
HNH750
Founding Member

Great Point,

I only hope that fellow riders will not have to experience the pain of having to visit

the family of a riding buddy and tell them he is never coming home. Next time you go

for a ride look your wife and kids straight in the eye and tell them you don't love them

enough to wear the very best riding gear. Hey it's more important on how you look

isn't it? Use common sense and fight for the rights that are most important, if we don't

we all lose. Right now insurance companies are starting to refuse medical coverage

to motorcycle riders and who can blame them. It's more important that we all get to

keep on riding so look at the big picture.

HNH750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 04:01 AM   #78
fr21555
Founding Member

ABC failed to point out that other states do not have the problems with increasing injuries due to bikers forgoing helmet use. I remember the story was an illustration of what happened in Florida, not necessarily reflective of a nationwide pattern.

The hospital EMT's comment was great, when told the minimum insurance required is $10,000 in Florida to ride without a helmet. "we can spend that in twenty minutes in here". I bet they can! Look at the medical industry in this nation, they make Enron look like chump change. Could it be that they're charging too much? Nah. Remember, medical insurance isn't for making you well through good care, it's there to make sure the doctor and the hospital get paid. Live or die, they gotta get paid.

It's funny, I always thought that as an adult, I had the right to make choices about my life. I also thought insurance was a contract I made with a company that takes the financial risk for me if I become hurt or killed. Isn't that why I pay premiums? Yeah, helmets can save lives but there are no guarantees with anything when it comes to riding. Nothing short of complete dominion over time and space is going to prevent us from getting into accidents with stupid cagers. They are still the bigger problem.
fr21555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 04:03 AM   #79
Emperor_Vir
Founding Member

Default Re: Helmet Laws

Actually it's the dummiecrats that want to tax and legislate everything out of existence, enact speech codes, quotas, etc. The pubbies are the ones most likely to side with your idea of limited government powers.
Emperor_Vir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 04:06 AM   #80
tshelver
Registered Member

Great arguments here folks. Support of liberty, freedom and all that Americans have fought for over the centuries.

Well, I don't really don't care about this particular aspect of liberty, because I wear a helmet all the time, so it doesn't affect me at all.

Just like most of the non-helmet wearing folks around my area also have open pipes and the V-Twin attitude, and could care less about my rights to some peace and quiet, and the ability to go about my business without being held up by 50 helmetless riders roaring along in formation at 10 per under the limit.

Just like they don't care that because of their casual attitude to protection and financial responsibility, my insurance rates and taxes go up every time they mess up.

And that is the basis of most decisions about why the authorities want helmet laws: because the majority of voters are tired of the selfish behavior of a large segment of riders, and will use the easiest target to go after them.

I hear the pro-rights folks spouting off about how unsafe helmets are, how they restrict vision, cause neck injuries, overheat the brain. The same riders who can't see because they have bugs in their eyes, and probably not much brain to affect anyway.

Funny how the same helmetless, freedom-loving riders ride their snowmobiles in winter in fullface helmets, without a murmur.

Funny how majority of the time their bikes spend on the road is while loaded on their airbag and seatbelt equipped trucks. Of course, these are the same folks who demand the 'freedom' to purchase these full-size trucks and SUVs because they feel much safer than in smaller vehicles...

Bring on the helmet laws. And the anti-noise laws. And enforce the bar-height laws. And maybe even introduce some mandatory protective gear laws. Definitely target all rider gatherings for alcohol consumption monitoring.

It won't affect me. It may intrude on the freedom of a bunch of other folks, but I don't care.

After all, they don't care about infringing on my rights to peace and quiet, and lower taxes.

Targeting the weekend wannabes may reduce the ranks of the born-again bikers, and return a bit of sanity to my life.
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote