Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-20-2002, 09:53 AM   #181
twister299
Founding Member

Default Re: ''Helmet or Thick Skull'' Reader Feedback

Just a follow up to my last post. I was just checking out the gear review on the MO page and it said when tempetures get around 75 degrees. That leather weather here in Florida.

Make me something that is going to be cool in 100+ and high humidity.
twister299 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-20-2002, 10:03 AM   #182
vcs700s
Founding Member

Actually, now that you mention it, I did finish at the top of the class- 100% on the written and 0 on the riding test. No points is best on that. It was a great class but it happened to be 95 degrees so the heat was a little tough to take!

I'm missing the point about opinions. Isn't that why John wrote the article- to hear from us? I believe he wanted some feedback/opinions. It is a free country, the last I looked at least, and we are allowed to give opinions. If you don't like them, sorry.

By the way- condom, dryer sheets, and I don't wear a cup when riding and I have two children and two grandchildren.

Life is good!
vcs700s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 10:09 AM   #183
Poser
Founding Member

Default Hey, I grew up there

In Ohio, that is, and even learned to ride a bike there, nearly 30 years ago. I ain't daid yit. [b] don't mean I kin HTML, good, tho [b]

OK, I had to try a KPaul. Did it work?
Poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 10:13 AM   #184
markszrz
Founding Member

In my younger years (23-25) I was an EMT for Ventura County (between Santa Barbara and Los Angeles) and we on the squad were blessed with what most Southern Ca. bikers know as Highway 33 and 150. This is some of the best motorcyle country in Ca. and where a lot of bike test are performed. As an EMT and motorcyclist, I have responded to my share of motorcycle TC's. I do agree with Rex but have to say some of my best times on a bike were before the mandatory helmet law. You know putting on a pair of sunglasses, going down to the local hangout (2-3 miles away) with other guys on bikes. I probably never went any faster than 35 but few times on my ZRX1200 and trusty RF900 helmet match those days. That being said - a good full face helmet will prevent many forms of head injury - especially at slower speeds. I have seem so many people slide out at slower speeds and the second thing that hits the ground is their head. Now I am talking about the guys wearing these so called "peanut helmets". The reality of these small peanut helmets is you will end up taking off your ear, nose etc.. and the top of your head will be protected. I am not sure if it's a false sense of security or these folks are saying Fu^& off to the establishment? In the end though, they can end up with a major brain injury and very few people come back 100%

markszrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 10:37 AM   #185
fr21555
Founding Member

I'll tell you what: you stop taking my tax money for women to get abortions on demand and I'll consider your issues on "your freedoms" where pipes, etc. are concerned.

It's amazing that the same people (the ones you apparently support) who want to force me to wear a helmet to minimize THEIR liabilities are the same ones who will gladly take MY $$ in taxes to kill unborn children because some idiots won't use protection (often again and again).
fr21555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 10:42 AM   #186
NortonVFR
Founding Member

Consider this:

If the punishment for riding without a helmet or driving without a seatbelt was community service (a day helping out in a rehab clinic for example), would would your state even bother to enforce the law?

The State becomes addicted to the revenue generated by "anti-social" behaviors. Fines are set high enough to generate meaningful cash flow, but low enough to avoid a popular revolt. Take away the financial incentive, put a burden on the courts and state legislature to come up with "appropriate" community service, and most states would repeal their laws as too bothersome.
NortonVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 10:56 AM   #187
Pacer
Founding Member

Just two of my personal experiance with motorcycle helmets. First, I was going down a service street when a driver wanting to turn left, pulled out of a driveway, and stopped their car in my lane. Yes, I went over the bars and had a nice slide. I was only going about 20MPH when I hit the car, yet my helmet had marks where my ear, eyebrows and top of my head would have been. Yes I got stiches that day, but none in my head. I won't mention that the fact that car tried to run. My second story happened this past sunday. I was trying to do something that my not have been that smart, but not really all that bad. Well, as you know, I went down. Unfortunatly the first thing I hit was my head on a large rock. Fortunatly the big gouge is out of my helmet not my head. The street wreck would have scared me. The one the other day would have killed me. Everyone who witnessed agrees. If you feel you need to look cool on your bike get a custom paint job on your helmet.
Pacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 11:01 AM   #188
Pacer
Founding Member

I live in Vegas (115 is hot 95 is comfortable), and bought a jacket with good ventalation. I don't ride short sleeved any more. Road rash sucks.
Old 08-20-2002, 11:05 AM   #189
Pacer
Founding Member

Smoking aside, the guys with massive head wounds must have some affect on our insurance rate.
Old 08-20-2002, 11:14 AM   #190
john
Founding Member

Abe, i really think that when congress was formed, the majority of the people involved in its formation and implementation had a much higher ideal about democracy than any single person in congress does today. If you look at the early days, they were always concerned about upholding the MEANING of the constitution. Now, they EXPLOIT the constitution. It is now the limit of what you can do, not the inspiration for it.

Because of this, no oath that any member takes mean anything anymore. Its just not the same environment.