Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   ''Helmet or Thick Skull'' Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/1349-helmet-thick-skull-reader-feedback.html)

seruzawa 08-20-2002 10:14 AM

Re: Regulations are good for you

I think you need to actually look at these regulations you love so much. You'd be interested to find out how many pounds of rat hair a ton of processed tuna can legally contain.

And those regulations never stopped Jack-in-the-Box from selling 'Roo-burgers, did they?

sarnali 08-20-2002 10:14 AM

Re: From 95% to 99%

righteous partyin' bro 1% ers are too manley to ***** with helmets, only us weenies to afraid of smearing our brains down the freeway wear helmets, Manly Bikers are too busy saving lives with their loud pipes to worry about getting hurt, or so I gather

KPaulCook 08-20-2002 10:17 AM

Re: From 95% to 99%

LOL good one

ARTBIZTOMMY 08-20-2002 10:20 AM

Re: ''Helmet or Thick Skull'' Reader Feedback

my god john, you're certainly hit on the topic that everyone has an opinion on, haven't you? i'm not sure where to start on this, so i'll just jump in with some random thoughts:

why is it that the guys riding the latest/fastest bikes always do so wearing flipflops, shorts and a backwards baseball cap? converslywise, why is it that the guys you see wearing proper headgear, leathers, gloves and back protectors are riding little twin cylinder kawasaki 500s?

it's my thought that the answer to the helmet issue comes down to a question of fashion. fashion rules which bikes we buy, how we ride and what we wear while we're riding. its all about our perceptions of ourselves...some people can't stand the thought of being seen on anything but a harley, regardless of the fact that 95% of the bikes on the marketplace are faster and more reliable. it defies all rational logic. the movies and biker rags have dictated to them that chaps (??!!) and vests and gloves without fingers and riding without a helmet are the fashion dictates of that tribe.

if the ama or anyone for that matter wants us all to start wearing helmets and leathers and kevlar gloves, they should finance a movie where the protagonist (wearing the above encoutrements, of course...) an average joe, is pursued relentlessly by britney spears and that barb wire babe, whose name escapes me now.

that orta do it, and the next week you'll have to pay your dealer a little something extra to move to the head of the waiting list for a new arai or set of alpinestars...

NortonVFR 08-20-2002 10:23 AM

The high expenses that Allstate is complaining about relate to repairs, not medical costs. Most auto and motorcycle insurance policies have modest coverage for medical payments to riders/drivers ($1,500 for example). The real cost associated with sport bikes is the cost of replacing plastic. This arises, in part, from the fact that there are few moto-body shops that will bondo, sand and paint your bike. Moto dealerships are not equiped for "body work". So all damaged parts have to be replaced with original equipment plastic. Helmet use did not influence Allstate's financial situation.

Also, are they really referring to 3 wheel ATVs? How many of these are left? Who in his right mind would actually insure one? Allstate must be talking about 4 wheel ATVs. Which indicates the real reason Allstate is losing money. How can they make money when they don't even know what kind of vehicles they are insuring?

KPaulCook 08-20-2002 10:28 AM

Re: John Burns: an exercise in contradiction

And many lives were saved.

You don't mention how many folks were saved or injuries reduced when seat-belt laws were implemented.

sarnali 08-20-2002 10:30 AM

Re: For once I agree with Lord Burns.

I don't care about economics, I care about EMT's pouring my brain back in my ears, going deaf [kind of too late for that] and gettin' hit in the face by ufo's on the freeway at my usual 80+, the whole helmet thing is about protecting yourself, not about cost.

seruzawa 08-20-2002 10:31 AM

Johnny's just using the "you're crazy" argument that my 10 year old likes to use.

KPaulCook 08-20-2002 10:33 AM

Excellent Post. Thanks it make sense to me that repair costs etc. would be the real culprit.

KPaulCook 08-20-2002 10:34 AM

Re: For once I agree with Lord Burns.

Agree I personally wear helmet for the same reasons you do.